Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times

Advertisements

According to the article, about 90% of the tickets (about $500 per ticket) were issued for right turn on red violations:

In the 2015-16 fiscal year, Elk Grove made $657,105 off red light cameras alone...

Rancho Cordova cleared $742,851 from red-light infractions during the 2015-16 fiscal year, compared to just $73,254 in 2012-13.

Another report provided by Redflex showed that tourists were the ones most likely to pay. From November 2013 to October 2015, the Redflex report indicated, 72 percent of Rancho Cordova’s red light citations went to visitors. In Elk Grove, 69 percent of the tickets went to visitors.

https://www.newsreview.com/sacrament...t?oid=23026317
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 04:10 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Thanks for the link. I applaud Senator Jerry Hill for trying to do the right thing. Looks like he didn't stand a chance against the spend and tax CA Government. How could he? Red-light camera taxes are the easiest ever to collect and, with public employee unions' insatiable thirst for more tax money, it is not surprising he failed.

A politician who fights against government greed! Who would have thought? Jerry Hill is a name I will remember the next time I am at the polls.

Last edited by davidt1; 12-15-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 02:39 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
Those right turn lights are the worst. I never got a red light ticket but ive seen the camera flashes before and it sucks. I have the Waze app to identify upcoming red light cameras so that helps.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:24 PM

Rancho Cordova even issues a ticket if you come to a complete stop, but your bumper has breached the "limit line" of the intersection:

...you can make a right hand turn on a red light, but you must first come to a complete stop. California Vehicle Code 21453 (b) allows driver’s to make a right hand turn on a red light, but only if it is safe and after coming to a complete stop. If you made a complete stop before the limit line and then completed a safe right hand turn you would not receive a citation.

Red Light Program

Even if not making a right turn on red, if you come to a complete stop but you are beyond the limit line in Rancho Cordova they will issue you a ticket:

All events captured by the camera system are reviewed by an officer and when it is the opinion of the officer that the driver failed to come to a complete stop behind the limit line a citation is issued by the officer.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:38 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Follow the rules of the road and you won't get a ticket. You could kill someone if you dont stop where you are supposed to. A pedestrian or someone on a bike.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:23 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Looks promising. After a few more years maybe more people will start catching on and not running red lights as frequently. It's really annoying when the light turns green and you start to take off and then have to slam on the brakes (and hope the guy behind you reacts quickly) to avoid some straggler trying to "beat" the light that turned red a full second or more before he even got to the intersection.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 PM

Running through red lights is an infrequent problem, it is right turn on red violations, especially when not first stopping behind the limit line.

California's fines are very excessive for these violations, and many jurisdictions have removed their camera:

Red light cameras are on their way out in California. To date, more than sixty towns in the Golden State have sent the private, for-profit companies that run the automated ticketing programs packing. On February 27, the cameras in Stockton will be coming down after the city quietly terminated the contract with Redflex Traffic Systems of Australia.

More than sixty California cities have decided cameras were not worth keeping

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/46/4642.asp

Old 01-28-2017, 10:42 PM

290 posts, read 544,321 times
The right turn charged as running a red light is wrong. What's worse are the tickets people get because their car bumper is slightly over the line when they stop. These are not the same thing as running a red light. They should not be ticketed as such. Some of these cameras are so bad, I avoid turning right at some of these intersections. It wouldn't be such a problem if these camera's just ticketed those who literally ran a red light, but they don't.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:21 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
The right turn charged as running a red light is wrong. What's worse are the tickets people get because their car bumper is slightly over the line when they stop. These are not the same thing as running a red light. They should not be ticketed as such. Some of these cameras are so bad, I avoid turning right at some of these intersections. It wouldn't be such a problem if these camera's just ticketed those who literally ran a red light, but they don't.

That's why I take the freeway by using country roads. I avoid taking city streets at all costs, even if it means my trip is longer. I much rather drive longer for convenience.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
It's the sleeziest way for any city to earn their evenue...using red light cameras to rip off tourists. Whoever says "follow the law and you won't get a ticket" is just another sleazy doosh who probably has no idea about what common sense is. Stopping in the crosswalk is NOT running a red light! Quit being as dumb as the camera is and don't accept this crap. Its wrong to send the registered owner the ticket just because they own the vehicle. Maybe the cops should get out and do their jobs and cite incidents as they happen. Dont ask the vehicle owner to identify the driver, thats your job if your a cop. If you havent got a 100% confirmation of who was driving. Then dont send the ticket. Such BS how lazy and pathetic things are becoming. Whats next, a camera to be installed at random bars to issue DUIs to the registered vehicle owners of suspected drunk drivers? Of course the main objective would be claimed to help with making the roads more safe, however we know why they were installed. To rip people off. Next time i see a camera im gonna give you something good to look at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento