Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times

Advertisements

I am sure Sacramento has its nice areas but from what I hear, overall it has its limits. So, for a more sophisticated demographic ie child-free fortysomethings who read books, drink wine, and wear nice clothes and have pride in homeownership (old classic courtyard Styles being top of the list) but can't afford 300 a sq ft, are the towns around Sacramento or between Sacramento and San Francisco do-able? Towns that have farmers markets, and cool little book and antique shops, that are really really nice and less expensive than SF?

Also is there a somewhat civilized daily train service between Sacramento and San Francisco? Thanks!

Been on too many cattle cars back east -I think they called it Metro North..hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
Sacramento

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
I honestly can't tell if the OP is serious or trolling...but for now I will assume they are serious. Although starting a thread by suggesting that the total strangers one is addressing are a bunch of uneducated rubes in ramshackle sheds, and kindly asking for directions on where our betters might be found, is enough to make me arch an eyebrow.

Sacramento has farmer's markets, book and antique stores, although even if we do have a population that meets your basic requirements, I imagine that Sacramento probably wouldn't be quite precious enough for you. There are wealthy enclaves in the north bay, east bay and the wine country that you might find acceptable, but if you can't afford San Francisco you probably can't afford those places either.

There is train service, although it doesn't actually go to San Francisco--you have to transfer in order to get over the Bay. Amtrak Capitol Corridor trains run from Sacramento to the East Bay (some ending in Oakland, some in San Jose) and there are transfer points to SF at Richmond (via BART) and Emeryville (via Amtrak bus.) The trip takes about 2 hours. Not sure what your requirements regarding "somewhat civilized" are, but I find them quite comfortable.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:06 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
!

Been on too many cattle cars back east -I think they called it Metro North..hahaha
You're right - Metro North is like a sardine can. I used to get on in New Haven and by the time I reached Grand Central it was standing room only much of the time.
In Sac, there is the Capitol Corridor (Amtrak) that leaves several times a day to the Bay Area. It's a spacious, regular sized train (compared to Metro North). Direct access into SF is not possible because of the bay so you will need to disembark in Richmond and take BART into the city which is pretty seamless.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Take a look at Davis, Walnut Creek and Petaluma.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:16 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
I am sure Sacramento has its nice areas but from what I hear, overall it has its limits. So, for a more sophisticated demographic ie child-free fortysomethings who read books, drink wine, and wear nice clothes and have pride in homeownership (old classic courtyard Styles being top of the list) but can't afford 300 a sq ft, are the towns around Sacramento or between Sacramento and San Francisco do-able? Towns that have farmers markets, and cool little book and antique shops, that are really really nice and less expensive than SF?

Also is there a somewhat civilized daily train service between Sacramento and San Francisco? Thanks!

Yes. Sacramento. But of course, you were too busy with your nose in the air to notice.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Not having kids, reading books and drinking wine makes one sophisticated?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Not having kids, reading books and drinking wine makes one sophisticated?
Look don't get so prickly and overly sensitive people..I was merely trying to cut to the chase so you didn't go on about school systems and subdivisions...neither of which is an issue with me. I am far from a pretentious twit - I just don't want to live next to joe 6 pack and believe me, he doesn't want to live next to me.. And no I can't afford the size house I need in Sonoma at least not until my song gets bought
I've lived in Manhattan and Los Angeles, and for a bit in SF but am not familiar with your neck of the woods... -thanks for the info on the trains - I did some digging after I posted this and yes, I should have done more homework before sounding like such an A-hole. Mea culpa. BTW I poked around online and found a house in Elk Grove that was a smashing new build for under a 100 a sq ft..wow..hard to touch that anywhere else.

And one more thing, I found SF to be egregiously pretentious 80% of the time..it's that 20% that will rip your heart out.

Cheers and thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Take a look at Davis, Walnut Creek and Petaluma.
Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Quote:
Look don't get so prickly and overly sensitive people..I was merely trying to cut to the chase so you didn't go on about school systems and subdivisions...neither of which is an issue with me. I am far from a pretentious twit - I just don't want to live next to joe 6 pack and believe me, he doesn't want to live next to me.. And no I can't afford the size house I need in Sonoma at least not until my song gets bought
I've lived in Manhattan and Los Angeles, and for a bit in SF but am not familiar with your neck of the woods... -thanks for the info on the trains - I did some digging after I posted this and yes, I should have done more homework before sounding like such an A-hole. Mea culpa. BTW I poked around online and found a house in Elk Grove that was a smashing new build for under a 100 a sq ft..wow..hard to touch that anywhere else.

And one more thing, I found SF to be egregiously pretentious 80% of the time..it's that 20% that will rip your heart out.

Cheers and thanks!
Which is why you should have asked whether or not what you were looking for can be found in Sacramento, rather than assuming it isn't. It is perfectly acceptable to specify that you don't care about things like school districts or suburban subdivisions, as there are others here who share that disregard, and it's downright nice to ask if places like wine bars, great used bookstores and the best antique shops are. We do have some, but maybe I'd rather not have you digging through them getting all the good stuff first...

I can guarantee you that what you are looking for will not be found in Elk Grove. It's a nice enough suburb if you value good school systems and brand-new suburban subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento