Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Thing is, Sacramento isnt an hour from anything special. You are spouting off just like you are, in your thread about down playing the weather. A 90 mile drive is at least 2 1/2 hours from Sac to SF considering traffic. That's five hours of driving which isnt much difference than a day trip from Fresno.
Everything is better in Sacramento than Fresno. I was being nice.

Within in 10 minutes to under an hour of downtown Sacramento:
1. Downtown/Midtown: A urban environment that is 100 times better than anywhere in Fresno.
2. Folsom Lake and Nimbus: A large lake for great water recreation.
3. Sacramento Delta: Awesome waterways for all kinds of fishing, houseboating, water recreation.
4. Foothills: 3 forks of the American River and great hiking trails.
5. Sacramento River - Great Cruiser, Speed Boat, Jet ski River, Big Boats/Ships from SF Bay

Downtown Sac to Downtown SF: 1hr 15 mins; I've done it a million times.
Sacramento to San Jose: 2 hours
Sacramento to Berkeley: 1hour
Sacramento to Napa Valley: 1 hour

My weather thread about Sacramento speaks volumes of facts about how much better than weather is than the Furnace Hole, Fog Pit, and Dirty Air of Fresno.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-19-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I can leave the house at 7am and be in SF/LA in at 11am. Usually me and the wife head to the beach first and relax for about 4 hours. 3pm we head to favorite sea food restaurant and wine and dine. After that, we shop, shop, shop. After shopping we get dessert and hit the road, usually around 8-9pm. The ride back is some of the best time together for me and my wife. Feels good to get back to my own bed after a fun day.
Me and my partner do the same, leave the house at 7am in Sacramento and be in SF at 8:15am.

Or head to Stinson Beach or Pacifica (Beach) be there at 9am.

As a day trip, it gives us more time in either locale than driving twice the amount of time it takes someone from Fresno to get to either SF or LA.

I find if its a day-trip, especially if you work the next day, the 4-5 extra hours saved makes a big difference.

More spouting, more facts.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Unless you're going during commute hours, it's more like a 90 minute trip from Sacramento to SF if you drive the speed limit. I prefer to take the Capitol Corridor, about 90 minutes on the train and 30 on the bus. If we leave at 7 AM we can be there by 9 AM, hang out all day, hop the train back at 8-9 PM and be home before midnight. Because we're on the train, we can eat breakfast on the way, and not have the stress of a multi-hour drive.

Of course, if what we want to do is visit our favorite restaurant and shop, we can just walk there instead of having to visit another city.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Unless you're going during commute hours, it's more like a 90 minute trip from Sacramento to SF if you drive the speed limit. I prefer to take the Capitol Corridor, about 90 minutes on the train and 30 on the bus. If we leave at 7 AM we can be there by 9 AM, hang out all day, hop the train back at 8-9 PM and be home before midnight. Because we're on the train, we can eat breakfast on the way, and not have the stress of a multi-hour drive.

Of course, if what we want to do is visit our favorite restaurant and shop, we can just walk there instead of having to visit another city.
Burg, More spouting about Sacramento (just kidding).

I agree, we will doing the same next week, Capitol Corridor Train, but we take the Sacramento Train to Richmond and then take BART. We like that cuz more station options in SF on BART than Amtrak bus.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-19-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
I like the dramatic view of San Francisco coming over the Bay Bridge--especially on a bus, with a higher perspective, and someone else doing the driving. Easy enough to take transit wherever I'm going in SF once I arrive.

For the Los Angeles trip, there is the San Joaquin--which can also be used to visit Fresno, of course. It's a longer trip, but a lot cheaper than air fare. And LA's union station has connections to their light rail and bus system; kind of a sneak peek at the future of our own train station (Los Angeles is the only train station west of the Mississippi River busier than Sacramento.)

Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Fresno is an easy day trip to LA, 4 hours max. SF 3 hours max.
Agreed! We used to do day trips all over as we were centrally located for southern, central AND northern cal.

Plus, 1-2 hours to mountains, including Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia National Forrest, Mineral King for starters
2 hours to the beach -SLO, Pismo, Moro Bay, Cayucus
If water is your thing, Fresno has Millerton Lake, Bass Lake, Pine Flat, Shaver Lake, Hunington Lake, the Kings River, etc etc

Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karol Lee View Post
..aGreed, yet i love Fresno because i grew up here.... but yes, more parks please !!!..... While living up in Sacramento for 5years i moved back to Fresno... because theres just no place like home.
I've actually heard that from quite a few people. A lot of people love their home towns including Fresno. I I always liked Woodward Park or just hanging around up at Millerton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Oh im sorry so you can't ski packed powder - Thats' what it is really called. I don't have funds to fly or drive to Colorado to pay overpriced and overhyped Ski areas.

Seriously, any real skier would not pass up Tahoe because it's not "fluffy" enough - I still think it's NONSENSE that when you live 1-2 hours from Tahoe and don't ski it because it's not fluffy enough IS NONSENSE.

I'm not saying Fresno sucks ALL of the time, just MOST of the time.
Of course, I can.

I chose to do the majority of weekly skiing at our local ski resort. Also served on the ski patrol there.

Didn't say I passed up Tahoe for that reason, or that I dont ski Tahoe. Now you are just making stuff up. I wonder why....

One fantastic thing Fresno has is that there are far fewer pretentious people there than Sacramento. The people are definitely more down to earth, and friendly.

The one thing that I will give Sacramento over Fresno is weather/air quality.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

Didn't say I passed up Tahoe for that reason, or that I dont ski Tahoe. Now you are just making stuff up. I wonder why....

The one thing that I will give Sacramento over Fresno is weather/air quality.
This is what you said, "Why drive to Tahoe for sierra cement when I can fly to Utah or Colorado?"

So, you just implied that you don't or wouldn't ski Tahoe with your comment about the quality of snow and how your prefer Utah or Colorado. I didn't make anything up.

People can be pretentious no matter where they live. People in Sacramento are plenty friendly for my tastes, I won't be pretentious enough to say they are more friendly than people in Fresno.

Could be all the people from Fresno who moved up here.......are making us less friendly, hmm I don't know. :-)

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-20-2014 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 AM

306 posts, read 603,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Everything is better in Sacramento than Fresno. I was being nice.

Within in 10 minutes to under an hour of downtown Sacramento:
1. Downtown/Midtown: A urban environment that is 100 times better than anywhere in Fresno.
2. Folsom Lake and Nimbus: A large lake for great water recreation.
3. Sacramento Delta: Awesome waterways for all kinds of fishing, houseboating, water recreation.
4. Foothills: 3 forks of the American River and great hiking trails.
5. Sacramento River - Great Cruiser, Speed Boat, Jet ski River, Big Boats/Ships from SF Bay

Downtown Sac to Downtown SF: 1hr 15 mins; I've done it a million times.
Sacramento to San Jose: 2 hours
Sacramento to Berkeley: 1hour
Sacramento to Napa Valley: 1 hour

My weather thread about Sacramento speaks volumes of facts about how much better than weather is than the Furnace Hole, Fog Pit, and Dirty Air of Fresno.
When you say everything in Sacramento is better than Fresno, what you meant to say was everything that isn't Sacramento is better than Fresno. You like to talk about alot of other places other than Sac, and then credit Sac for being close.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM

306 posts, read 603,714 times
[quote=Chimérique;35725081]Me and my partner do the same, leave the house at 7am in Sacramento and be in SF at 8:15am.

If this were true, Sacramento would immediately become part of the bay area MSA due to commuting. I highly doubt what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento