Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equestrian13 View Post
Thanks for your help! What are the neighborhoods of SFH that you're referring to? Also, do you think I could find people at a singles group like Bayside even if I am not religious?

In general, is there a huge difference between Roseville, Folsom, or Fair Oaks in terms of which is the most family-centered versus more mixed singles/families? Are there any "walkable" neighborhoods of these towns within walking distance to a grocery store, library, and gym, but not near multi-lane roadways with huge parking lots? (I know that might be unlikely)

Finally, I am interested in the bike/walking trails throughout Folsom and wondering how popular/well-maintained/active they are? Can you go swimming in the lakes?

Thanks!
I was referring to houses (vs condos). Sorry for the confusion.

I know people who are actively involved in Bayside singles groups that are what I would call "nominal" Christians. They call themselves Christian, but there is no other indication that they are. They do not follow the standard beliefs of the faith. Bayside is huge, and they welcome everyone. So in answer to your question, yes. I absolutely think you could attend the singles functions, as long as you can handle being around others who may (or may not) have that belief system.

In my experience, most communities have a blend of people. I really don't subscribe to the belief that midtown is the best place for singles. I spent my 20's in a Central Valley town that had far less to do than anywhere in Sacramento, and it was fine (although most people complain there is nothing to do, regardless of where they live, IMO, it's an attitude not lack of opportunity). I had plenty to do, and that included a lot of things available in a midtown type of setting. If that is your thing, then you'd probably love midtown. But I thought you already said that really wasn't your scene.

As for walkable, I think every community has a degree of this, but probably not at the same level of concentration as midtown. I live in Folsom. I can walk to a shopping center with a grocery store, retail, restaurants, banks, coffee, & Folsom Lake College. I rarely take advantage of walking to the shopping center, as I spend a lot of time working & playing (gym) up in EDH. I like to walk in the neighborhoods and to the college, and feel safe doing so at all hours. I'm really close to the Palladio for entertainment, but that is across a large & busy street. It's an easy stop for me coming home from EDH, as it is between my house & the freeway. Folsom is small enough that you really don't have to drive that far to go anywhere. It takes me 10 minutes max to cross town.

The neighborhood "bike" trails in Folsom are awesome, popular and well maintained. You can take on any trail & go all the way to the American Parkway without ever getting on a street. The Folsom city website has an interactive map of all the trails; it's under Folsom Trails maps (i cant copy the limk from my iPad). If you do a search you will find it. I believe east Roseville has a network of trails also, although I've never actually been on them. And yes, you can swim in the lake & the rivers.

Do you currently live in Sacramento, or are you wanting to move here? It would probably be really helpful to to take a drive to different areas, on different days do the week and at different times. If you live really far away and are set on living here, you can also get a short term lease, and then explore the city until you find the neighborhood best for you. It does take a while to figure it out sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 PM

75 posts, read 132,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Do you currently live in Sacramento, or are you wanting to move here? It would probably be really helpful to to take a drive to different areas, on different days do the week and at different times. If you live really far away and are set on living here, you can also get a short term lease, and then explore the city until you find the neighborhood best for you. It does take a while to figure it out sometimes.
Thanks for all your help. I don't currently live in Sac, I am actually investigating many locations but am definitely keeping Roseville on my list...although I am becoming more afraid it may be too sprawled.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
There was a massive police manhunt last night for a fugitive who shot several law enforcement officers, and a good chunk of Roseville was closed off, with temporary displaced residents sent to a nearby community center. Maybe Roseville isn't as idyllic as advertised?

Sacto 9-1-1: Roseville standoff ends: Shooting suspect taken into custody

Old 10-27-2013, 11:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There was a massive police manhunt last night for a fugitive who shot several law enforcement officers, and a good chunk of Roseville was closed off, with temporary displaced residents sent to a nearby community center. Maybe Roseville isn't as idyllic as advertised?

Sacto 9-1-1: Roseville standoff ends: Shooting suspect taken into custody
I was under the impression that was in the older/oldest part of Roseville. So maybe it means there is higher crime rate in the older parts of cities.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

In my experience, most communities have a blend of people. I really don't subscribe to the belief that midtown is the best place for singles. I spent my 20's in a Central Valley town that had far less to do than anywhere in Sacramento, and it was fine (although most people complain there is nothing to do, regardless of where they live, IMO, it's an attitude not lack of opportunity). I had plenty to do, and that included a lot of things available in a midtown type of setting. If that is your thing, then you'd probably love midtown. But I thought you already said that really wasn't your scene.
I don't think anyone would disagree that singles can't find their niche, or be plenty happy with what they have. I agree that people tend to complain about things to do and think it stands to remember how much the average non-rich person can actually take in. For instance, I've lived in Sac proper for going on 3 years and there are a ton of restaurants within biking distance I still haven't been to, and a bunch of other places I love but haven't been in far too long. I'm a member of the Crocker Art Museum, but haven't even been this year. Been to one Kings game and one River Cats game, after being here for 3 seasons of each. One doesn't need 73 options for dinner to be happy.

All that said, I don't think it totally supports the notion that midtown is not the best place for singles. Totally apart from bars, it's still going to be the highest concentration of singles and cultural activities in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento