Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Its a bit scary, but also very exciting! I will be scouting for 6 months before my family joins us! During this time, I want to live within walking distance of Sac State U. and check out the possibility of buying a house! Any words of of wisdom would be much appreciated!
Gibb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,784 times
My wife and I moved from Vancouver to Sacramento a few months ago. I would suggest the book "The Canadian in America" by Brian D. Wruk. This book was a great guide on making the transition.

Driver's License: You'll have to take a written test and a road test. Your Canadian license is basically worthless when it come to obtaining your CA license. I felt like I was 16 years old all over again!

Mortgage: Depending on what your immigration status is, you may have some roadblocks. We are here on TN visas so most lenders won't give you a mortgage until you have a more permanent immigration status. We did get one approval but it had a premium on the interest rate. We said thanks, but no thanks! We're not prepared to pay a premium on a mortgage in a rapidly falling housing market. Early in the new year we'll have our H1 visas so we'll see what the lenders say then.

Credit: As a Canadian you won't have any credit history in the US, so you'll have to find a Credit Card company that will recognize your Canadian credit history. Not a big deal, but a lot of places won't do this. Just shop around and you'll find one. We went with Bank of America.

Currency Exchange: Don't recommend using the banks. US or Canadian. Find an online currency exchange. They give about 2% better than the banks do. We used xe.com. Takes a few days to set up but it saved us several thousands of dollars.

Good luck

Dustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento