Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think Chemerique was trying to point out the importance of marine cooling in the evening. It is a huge deal. When I lived in Corvallis, OR, which is about an hour from the coast, the days could be warm, but the coastal breezes tended to arrive in early evening, and would drop temps from the 80s or 90s into the 60s by dinner time. It could get down right cool, even cold. When I moved to Medford, OR, we would hit the 90s or 100s, or about 10 degrees hotter, but evenings would often be 20 degrees warmer, because Medford rarely gets the coastal breeze.

In the Central Valley, the coastal influence is really only pronounced in the delta. Areas south of about Modesto or north of about Willows tend to get super hot, and they don't get that air conditioning effect. So, although Sacramento can get scorching hot temps like the rest of the valley, the evening cooling effect makes it a somewhat different climate. And this marine effect overwhelms the effect of latitude. Redding and Red Bluff are the hottest spots in the CV because they are both far from the delta, and they have the massive Klamath Mountains blocking any marine influence in summer. I have seen it 118 in Redding, which even leaves Fresno in the dust.

Redding:98.3/64.7
Sacramento: 93.2/58.1
Fresno: 98.6/65.1

You can see that the night temps are comparatively cooler than the day temps, which reflects the enhanced cooling from the afternoon sea breeze.
This is soooooo true. Redding is stupidly hot due to the geography of it's location. Sac is never that hot. I had a granparent who used to live in Modesto and when I would go there to visit in summer, it was almost always around 101 or 102 while Sac was around 10 degrees cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Your poiny?
Do I really need to explain the point of these stats?

Fresno has by far more uncomfortably hot days. You also asked me to posts temps of hotter times of the day. The data below summarizes how much more often very hot days affect Fresno and a few others cities compared to Sacramento.

How about these Facts:

June, July, August 2013, Number of Days of 100's degrees or more:

Phoenix: 82 days

Austin: 53 days - Heat index days - 66 days

Las Vegas: 52 days

Dallas: 50 days - Heat index days - ?

Fresno: 39 days

Sacramento: 12 days - Heat index days - Only 6 days

Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Fresno has by far more uncomfortably hot days. You also asked me to posts temps of hotter times of the day. The data below summarizes how much more often very hot days affect Fresno and a few others cities compared to Sacramento.

How about these Facts:

The most interesting fact here to me (if it is indeed accurate), is that Austin is hotter than Las Vegas!!!! I had not idea.

The Sac. vs. Fresno comparison is well known. I grew up near Fresno, and I can vouch for how hot it is all summer. Definitely hot and usually bone dry. I enjoy looking at satellite photos at the NWS websites. Quite a few times, I have seen a blob of coastal stratus over the delta and foothills east of it in the early mornings. This stratus tends to burn off by mid morning, but when it occurs, it can drop temps 10 degrees. It take a lot of energy to vaporize coastal moisture. Also, there are coastal trees (madrone, tanoak) there that do not occur elsewhere in the interior. Very real phenomenon.

I don't agree that the valley gets no coastal influence at all. I think most of the San Joaquin Valley benefits from some very minor coastal cooling, otherwise it would be more like the interior deserts, and Redding would not be notably hotter than the rest of the valley during midsummer. Some of this may also be the effect of irrigation. The SJ Valley is frequently over 100, but rarely breaks 110.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:58 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
The SJ Valley is frequently over 100, but rarely breaks 110.
I grew up in Fresno/Tulare counties as well. There is always a heat wave for 1-3 weeks or longer with temps > 110.

Yesterday it was 100 in Folsom, and at midnight it was 80....so while it does get cooler, temps do not drop as low as Sacramento at night. Areas like Lincoln in Placer Country track temps very consistently with Visalia.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The most interesting fact here to me (if it is indeed accurate), is that Austin is hotter than Las Vegas!!!! I had not idea.
I've been tracking Austin for awhile and looking at their historical data because they are the Capitol city of a big state like Sacramento and have many similarities.

I have an in-law who is from Sacramento and but lives in Austin now. No comparison, Austin is way more uncomfortable, hot and sticky for several reasons.

On average throughout the Summer months.

1. Austin doesn't cool like Sacramento's evenings, nights and mornings.
2. Austin's Dew points on average are 10-15 degrees hotter throughout the summer.
3. Austin's relative humidity is double or more than Sacramento. -- during the hottest time of the day.
4. Texans know Austin is hot but so is everywhere else in Texas, no escaping the heat. Sacramentans and Californians have a huge number of micro-climates, very cool and comfortable areas within close range so I think we complain more when it is hot, and we freak out with just a tad of slight mugginess.

Quote:
The Sac. vs. Fresno comparison is well known. I grew up near Fresno, and I can vouch for how hot it is all summer. Definitely hot and usually bone dry. I enjoy looking at satellite photos at the NWS websites. Quite a few times, I have seen a blob of coastal stratus over the delta and foothills east of it in the early mornings. This stratus tends to burn off by mid morning, but when it occurs, it can drop temps 10 degrees. It take a lot of energy to vaporize coastal moisture. Also, there are coastal trees (madrone, tanoak) there that do not occur elsewhere in the interior. Very real phenomenon.
Some posters refuse to accept that Fresno is significantly hotter than Sacramento.
If one tracked mostly A.M. hours (morning and night), dew points, and the duration of wind movement it would be easier to see how much cooler Sacramento is. If Sacramento didn't have this type of cooling I wouldn't be pointing out these comparisons with hotter and cooler places even though Sacramento's high tmeps are cooler.

Quote:
I don't agree that the valley gets no coastal influence at all. I think most of the San Joaquin Valley benefits from some very minor coastal cooling, otherwise it would be more like the interior deserts, and Redding would not be notably hotter than the rest of the valley during midsummer. Some of this may also be the effect of irrigation. The SJ Valley is frequently over 100, but rarely breaks 110.
I know the San Joaquin Valley gets some coastal influence especially Stockton. And even beyond Modesto, but if people ignore or dismiss the significant cooling Sacramento gets, you certainly couldn't make a case for points south of Modesto.

On those really strong Delta Breeze days it would interesting to see how far south and north the Onshore affect is, and how much it cools other parts of the Valley. Yes, the San Joaquin Valley is cooler than the desert southwest.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 AM

306 posts, read 603,378 times
Quote:
I've been tracking Austin for awhile and looking at their historical data because they are the Capitol city of a big state like Sacramento and have many similarities.

I have an in-law who is from Sacramento and but lives in Austin now. No comparison, Austin is way more uncomfortable, hot and sticky for several reasons.

On average throughout the Summer months.

1. Austin doesn't cool like Sacramento's evenings, nights and mornings.
2. Austin's Dew points on average are 10-15 degrees hotter throughout the summer.
3. Austin's relative humidity is double or more than Sacramento. -- during the hottest time of the day.
4. Texans know Austin is hot but so is everywhere else in Texas, no escaping the heat. Sacramentans and Californians have a huge number of micro-climates, very cool and comfortable areas within close range so I think we complain more when it is hot, and we freak out with just a tad of slight mugginess.

Some posters refuse to accept that Fresno is significantly hotter than Sacramento.
If one tracked mostly A.M. hours (morning and night), dew points, and the duration of wind movement it would be easier to see how much cooler Sacramento is. If Sacramento didn't have this type of cooling I wouldn't be pointing out these comparisons with hotter and cooler places even though Sacramento's high tmeps are cooler.

I know the San Joaquin Valley gets some coastal influence especially Stockton. And even beyond Modesto, but if people ignore or dismiss the significant cooling Sacramento gets, you certainly couldn't make a case for points south of Modesto.

On those really strong Delta Breeze days it would interesting to see how far south and north the Onshore affect is, and how much it cools other parts of the Valley. Yes, the San Joaquin Valley is cooler than the desert southwest.
Quote:

How about these Facts:

Still no high temperature in degrees? What are you hiding that for?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Still no high temperature in degrees? What are you hiding that for?
No hiding, you complain about me posting temps of other cities, now you want me to post the temps for all the below cities for everyday for 3 months

I looked up the data and summarized it.

Quite simple, these are the amount of days said city was 100 degrees or more over the course of the summer 2013.

The stats are what they are.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM

306 posts, read 603,378 times
Quote:
No hiding, you complain about me posting temps of other cities, now you want me to post the temps for all the below cities for everyday for 3 months

Quite simple, these are the amount of days said city was 100 degrees or more over the course of the summer 2013.

Degrees please.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:10 PM

168 posts, read 240,702 times
Quote:

I'm calling that BS haha.

Pocket, Sacramento

100, 107, 111, 103, 106, 111, 108, 107, 104, 106, 112, 104, 100, 100, 100, 106, 100 (17 days)

Coolest high in June, July, August...
June 24 - 71F
July 16 - 80F
Aug 7 - 81F

Fresno

103,101,108,101,105,108,109,108,108,108,108,103,10 2,104,106,109,103,101,100,102,103,100,100,102,106, 106 (26 days)

Coolest highs June, July, August
Jun 24 - 82F
Jul 17 - 95F
Aug 26 - 9FF

Last edited by enigma99a; 08-01-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 03:16 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
I'm calling that BS haha.

Pocket, Sacramento

100, 107, 111, 103, 106, 111, 108, 107, 104, 106, 112, 104, 100, 100, 100, 106, 100 (17 days)

Coolest high in June, July, August...
June 24 - 71F
July 16 - 80F
Aug 7 - 81F
Do you know the difference between weather vs climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento