Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,062 times

Advertisements

What are each of these universities like? I live in Southern California and am looking at transferring from a community college. These are the only two in Northern California that I will be applying to. Which is better? Also, I heard that CSU East Bay is in the ghetto and it would be dangerous to go to school there. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM

80 posts, read 215,876 times
CSUEB is located on the hills, nice view to see San Francisco Bay, above average residential homes surrounding the campus on the hills, it is safe there.

Just a short drive down to Mission Blvd, there is a neighborhood called Jackson Triangle; it is Hayward’s Promise Neighborhood, many apartments in the area. What is promise neighborhood, please Google it yourself. The area closes to South Hayward BART station is considered not so safe area.

CSUEB is an average state university, not much thing to appreciate or blame it but the campus is close to jobs. You have better position to find jobs in Silicon Valley compared to CSU Sacramento.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
CSU East Bay itself is up in the Hayward hills. Not ghetto. The housing for it below, however, can be touch and go.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker_CA View Post
CSUEB is located on the hills, nice view to see San Francisco Bay, above average residential homes surrounding the campus on the hills, it is safe there.

Just a short drive down to Mission Blvd, there is a neighborhood called Jackson Triangle; it is Hayward’s Promise Neighborhood, many apartments in the area. What is promise neighborhood, please Google it yourself. The area closes to South Hayward BART station is considered not so safe area.

CSUEB is an average state university, not much thing to appreciate or blame it but the campus is close to jobs. You have better position to find jobs in Silicon Valley compared to CSU Sacramento.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
CSU East Bay itself is up in the Hayward hills. Not ghetto. The housing for it below, however, can be touch and go.
Great! Thanks for the info.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 PM

80 posts, read 206,734 times
Both tend to be commuter colleges. With a fairly large percentage commuting from somewhere else in their respective regions. If that is something you aren't interested in, it might be worthwhile to add a school like Chico State or Cal Poly as additional places to apply.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marland View Post
Both tend to be commuter colleges. With a fairly large percentage commuting from somewhere else in their respective regions. If that is something you aren't interested in, it might be worthwhile to add a school like Chico State or Cal Poly as additional places to apply.
That's fine. I won't be living on campus. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
What are you looking to study? If you're looking to touch government in any way or fashion (e.g. not only govt/law, but non-profit, etc), I would head to Sacramento.

Kind of hard to compare the two without more information from what you're looking for in a school.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Commuting to school would be easier in Sacramento, if you don't want to drive, or if you wanted to ride your bike.

The location of the Hayward campus is really inconvenient for public transportation or riding your bike, unless you're into extreme biking - very hilly, and if you take BART, then you have to catch a bus up the hill.

I've lived in the east Bay and in Sacramento, and for ease of living/commuting, I'd probably choose Sacramento, even though the view is nice from the Hayward campus.

Weather is better in Hayward. Traffic is probably worse.

Crime-wise, they're probably pretty equal. You can check crime stat websites online to compare the two.

I think it will come down to which area you like better - and if you need to use public transport or want to bike to school.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM

143 posts, read 395,427 times
Wouldn't cost of living be less in Sacramento? Campus is nice, alongside the American River, but it can get quite hot in the summer. I would go to Sac, based on outdoor activities and costs, but many others would prefer EB, for its proximity to San Francisco.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:07 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,305,056 times
Rents are going to be cheaper in Sac. If they are going to school here, they may not be living in Sacramento over the summer, so summer heat might not be that big of a deal. About the only advantage I can think of for CSUEB is that CSUEB is going to have a lot more alumni in the Bay Area. If you were hoping to work in the bay area after you graduate, that might be a reason to pick that college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento