Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 14,484 times

Advertisements

I notice how profound the homeless problem is here, and how difficult it has been for me to find an apt anywhere in Sac after 3 months of looking.

The homelessness is a reflection of the culture and the attitudes and what is considered "ok" by the people here in CA.

To me, it's nothing short of savage cruelty.

I have lived in MA, CT, NM, NY, PA. In the smaller cities and towns in America, you wont find the mass scale homelessness CA has.

I'm sure you'll say, "Why dont you go back then?"
Well, if asking for a decent small apt without poop on the towels is too much for CA, well, maybe I will, but what about the people who dont have anywhere to move back to?

The shame is on you CA. (If you have the capacity to feel shame, compassion,etc, which it seems, you dont).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 6,009 times
Why don't you give them all your money? That'll help out.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
I read an article--I'd have to find it again to quote it--that said that nearly 1/3 of all the homeless people in the entire country lived in California. Good weather, able to be outside year round, generally left alone by the police--hard to say why they come here.

Being given one-way bus tickets by other states probably didn't help, either. Or the fact that many of them have mental issues and decline treatment/medication.

If you want to "be a Californian" recognize that it means regular donations to your local food closets and supporting your local homeless programs. Cause that's what we do here. The main one for Sacramento is called Sacramento Steps Forward and they do wonderful work, but can only help those that actually want to be helped.

Edit: I'm finding some articles say 33%, some say 20% of the nation's homeless live in California. Here's an interesting article from the Los Angeles Times:
http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...120-story.html

Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
You've lived in MA, PA, NY and you think Sacramento has a worse homeless problem? NY is highest in the nation. LA is second, but Sacramento doesn't even break the top 25. Boston is very high on a per capita basis.

Homelessness is shameful. Anywhere. But not sure why you'd single California out compared to some of the other places you say you lived.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I read an article--I'd have to find it again to quote it--that said that nearly 1/3 of all the homeless people in the entire country lived in California. Good weather, able to be outside year round, generally left alone by the police--hard to say why they come here.

Being given one-way bus tickets by other states probably didn't help, either.
Or the fact that many of them have mental issues and decline treatment/medication.

If you want to "be a Californian" recognize that it means regular donations to your local food closets and supporting your local homeless programs. Cause that's what we do here. The main one for Sacramento is called Sacramento Steps Forward and they do wonderful work, but can only help those that actually want to be helped.

Edit: I'm finding some articles say 33%, some say 20% of the nation's homeless live in California. Here's an interesting article from the Los Angeles Times:
L.A. tops nation in chronic homeless population - LA Times
Varying some from time to time and place to place, 75% - 85% of homeless are from the local area / state they are found in. It is a myth that lots of homeless migrate to warm climates and places with good assistance programs. Most homeless prefer to stay where they have history, family, contacts. There are several studies proving this. You can look them up. Not hard to find.

The bus tickets story is another mostly myth. The number of homeless who are sent to anywhere from anywhere is statistically an insignificant number. Furthermore, the only "bus / airline tickets"programs are run to return people to their home states, and tickets only authorized where family or friends or organizations have agreed to house the recipients when they arrive. So, other than a brief, small scandal involving Nevada mental health hospital sending a small number of patients to California, any homeless arriving in California via paid fares from elsewhere, are - Californians coming home.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebabee View Post
I notice how profound the homeless problem is here, and how difficult it has been for me to find an apt anywhere in Sac after 3 months of looking. The homelessness is a reflection of the culture and the attitudes and what is considered "ok" by the people here in CA. To me, it's nothing short of savage cruelty. I have lived in MA, CT, NM, NY, PA. In the smaller cities and towns in America, you wont find the mass scale homelessness CA has. I'm sure you'll say, "Why dont you go back then?"
Well, if asking for a decent small apt without poop on the towels is too much for CA, well, maybe I will, but what about the people who dont have anywhere to move back to? The shame is on you CA. (If you have the capacity to feel shame, compassion,etc, which it seems, you dont).
No, I am not ashamed because you had a roommate who was crazy, and I am not ashamed because you moved to Sacramento without first checking into the availability of affordable rentals. In your other posts you have inferred that all of this has happened to you because people in Sacramento are mean. I suggest that you spend some time reflecting on what you might have done differently that would have spared you this angst.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:27 PM

572 posts, read 599,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebabee View Post
I notice how profound the homeless problem is here, and how difficult it has been for me to find an apt anywhere in Sac after 3 months of looking.

The homelessness is a reflection of the culture and the attitudes and what is considered "ok" by the people here in CA.

To me, it's nothing short of savage cruelty.

I have lived in MA, CT, NM, NY, PA. In the smaller cities and towns in America, you wont find the mass scale homelessness CA has.

I'm sure you'll say, "Why dont you go back then?"
Well, if asking for a decent small apt without poop on the towels is too much for CA, well, maybe I will, but what about the people who dont have anywhere to move back to?

The shame is on you CA. (If you have the capacity to feel shame, compassion,etc, which it seems, you dont).
We do have a homeless problem in CA. We are constantly trying to figure out a way to better address the problem.

What do you propose we do?

I'm interested to know the "smaller cities and towns in America" you have lived where you didn't find homeless problems? All the states you have lived in -- they have some of these same problems with homelessness, but maybe you were sheltered from them there.

Sorry you are having a rough time finding a place to live, but it's well documented that CA has an extremely high cost of living compared to the rest of the U.S. It's very competitive in this state and likely only to become more so as populations continue growing.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 PM

61 posts, read 106,419 times
Another thing to note is that many places with low homeless populations have become that way by effectively criminalizing homelessness. Many cities all over the US bus their homeless out or use other similar means to make their homeless disappear. So if you want to talk about no compassion you are looking at it backwards.

Homelessness is an incredibly complex issue but Californian's comparatively pay a very large amount in taxes that go to supporting programs that assist the homeless and low income population.

My guess is that your assumption is that homelessness is caused by a lack of affordable housing but the issue of why certain people are homeless is way more complex and multifaceted than that.

Last edited by b.hughes; 04-29-2016 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento