Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:48 PM

5 posts, read 23,214 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding moving and contacting the USPS.

Say someone wants to move out, while the rest of their family is staying, and they and a sibling have hyphenated FIRST names that are similar. For anonymity's sake, let's pretend one is named John-Louis Smith while their sibling is named John-Adams Smith. Usually people contact the USPS when they move so their mail can be forwarded for a certain time, but wouldn't there be complications in this case because of the similar names?

I talked to one former post office worker who said that it WOULD be a problem because when forwarding, they look at both the last name and then the first few letters of the first name. So in this case, they would make no differentiation between these two names and thus would indeed forward both siblings' mail to to the new address.

I'm thinking to avoid this, you would just NOT contact the USPS, but continue to notify the usual places individually (DMV, voter reg, banks, etc.), and since the rest of the family are still living at the old address, they can just forward any missent mail to the new address themselves.

But is this legal? Is it a legal requirement to contact the USPS when you move like it is with the DMV?

Last edited by Dramigens; 08-30-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
I don't believe so. They provide mail forwarding only as a service, and it expires. I wish it were illegal, then we'd stop getting so much crap meant for the house's previous owners.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
The post office worker has no clue what they are talking about, it is not illegal not to contact the post office when you move but if you do a change of address you would do a SINGLE change NOT the entire household so IF the post office forwards mail for anyone other than the single name listed on the change of address card (can also be done online) that would be THEIR ERROR and not on you.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:28 PM

Thank you for the responses everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The post office worker has no clue what they are talking about, it is not illegal not to contact the post office when you move but if you do a change of address you would do a SINGLE change NOT the entire household so IF the post office forwards mail for anyone other than the single name listed on the change of address card (can also be done online) that would be THEIR ERROR and not on you.
The problem is that two siblings share very similar names. So the sibling who is staying behind might have their mail forwarded as well. Apparently the forwarding system only takes into account the last name and the first 3 letters of the first name, which happens to be the same for both siblings. I think I'm going to have to contact them directly in person or by phone to confirm once and for all. :/

Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Not a law to notify the Post Office.
We did just find that it is illegal to not change your voting registration address.
You are required by law to update your auto registration and drivers license within 10 days of moving.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramigens View Post
Thank you for the responses everyone!

The problem is that two siblings share very similar names. So the sibling who is staying behind might have their mail forwarded as well. Apparently the forwarding system only takes into account the last name and the first 3 letters of the first name, which happens to be the same for both siblings. I think I'm going to have to contact them directly in person or by phone to confirm once and for all. :/
I have moved 8 times in 5 years and it is NOT a requirement and the post office is supposed to look at the ENTIRE NAME NOT JUST the first few letters of the name.

I contact everyone individually simply because I do NOT want all the junk mail and crap being forwarded but it is NOT a law to contact the post office and they cannot legally forward any mail for anyone who has NOT requested their mail be forwarded.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We did just find that it is illegal to not change your voting registration address.
That's interesting since I don't think you're necessarily required to register to vote to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have moved 8 times in 5 years and it is NOT a requirement and the post office is supposed to look at the ENTIRE NAME NOT JUST the first few letters of the name.

I contact everyone individually simply because I do NOT want all the junk mail and crap being forwarded but it is NOT a law to contact the post office and they cannot legally forward any mail for anyone who has NOT requested their mail be forwarded.
Thanks for the input. Sadly these similar names have caused my family lots of headaches before :/ Some people just seem to assume that the 2nd part of the compound first name is just a middle name, so they ignore it.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Just a thought, but If you are one of these alleged siblings, why don't you legally change your name & make it less confusing for everyone?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Just a thought, but If you are one of these alleged siblings, why don't you legally change your name & make it less confusing for everyone?
Believe me I've spent many sleepless nights contemplating it, but it would create its own paperwork headache, especially now that I'm in my 20's (whereas if I was much younger it wouldn't be as much of an issue). People do it all the time but there will be inevitable mixups due to name changes as well. Education records would be one issue. This whole debacle has given me so much stress.

Last edited by Dramigens; 08-30-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 PM

70 posts, read 233,974 times
You are not required to notify the post office that you have moved. Just change your address with all of the appropriate creditors, banks, insurance companies, etc. And notify the DMV if you have a driver's license/State issued I.D, or car registered in your name. If you are living in the same county, the DMV can also change your address with the registrar of voters. If you've moved to a new county, you will need to re-register to vote in your new county (if you so wish, as being registered to vote is not a requirement.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento