Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM

8 posts, read 31,903 times

Advertisements

My husband may be taking a job in Lodi, CA. We would be moving from a suburb of Chicago and are looking for where in the area we could raise our kids (aged 10 and 4).

I think we would want to buy a house around $200,000 but would we be able to move into a safe community for that amount of money? I'm considering Elk Grove? Safe is a number one priority, decent schools would be a plus. Any comments, thoughts, advice would help me out so much, thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 31,752 times
Type "Elk Grove shootout" in Google and you might be surprised at how many shootouts and gun related incidents there are in that area. I wouldn't move my family there (personally) To be perfectly honest, unless you are willing to commute there aren't many "good" areas near Lodi. Around Lodi is mostly farming communities and you might have to be willing to drive for grocery's and amenities if you want safe, basically, stay towards the country cause the cities the crime is high. But if commuting sounds bad to you and you want to be near grocery stores and things to do then you might have to sacrifice safety and learn to live with certain things. It probably isn't what you want to hear, sorry.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Thank you for your honesty. I was afraid of that, in my research so far, that was the conclusion I was starting to draw. I guess I should keep on crossing my fingers that a job offer in Chicago area comes along soon, soon, soon!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
If the job is in Lodi then why are you considering Elk Grove.

Stick to Lodi it has good public schools and is a very safe medium size city, close to everything. Well as safe as a city can be in the Central Valley. Trust me I know living in Stockton a few miles away.

Good luck. Welcome to the tax base!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 PM

61 posts, read 219,019 times
There are some very nice areas of Elk Grove, so I would not worry too much about being able to find a safe neighborhood if that is the direction you choose to go. As with all "cities" there are good and bad neighborhoods and you will need to do your homework.

Another place to look would be Galt, or Lodi. Galt is a super cute little town, Lodi is a bit bigger, but still has a lot of the benifits of a smallish town. You can find a decent, safe, home, in your price range in both areas. You can browse homes easly on metrolistmls.com and cross reference potential neighborhoods with crime reports and the megans law website to get a better idea of what is out there.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Thank you for your responses! We will be taking a scouting trip out there in the next month to see if we like the area.

Right now I guess I am just completely discouraged by some internet sites that rate the crime, you know? I certainly don't live in an affluent suburb right now, always thought it was pretty regular (I would feel perfectly safe walking in the middle of the night, others would tell you differently and the truth is probably somewhere in between.) On one particular site my town's crime index is 35 out of 100 (higher being better). Elk Grove rates 26, Galt and Lodi are 10 and 12 respectively so it seemed so low. And dangerous? Still must research, I guess.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

68 posts, read 310,062 times
Elk Grove is a cesspool!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Seeing as how you posted here I hope you looked at this:

//www.city-data.com/city/Lodi-California.html

Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 PM

20 posts, read 49,446 times
Hey Becca,

You are going to be limited to a small number of areas by that budget, and might want to think about commuting with a car that gets good gas mileage. Your post made me think of Tahoe Park. Tahoe Park, Sacramento, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you could probably afford something there if you are willing to do some rehab work. Message me if I can be of any help, and good luck!

Mike

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,693 times
Galt and Lodi are pretty much only dangerous if you're in a Hispanic gang. I would not worry about danger in either of those cities.

The only thing I see non-criminal, non-drug related, non-gang related people being a victim of in either city is car/home burglaries due to the ones I just listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento