Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM

65 posts, read 137,256 times

Advertisements

Specifically working as an RN. Of all the CA state prisons, Folsom always seems to have the most openings. Wondering if that's due more to outside factors, or if it's just a terrible place to work so new nurses never stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
let's think about this logically, the only people who are still in prison in California in 2013 are people who are seriously violent offenders.

we're talking people who will have no problem cussing at you , spitting at, you sexually harassing you and attacking you.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
No, but my friend retired last year. He was the assistant warden. He is much nicer and happy now.

The prison system is HIGH, HIGH stress with a lot of turn over. There are much better RN positions to be had in Sacramento/ NorCal. I get daily emails (via Linkenid) from recruiters for RN positions. I'm spoiled at my job and don't have a desire to leave.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
we're talking people who will have no problem cussing at you , spitting at, you sexually harassing you and attacking you.
Newsflash: that's just about any jail/prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The prison system is HIGH, HIGH stress with a lot of turn over.
In fact, the CA economy has been so bad, unemployment so high, that Folsom is one of few state prisons hiring nurses, which is why I asked this in the first place.

I was hoping to hear from someone who actually "knows" something about working as an RN at Folsom, instead of speculation and anecdotes. Anybody else?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin98103 View Post
I was hoping to hear from someone who actually "knows" something about working as an RN at Folsom, instead of speculation and anecdotes. Anybody else?
Yeah! Not an RN and not at Folsom but basically if you're worked one prison you've worked them all. If you've worked SHU and gang tiers as I did you've worked the worst of them. I've been a Correctional Officer, Sergeant, Correctional Counselor and Parole Agent. In other words, I've worked the system inside as well as out on the streets where I was also part of a multi-agency, narcotics task force. I also had periodic assignments as hospital officer and hospital sergeant. Following that I got involved in the mental health arena with the prisons and their staff. Is that enough relevant experience for you?

Prison is prison. It's loud, dirty, smelly, dangerous, and that's just the inmates. What others had to say is spot-on. Also expect a whole bunch of mandatory overtime. You'll deal with a lot of doctors whose names you won't be able to pronounce and whose accents you won't be able to understand. You may work any of three watches and weekends off will be very rare, as will holidays until you build up seniority. You'll also have to deal with staff who may be less than supportive and pleasant. Don't be surprised to find medical equipment and supplies lacking and a whole lot of pressure due to federal oversight. What more do you want to know?

Oh, yeah. If an anecdotal information isn't of any value to you, tough! It's better than nothing. By the way, attitude isn't of any value either.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-07-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah! Not an RN and not at Folsom but basically if you're worked one prison you've worked them all. If you've worked SHU and gang tiers as I did you've worked the worst of them. I've been a Correctional Officer, Sergeant, Correctional Counselor and Parole Agent. In other words, I've worked the system inside as well as out on the streets where I was also part of a multi-agency, narcotics task force. I also had periodic assignments as hospital officer and hospital sergeant. Following that I got involved in the mental health arena with the prisons and their staff. Is that enough relevant experience for you?
No, you're not an RN like me! Love ya anyways!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
No, you're not an RN like me! Love ya anyways!!!!
::::sigh:::: Sometimes ya just can't win. Does being married to a midwife count?

Prison and sate hospital nurses have a really tough job. I don't envy them.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
::::sigh:::: Sometimes ya just can't win. Does being married to a midwife count?
Yes!! it counts!!!! I thought you had an excellent post. But I guess neither of us count in the mind of the OP since we are not RN's who actually work at Folsom Prison now.......

Old 08-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Specifically working as an RN. Of all the CA state prisons, Folsom always seems to have the most openings. Wondering if that's due more to outside factors, or if it's just a terrible place to work so new nurses never stay.
My question was simple and specific. I didn't ask about prisons in general, narcotics task forces, or anyone's resume or mini biography. Now when anyone else searches for this same question in the future, they'll find this hijacked thread full of irrelevant anecdotes and snarky chit chat.

So for anyone interested in the original question, the conclusion here is apparently "outside factors."

Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
My question was simple and specific. I didn't ask about prisons in general, narcotics task forces, or anyone's resume or mini biography. Now when anyone else searches for this same question in the future, they'll find this hijacked thread full of irrelevant anecdotes and snarky chit chat.

So for anyone interested in the original question, the conclusion here is apparently "outside factors."
I think we understood the question and we tried to be as helpful as we could since no Folsom nurse chimed-in. Our mistakes. So just keep wondering. The lack of any appreciation for anyone's attempts to be helpful says it all about you. You are now free to continue your whine-fest. G'Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento