Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM

165 posts, read 977,404 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a cheap apartment for some time now and I finally found two in my price range. The one apartment that I looked at first doesn't have any one bedrooms available, so the manager/owner (very nice guy) agreed to let me live in a 2 bedroom for $600, and then once a 1bedroom becomes available to let me move into that for $550. The prices at that apartment complex are $775 for 2bd, $650 for 1bd and $550 for a studio, and I can basically choose to rent whichever I want and get a $100 discount. The only problem is that there is no balcony/patio which is a big negative for me, even though I can set a table and a couple chairs outside the entrance.

The second apartment has a 1bd from $625 and the manager will go down to $595. I used to live in those apartments long time ago and the manager remembered me so I am in a way more "comfortable" renting there because I know the area etc. These apartments do have a balcony/patio, even though the one that's available is downstairs with a small size patio, but I can move to an upstairs once one becomes available.

I prefer the location of the 2nd one, the price for the first is slightly better (same price I get 2 bds) but the location is a little further from shopping etc but not too far (about a mile distance to the nearest plaza) and again, no patio/balcony. The second apartment is close to everything (shopping, borders etc) within walking distance.

For the first apartments $300 moves me in, for the second i will need first months + $300. The management at both is very friendly so that's not a problem.

So my question is should I choose the 2bd that's slightly bigger and better looking without a patio or to go for the 1bd that does have the patio that I am looking for and better location but pay the same price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Location, location, location.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 AM

84 posts, read 220,577 times
I really don't see what the benefit of the 1st would be? No dilemma here, IMHO

I agree with Snort. I would take the 2nd one for sure. It's not like you'll have the 2 bedrooms for long, if you'll be moving over to the 1 bedroom in that complex as soon as it becomes available, so that's not even something to really factor in to the equation. Think more long-term. Obviously having a balcony or patio and being close to things you can walk to are both important to you.

Here's how I see it:

Benefits of the 1st over the 2nd:
-45 cheaper/month for the 1 bedroom
-Cheaper move-in, possibly ??? (although I think you will really have to give 1st month's rent at both of the places once you move in, right? I mean, you'll be paying rent there... It's not like the other place will let you stay free the first month.)

Benefits of the 2nd over the 1st:
-Balcony/patio
-You know the manager and have experience renting there. (This is HUGE!!! You never know what they will really be like once you are locked in to a lease. Trust me.)
-You are "way more" comfortable there because you lived there before. You know where things are and how to get around. Again: HUGE.

Hands down: take #2

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalina View Post
I really don't see what the benefit of the 1st would be? No dilemma here, IMHO

-You are "way more" comfortable there because you lived there before. You know where things are and how to get around. Again: HUGE.

Hands down: take #2
Those would be the deciding factors for me as well. On a side note, if you take #1, a ground-floor apartment without patio, and set a table and chairs out by the door, be prepared top replace them periodically.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Can you link me the apt that is 775 for a 2 bedroom?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM

88 posts, read 227,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslover View Post
I've been looking for a cheap apartment for some time now and I finally found two in my price range. The one apartment that I looked at first doesn't have any one bedrooms available, so the manager/owner (very nice guy) agreed to let me live in a 2 bedroom for $600, and then once a 1bedroom becomes available to let me move into that for $550. The prices at that apartment complex are $775 for 2bd, $650 for 1bd and $550 for a studio, and I can basically choose to rent whichever I want and get a $100 discount. The only problem is that there is no balcony/patio which is a big negative for me, even though I can set a table and a couple chairs outside the entrance.

The second apartment has a 1bd from $625 and the manager will go down to $595. I used to live in those apartments long time ago and the manager remembered me so I am in a way more "comfortable" renting there because I know the area etc. These apartments do have a balcony/patio, even though the one that's available is downstairs with a small size patio, but I can move to an upstairs once one becomes available.

I prefer the location of the 2nd one, the price for the first is slightly better (same price I get 2 bds) but the location is a little further from shopping etc but not too far (about a mile distance to the nearest plaza) and again, no patio/balcony. The second apartment is close to everything (shopping, borders etc) within walking distance.

For the first apartments $300 moves me in, for the second i will need first months + $300. The management at both is very friendly so that's not a problem.

So my question is should I choose the 2bd that's slightly bigger and better looking without a patio or to go for the 1bd that does have the patio that I am looking for and better location but pay the same price?
With the initial discount, they raise it later and get you anyway. So, don't base it on the small difference in $$. Base on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento