Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
OUCH - $800 for a house? That's tough. MAYBE $800 for a one bedroom apartment.

Most houses (that's 3 bd 2 bath average) are going for $1500- $1800, and depending on where you are.

Check out Craigslist.

And you MIGHT find something for $1200 in a decent neighborhood, but it will pretty tiny. And it also depends on your definition of "decent" - is that Midtown/East Sac. Or is it the Burbs?
Decent means, that there are a lot of decent, open minded (not redneck LOL) people living in the area and that I don't have to fear for my life. Burbs are fine, when I say Sacramento, I mean the whole metroplex.... and maybe where the air quality isn't to bad... and a dog park not far away. Dog park is important to me and my dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
Dog Parks in City of Sac
City of Sacramento Off Leash Dog Parks

County Parks
Dog Parks

Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Decent means, that there are a lot of decent, open minded (not redneck LOL) people....
Well, that's certainly open-minded!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, that's certainly open-minded!
So, you mean, when you are open-minded, you are not allowed to have preferences? Hmmmm....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Dog Parks in City of Sac
City of Sacramento Off Leash Dog Parks

County Parks
Dog Parks
Great info, thank you.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 AM

898 posts, read 827,922 times
I left Sacto in the mid-90's (to move out of state) after living there on and off for about 10 years. Graduated college there in '78 and always enjoyed the cycling opportunities. The American River Parkway and Ancil Hoffman are two real jewels. The rivers are great (if they don't flood and the levees hold). Golf used to be decent there too.

I lived in Campus Commons and then in the Pocket area. When I lived there both air force bases were still open and it was fun seeing all the hardware in the sky on a daily basis.

As the OP is asking for positives, I'll leave off my long list of negatives but I do enjoy the occasional visit and have some nostalgic good feelings for the Big Tomato as so many important life events happened there.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
So, you mean, when you are open-minded, you are not allowed to have preferences? Hmmmm....
Absolutely not what I mean. What I mean is there are more delicate ways to express one's desires without insulting country farmers and coal miners en masse and stereotyping the denizens of waste swaths of the country as is common on the California boards.

This has NOTHING to do with political correctness, which I loathe. This has everything to do pejorative labeling of down-home people who are honest, hard working, welcoming and gracious even if they do lack higher educations and a high degree of "sophistication." I'll take them any day over plastic people full of their own self-importance.

Instead of "rednecks," substitute "low-lifes" and I'm right there with you. I believe the latter term encapsulates what you find objectionable, as do I. There's a huge difference between class and location.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM

248 posts, read 803,659 times
Quote:
So what do you like best about Sacramento and what activities you like to do? I know there are quite a few dog parks there, so that is a great. I love to ride my bike with my dog and I know it is far from bike friendly Portland, but I think it is improving.
Thanks in advance for all the wonderful tips you are giving
The American River Parkway is one of my favorite places-
http://www.msa2.saccounty.net/parks/...iver%20Parkway
It's got it all, running, biking, horse trails, fishing, bird watching, etc....

Last edited by Sactoslacker; 01-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: New link

Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 38,334 times
Ok, so I do not mind living by the "working class". Fine with me.
Just don't want to live in a high crime area or where the "low lives" live
Or close to. Need the best bang for the buck.
Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Absolutely not what I mean. What I mean is there are more delicate ways to express one's desires without insulting country farmers and coal miners en masse and stereotyping the denizens of waste swaths of the country as is common on the California boards.

This has NOTHING to do with political correctness, which I loathe. This has everything to do pejorative labeling of down-home people who are honest, hard working, welcoming and gracious even if they do lack higher educations and a high degree of "sophistication." I'll take them any day over plastic people full of their own self-importance.

Instead of "rednecks," substitute "low-lifes" and I'm right there with you. I believe the latter term encapsulates what you find objectionable, as do I. There's a huge difference between class and location.

Sorry, when you felt that I insulted you. Rednecks I use like I use low-lives (what ever that means), I think that is far more harsh. My husband is a truck driver, I am an office clerk, who is early retired. We both don't have so called "higher education" but that doesn't mean we are uneducated or unsophisticated (what ever that means).
Maybe I just like people around me, where I can have a good conversation about all kinds of subjects.
Anyway, if I insulted anybody, I didn't mean to put anybody down. I have friends from all kind of background, that's what I mean with open-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento