Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,213 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband was just offered a job at the Folsom Prison. We currently live in So. Cal and will be relocating for this position. We are married and in our twenties- coming from urban San Diego. We plan to rent a condo or home. Any recommendations on neighborhoods Folsom or vicinity to consider moving to? Safety, price, outdoor activities and restaurants/shopping are all considerations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Folsom itself is very pleasant, historical prison notwithstanding. You might enjoy the charms of The Old Town, and shopping is plentiful.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
American river canyon

Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
There aren't any bad areas in Folsom. There is a good mixture of older vs newer neighborhoods, and apartments & home rentals are scattered throughout town. One of the really cool things about Folsom is the bike/walking trails that go through most of the neighborhoods. You can even get to the American River Parkway without ever getting on the street.

On the American River Canyon side, across the river, there is a grocery store & a small strip mall with a Starbucks in the American river Canyon neighborhood. And other strip mall with some restaurants on Folsom Auburn Rd at Greenback. That side also puts you near shopping in Orangevale.

The majority of Folsom is on the other side of the river, closer to Hwy 50. We have a lot of shopping & restaurants now, that you almost don't even have to leave Folsom if you don't want to. Some people prefer to stay in the "Folsom bubble", though I'm not sure why.

The neighborhood that would be closest to the prison is Wiilow Creek & Briggs Ranch, older, large lots, very treed. Empire Ranch is close by and is the newest development. Other neighborhoods in the 10-30 year old range, I believe, are Broadstone, Natomas Station, Cobble Hills, Prairie Oaks, Steeplechase.

For more info, check Folsom Website - Homepage

I would need to know your budget & type of housing desired in order to make more specific recommendations.

Welcome! Folsom is awesome

Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM

534 posts, read 1,533,495 times
What everyone else said

Folsom has awesome bike trails and some neat indie stores in Old Town, and lots of new shopping centers. And of course, you are next to a lake!

And - I moved from SoCal 12 years ago (I was 30-something) and haven't looked back. Quality of Life here is SO MUCH BETTER!!! Our daughter was 6 years old when we moved here, and so upset with us initially. After the first year, even she was so thankful to move up here, so much more outdoor recreation. The only thing I miss is Zuma beach, but I go to Lake Tahoe and swim and that more than makes up for it.

Something to look for - I personally don't want to live in dam inundation areas. If I were to live in Folsom, I would choose something up high. Here's a California risk hazards mapper to help choose an area: Hazard Mitigation Web Portal - Home

Best wishes!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your positive feedback! Here is a little more information... We are looking to rent either an apt or home for under $1400 2 br. We have also recently heard recommendations regarding living in midtown sacramento/east sacramento near McKinley park...would this be a long commute for my husband to folsom? I am a speech therapist and looking for jobs as well.. I will likely narrow down my job search based on which neighborhood we decide on. Thanks again!

Last edited by ebslp; 11-11-2013 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Midtown and East Sac are great neighborhoods. As a young couple, you might find that's a good spot for you, because there's a lot going on, more people your age, etc. Folsom is very nice, as other have noted, but they're different places. Folsom is mostly new, and Midtown/downtown, for all the oldsters say it's lost its edge, is still a little rough around the edges. East Sac is lovely, but also more expensive and harder to find something small. If you were considering East Sac, you might as well throw in Curtis Park, Elmhurst, and Land Park, which gives you a little more flexibility on house/apt size and other options. That wouldn't lead to a bad commute for your husband--it's generally opposite traffic--but on the other hand, if you find you enjoy Folsom, there's no reason to have that extra commute.

Are you planning a visit? Besides vibing out neighborhoods, that would be really handy for securing a rental as well.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM

thank you! we plan to check things out over christmas (we will be up in woodland visiting family). Saw a great condo listed in fair oaks/greenhaven. looks like more square footage for a fair price. i will check out this neighborhood as well, as it looks like it neighbors folsom.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,408 times
Folsom is the best place in the US for families. Great schools & shopping centers, zero crime, and people are just awesome.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMir View Post
Folsom is the best place in the US for families. Great schools & shopping centers, zero crime, and people are just awesome.
Good to see the Folsom Chamber of Commerce dropped in for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento