Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM

16 posts, read 51,079 times

Advertisements

I've just moved back to Placerville after 4 years in the Portland Oregon area. It tool a year or so to adjust to PDX, but I ended up appreciating so much. Now, back to CA, I am disappointed to find groceries have extremely limited organic and vegetarian food, the library is badly supported (resulting in shelves full of very old books), and the weather is hotter than I remembered. Anyone have ideas for resources, and activities for a retired vegetarian Progressive?
I'm glad to be back to family and familiar things, but ... need some help re-acclimating.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
I'd recommend moving farther west to Sacramento, especially the parts close to downtown--we're basically Portland with palm trees.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
It is unusual to find smaller counties with good libraries. Although, I didn't think the Placerville library was that bad when I went in there. When I go into libraries in those areas it is usually because I'm looking for something related to the history of the area.

I don't think libraries are very well supported anywhere. Library users are a mostly a small niche of people in the middle-class. The Republicans don't think we need them and the Democrats prefer to distribute funding in a way that will buy them votes.

I don't know how you can think it is hotter. This is turning out to be the coolest summer in 29 years.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
You might want to check out Grass Valley/Nevada City. Kvmr is based there. The Briarpatch is located there. There are several yoga/ zen retreat centers. Lots of local theater. Hoyts Crossing on the South Yuba is local clothing optional swimming hole. Nevada City is where Ricky Waters fled to smoke pot and do yoga when he quit the Miami Dolphins. If you are looking for some sort of progressive paradise in the mountains to commune with nature, in this area I would say Grass Valley and Nevada City are the big areas for that.

Welcome to KVMR 89.5 FM Music of the World. Voice of the Community. Nevada City, CA 95959

BriarPatch Co-op Community Market

Ring Of Bone Zendo | A Zen Center in Nevada City, California

Welcome to Nevada Theatre

What created the progressive concentration in Grass Valley and Nevada City was ex-hippies who moved to the area to grow weed. You can find pockets of that in other foothill communities based on the strength or weakness of the local community. Downieville and Foresthill are other communities where the local pot growers tend to head into town for supplies. So you can find surprising concentrations of progressives there. The ski resorts and the forest service tend to also attract a fair number of 420 devotees so again, in areas around say Kirkwood, you will find a large progressive contingent.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 51,079 times
Well, my home is firmly in Placerville - I'm not looking to relocate.
And yes it IS hot here, compared to Portland, where my body has been for 4 years. I will get used to it, but right now...I'm sweating!
The libraries in Portland, for some reason, are supported well enough to keep the shelves lined with "new" books, that is less than 10 years old. The Placerville library has small selections within categories, and most are outdated.
So - what I am hoping to find here are places to buy good food, and people to meet up with, go out to eat, discuss progressive values, that sort of thing.
I used to live in Auburn, so I know about Grass Valley etc, but surely I don't have to travel that far to find like-minded folks?!
I'm wondering how "Progressives" are defined herein. It doesn't mean pot-smoking, nude yoga practitioners to me.
Thanks for responses. I should have been more specific in my request for info!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,248,183 times
ED county is heavily Republican/Tea Party country. You wont find many free-thinking people there as a group.
Who needs books when FOX news is the Gospel?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
If youi lived in Placerville before, you probably already know how conservative the country is up that way, and how much smaller Placerville is than Portland, which means a resulting smaller selection of restaurants and other amenities. If you arten't willing to relocate, be willing to tolerate what is there--or be ready foir disappointment, as Placerville is unlikely to chane just to meet your preferences. Although from what I have heardabout the mayor up there, it appears you at least have big-city corruption!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 25,056 times
Where are you all from anyway??...we have farmers market on sat and wed...we all grow are own stuff..safeway and raleys have some organics we have the tibetan monks you gotta tune into this stuff...people seem to mind their mind here too....and we will have whole foods($$) in a month in EDH>not too many cowboys left thanks to the economy..

Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Default Progressives in El Dorado County?

So them freakin' progressives is gonna ruin another area, huh?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksNPDX View Post
I've just moved back to Placerville after 4 years in the Portland Oregon area. It tool a year or so to adjust to PDX, but I ended up appreciating so much. Now, back to CA, I am disappointed to find groceries have extremely limited organic and vegetarian food, the library is badly supported (resulting in shelves full of very old books), and the weather is hotter than I remembered. Anyone have ideas for resources, and activities for a retired vegetarian Progressive?
I'm glad to be back to family and familiar things, but ... need some help re-acclimating.
Thanks.
Well, two things immediately come to mind. One is look at the huge difference in population density just between Portland and all of EDC (and it takes lotsa people to support "alternatives")! The other is that IMHO, these days Valley conservatives in general are simply more "vocal" and "visible" than you may have last remembered them (which was also during a totally different Presidential administration back then)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento