Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

Every city in the nation has restaurants too, it's the variation that makes the difference. If projectmaximus is interested in railroads (or their kid likes trains) then the Railroad Museum, which seems pretty standard to those of us who have lived here a long time, is one of the best in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 01:08 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Is there any reason for us to take the light rail anywhere? Any places that would be worth checking out? Thanks again!

Old 09-05-2016, 12:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Every city in the nation has restaurants too, it's the variation that makes the difference. If projectmaximus is interested in railroads (or their kid likes trains) then the Railroad Museum, which seems pretty standard to those of us who have lived here a long time, is one of the best in the country.
I agree that we have some cool historical stuff. I was just at Sutter's Fort yesterday and that was really cool. The mansion around the Crocker building was really interesting too when I toured it, as is the Capital and of course Old Sac. I like all of that. I was just saying, if you want to get a feel for a city which you may live in, probably the last place I would go would be a museum or that sort of thing. You want to get a feel for the local culture, the flavor of an area. It's pretty hard to do that without getting your hands in and around the local neighborhoods to just explore. That's especially true for a place like Sac where most of what we have does not jump out at you.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
I had a good breakfast at Perko's downtown with a friend I visited in Sacramento about a year ago. Believe that would put you reasonably close to the Oldtown area and the train museum too. You may want to consider walking across the High Bridge across the Sacramento River which technically puts you in West Sacramento. (The Rivercats baseball team plays in Raley Field nearby, but their season will be done when you visit Would have recommended otherwise).That will take you to a riverfront trail near a pyramid shaped building. You can take some good pictures of downtown Sacramento and the river from there.

In Oldtown, you might want to go aboard the Delta King riverboat after visiting the train museum. The last couple times there, I enjoyed a drink with a friend there. Good place to relax and enjoy the river.

Last edited by chessgeek; 09-05-2016 at 04:42 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
High Bridge across the Sacramento River which technically puts you in West Sacramento.
Is that the Tower Bridge?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Is that the Tower Bridge?
Just looked it up. Yes it is. (Could have sworn it used to be called the High Bridge, but I could be wrong).

Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I agree that we have some cool historical stuff. I was just at Sutter's Fort yesterday and that was really cool. The mansion around the Crocker building was really interesting too when I toured it, as is the Capital and of course Old Sac. I like all of that. I was just saying, if you want to get a feel for a city which you may live in, probably the last place I would go would be a museum or that sort of thing. You want to get a feel for the local culture, the flavor of an area. It's pretty hard to do that without getting your hands in and around the local neighborhoods to just explore. That's especially true for a place like Sac where most of what we have does not jump out at you.
Which is why my post upthread recommended getting into the neighborhoods and I gave a lot of specific recommendations for that. But if the OP is actively interested in museums, I wouldn't discourage them from checking some out--including those covering subjects other than history. If the OP is interested in history or historic architecture, Sacramento has over 30 historic districts, and almost all of them are neighborhoods where people live (except for City College, the Railyards, and the City Cemetery, I think.) There are some other areas with interesting architecture that's definitely worthy of a historic district, like East Sacramento and Land Park, but they haven't been listed yet.

Last edited by wburg; 09-05-2016 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Just looked it up. Yes it is. (Could have sworn it used to be called the High Bridge, but I could be wrong).
Never heard of the Tower Bridge being called the High Bridge. It was originally called the M Street Bridge, after the earlier bridge it replaced, but never heard "High Bridge" before. I'm sure Perko's is just fine, but if the OP is looking for some local flavor, there are a whole lot of other choices nearby, and closer to their hotel.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Never heard of the Tower Bridge being called the High Bridge. It was originally called the M Street Bridge, after the earlier bridge it replaced, but never heard "High Bridge" before. I'm sure Perko's is just fine, but if the OP is looking for some local flavor, there are a whole lot of other choices nearby, and closer to their hotel.
I must have confused it with a bridge in another city then. Sure there are more than enough breakfast places. The Residence Inn itself may offer a decent breakfast too.

In Old Sacramento, a good place to eat lunch or dinner alongside the river is the Rio City Cafe. There also will be a few places there for ice cream and frozen yogurt. In September it is likely to still be very warm, at least during the day in Sacramento.

Last edited by chessgeek; 09-06-2016 at 04:51 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 PM

Just wanted to say that we enjoyed our brief visit. Residence Inn in Sacramento is quite nice. I'm not a hotel snob by any means and maybe that brand is generally of higher quality, but I'm guessing that the one in Sacramento is one of their nicer properties. Stayed at the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf for several days on this trip and it was at least one tier below imo.

We actually ultimately did not see all that much, but we had some really good food at Cellar Bistro in Old Sac and Yang's Noodles on Stockton. Walked around downtown and midtown quite a bit, including Southside Park area. Building stock in these areas is far more walkable than Jacksonville's (just as a comparison to my hometown) but the vibrancy seems about the same.

Came away with a very good impression of the area, but at the same time we had an epiphany that we really should consider our social network in any relocation possibilities. If we do move out to Cali, we will just suck up the higher cost to be close to our family and friends in SF or LA. No sense in going all the way out there and then still being hours away, especially since we have zero connections in the Sacramento area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento