Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 09:06 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Any dissuasion about Sacramento weather, today, in the past, and the short term future meeets the premise of this thread, and how we compare with other places is useful as well.

Today is likely the last day Sacramento will see any temps above 92F for this Summer.

Today, Sept 7, 2018
How can you make such a prediction? Every year is different. Last year, it was in the upper 100s in early September, and the last 90 degree day was on 9/30. I've seen it near triple digits on Halloween in Walnut Creek (rarely), and I remember many mid-October days growing up in the 1980s hovering around 90f. And mid to upper 80s were being recorded in Sacramento last year up until 10/28. I would definitely not count out more 90 degree days, but they'll be less frequent and less intense because the sun is weaker, and the nights cool off more, as you said. Early September is pretty early to call it a day IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Sept and much of October usually brings the warmest and fog free days to coastal areas near Sacramento which means our natural air conditioner, the Sacramento Coastal-Delta Breeze can be muted; so how does Sac still stay cooler and compared to SoCal and the desert Southwest... the shorter days, the sun rises later and sets earlier, and Sac is so much further North, Fall is more distinctive up here.
Well, there are lots of factors besides latitude that affect climate, as we can tell by the fact that the same latitudes have different climates across the globe. It's not unusual for Dallas, TX to get an occasional snowstorm in the winter, even though it's farther south than LA and even San Diego. That's because it's landlocked and not protected from polar air by mountains. Sacramento, by comparison, stays very mild because it's quite close to the moderating influence of the Pacific, along with the protection of the mountains along the California/Oregon border. SoCal gets extra hot because of the Tehachapis along its norther border as well as the topography of the coast veering strongly eastward so that LA is farther east than Reno. The deserts are protected by mountains. So there are lots of additional factors.

Sacramento's fall climate is much warmer than places with traditional four seasons, such as the Midwest, Northeast, or Northwest, and in fact was about ten to fifteen degrees warmer during the day most of last October than Palermo, Sicily, with which it shares a latitude. And it had hotter weather later into the fall last year than Jerusalem, which is substantially farther south. In general, Sacramento has warmer falls than most of the Mediterranean.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:38 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Any dissuasion about Sacramento weather, today, in the past, and the short term future meeets the premise of this thread, and how we compare with other places is useful as well.

Today is likely the last day Sacramento will see any temps above 92F for this Summer.

Today, Sept 7, 2018

10:30 in the morning 74F
Forecast:
Noon 83F
2pm 89F
High 93F
8pm 82F
10pm 72F
Morning Low 58F
I’m flabbergasted right now. A weather report with more than the 6:30am and/or 10:00pm temperature. Where were these all summer when it was scorching?

This thread has more than run its course. It would be nice to open City-Data and see something different midscreen than “Do we underestimate and downplay how great...” by Chimérique

Old 09-09-2018, 05:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Don't jinx it, chim!
I've seen 100 degree temps in early October in Fresno. The weather is great right now, but it's too early to predict for fall weather.

Was wondering why my AC air felt so nice and crisp today, so I checked the humidity map

45f dew Fresno
49f dew Sacramento
57f Phoenix(plus 100 degree heat)
67f San Diego

Poor PHX. It's been more humid and hotter than the central valley for most of summer. Makes me wonder how much longer they'll be able to use their "but it's a dry heat" slogan for.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Don't jinx it, chim!
I've seen 100 degree temps in early October in Fresno. The weather is great right now, but it's too early to predict for fall weather.

Was wondering why my AC air felt so nice and crisp today, so I checked the humidity map

45f dew Fresno
49f dew Sacramento
57f Phoenix(plus 100 degree heat)
67f San Diego

Poor PHX. It's been more humid and hotter than the central valley for most of summer. Makes me wonder how much longer they'll be able to use their "but it's a dry heat" slogan for.

I will say we had dew points in the 70's almost every day this summer in the northeast.

Now the last few days we've had Seattle weather.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:25 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Sac is too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:29 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post

Sac is too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
By those standards then over 75% of the nation is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

Besides Sac weather is near identical to Bay Area weather in the winter, spring, and fall, and near identical to 1/3 of Bay Area in the summer.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:33 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
By those standards then over 75% of the nation is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

Besides Sac weather is near identical to Bay Area weather in the winter, spring, and fall, and near identical to 1/3 of Bay Area in the summer.

San Francisco remains #1 in the weather dept. It is pretty much neutral all year round. Lots of fog usually in August.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Right!? Certainly winters in Sacramento are much more mild than in most of the country, with a few exceptions. It's basically a straightforward Mediterranean climate.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
San Francisco remains #1 in the weather dept. It is pretty much neutral all year round. Lots of fog usually in August.
SF has awful summer weather. Who the hell wants to be cold and wear a sweater in the middle of summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento