Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 AM

10 posts, read 25,220 times

Advertisements

East Sacramento may be interesting. I am looking for a place that is reasonably priced with off street parking and within walking distance to a few decent restarants and bars. This is why i first thought of midtown. Would East Sacramento match these criteria? If so, which areas and what are the difference in crime, lifestyle, conveniences, etc. between midtown and East Sacramento? In researching reviews, I also realize that I need to also factor in and try to avoid noisy neighbors like fresh out-of-college kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:02 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,847,903 times
Thumbs up East Sac

Yes, IMO, East Sac matches your criteria. I never lived in midtown, just worked there so I can't tell you a whole lot about living there. There are a whole lot less homeless folks roaming the streets in East Sac, although the do congregate at the Safeway & McD's on Alhambra & J St. I didn't go over there much due to the loitering & panhandling. I think there is a recycle center at Safeway also, which seemed to attract them. And I used to see a stray homeless person wandering through the neighborhood along the main throughways, like Folsom Blvd. This is quite unlike my old worksite at 20th & J St where they used to sleep on our doorstep, in the trash area in the alley, or follow us across the street after dark -- scary times for females working alone in the office after dark (& yes, a friend & I were approached by a drunk homeless ugly man when walking across J St at night, but we escaped without injury).

There are bars, restaurants & shopping (grocery, drug store, etc) within walking distance of East Sac...I'm speaking of the Fab 40's (4100 Folsom), McKinley Park area...with the borders of Hwy 80, Hwy 50, & Elvas. The Elmherst neighborhood is within walking distance also, and IMO should be considered also; another really nice neighborhood. We used to walk down to Trader Joes on Folsom & 50th.....
The BR&S would be along Alhambra Blvd, J St, H St & Folsom Blvd. I miss all the great restaurants in that area! Like.....
http://onespeedpizza.com/
http://www.sellands.com/
http://www.latrattoriabohemia.com/
http://www.chefevan.com/
http://www.33rdstreetbistro.com/
Here's a list: http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/36/3514/Sacramento/East-Sacramento-restaurants

The www.sacrentals.com website has many listings for East Sac. The areas closest to Sac State -- towards Elvis, and along J St, may have the highest percentage of college kids, but not sure...although, I think a lot live across the street in the River Park area. I believe there are a number of frat/sorority houses on J St between Alhambra & 35th St or so. I don't remember seeing a lot of college students in/around East Sac except at the BR&S, and over the holidays.
In addition, I hear there are many older, non internet savvy folk that own multiple reasonably priced rentals that advertise with the sign in the window.

You may want to check out some of the neighborhood specific newsletters, such as the East Sac Newspaper East Sacramento News – Archives | Valley Community Newspapers, Inc.
Inside East Sac Our Current Covers
East Sac Preservation February | 2011 | East Sacramento Preservation

East Sac/McKinley Park/Fab 40's is one of "the" elite areas of Sacto. As I said, it was the perfect neighborhood for my intro to the region.
I'm sure wburg can fill us in on the history of East Sac.

Last edited by caligirlz; 01-12-2012 at 01:13 AM..

Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
"Reasonably priced" will be a little more difficult in East Sacramento. It's quieter and crime is lower, mostly because the bars and nightclubs are in Midtown rather than East Sac. There's more money in East Sacramento as well. It may be harder to find a rental simply because there aren't many rentals in East Sac: it's mostly owner-occupied single-family homes, with only a few apartment buildings, while Midtown is about 85% rentals with only a few owner-occupied single-family homes. The "Thrifty Thirties" (western edge of East Sac from Alhambra to 39th) and the Alhambra Triangle (Alhambra-34th south of R Street) are a good middle-ground option with lots of local restaurant options. East Sac is pleasant and charming.

Midtown has more density and more options in more price ranges, but it's definitely less "upscale." For some, that's a positive: Midtown has effectively resisted traditional "gentrification" in that there are still a lot of working-class and poor people in the central city, but there are also middle-class and wealthy living side by side, and a lot of the hipster/artist/musician contingent is still here, except the ones who have moved to Oak Park because it's cheaper. It's part of what gives the neighborhood its character--despite the fact that it isn't all high-rises and zero lot line buildings, Midtown has the closest thing to an urban feel you'll find in the Sacramento region.

And yes, because a lot of the apartments are private rentals whose main advertising method is a sign in the window, often wandering the streets is the best way to go--both because you can catch the signs, and because it gives you a great sense of the neighborhood. A bike (there are several bike rental places in town) can make this easier--fast enough to cover some distance, but easier to stop when you see rental signs.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM

54 posts, read 147,326 times
Pizza - "One Speed" on Folsom Blvd. in East Sac near the Fab Forties.
OneSpeed Pizza. Bikes. Love.
A neighborhood pizza place and bar (serves other food, too) with lots of locals of all ages there.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Hello All:

I thought that I would provide an update given all of the great information that you provided. I moved to Sacramento on the last weekend of January. I started looking at apartments mostly in midtown. Since my new job started Feb 1, I thought that the smartest thing to do would be to get a short-term (7 month lease) apartment in Roseville (near my job) and take my time in figuring out where I wanted to live permanently. The Roseville apartment in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with DW, W/D and patio for under $1100. I thought that it was a pretty good deal and cheaper than an extended stay hotel. I am loving the weather so far. Sacramento is no NYC, but I think that I can adjust here and be comfortable. Now my question is if Midtown is worth the premium rents to Roseville. Also, midtown seems more 20 something and I may feel like a creepy old man in that social scene. However, I have not found the social scene in Roseville yet, but feel it probably less than mediocre.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 PM

If you look closer, a lot of those 20 somethings in Midtown are actually 40 somethings (or 50 somethings on up)--it all depends on the location, and sometimes, the night. A lot of central city places get a surprising diversity of ages, while others cater more to a youth crowd. Middle age is maybe the odd man out, simply because a lot of folks of child-raising age have moved to the suburbs, so non-child-raising folks in that age range end up with friends outside that age box (which is probably why a third of my friends are in their twenties and a third are senior citizens.)

Part of the decision may depend not so much on how Midtown compares to NYC but on how Roseville compares to Midtown.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM

After a couple of weekends in Roseville, I am determined to move to Midtown Sacramento as soon as my short-term lease is done. I have walked the area around 18th & L to 16th & O and think that some place in the high teens to mid 20s between I and N streets might fit the ticket. Big question is whether it makes sense to rent or try to buy a loft/condo (that I may eventually turn into investment property). Any comments on real estate values in midtown, especially 2 bedroom/2 bath condos/lofts?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 AM

The condos at 18th & L have gone through some weird legal battles recently, which might make them a good investment if things stabilize, but it's probably going to continue to be weird as the developer recently filed bankruptcy. There isn't much in the way of condos/lofts otherwise in that defined area, mostly apartments (about 85% of the central city is rental units) and historic homes. A bungalow in one of the historic neighborhoods (Boulevard Park or New Era Park) might work well for you, they have held more of their value than comparable new units, unless you're really not into yard work (and I realize owning an old house isn't for everyone.) The hotel at 15th & L has some condo units with awesome views of Capitol Park and the coastal range on its upper floors, but they're obviously pricey. The lofts at 2020 H Street might be worth a look too, losing the views (it's a two-story building in a tree-lined neighborhood) but in a very nice part of town right next to the commercial district.

Maybe it's just my boosterism showing, but the combination of a restarting economy and high gas prices give me the sense that prices in the central city are going to start going up again--in other words, a good time to buy.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,524 times
Stable neighborhoods tend to retain their values best. Midtown is still evolving, which is part of what makes it interesting. If you want an investment, look in one of the neighborhoods that ring Midtown - East Sac, Curtis Park, Land Park - or try and find a stable block in Midtown, without too many buildings that look out of place. I went through this same decision way back when I bought - my lifestyle wanted to be in Midtown, but as an investment I chose East Sac. I was right. I still have the same dilemma though, and find a lot of my social life in Midtown, which is an easy bike ride from home in East Sac.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,524 times
p.s. Everything that wburg has to say is right on. Except baseball - you don't have to go to the Bay Area. Rivercats AAA ball is a bargain, they produce an impressive number of star players, it's easy to get to, and an evening at Raley Field is delightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento