Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 03:56 PM

165 posts, read 150,356 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a school counseling position in the Twin Rivers school district. I grew up in Santa Barbara, CA and since 1997, have lived in the L.A. area. I've only visited Sacramento once for a work conference, so I stayed only in the downtown Sac area. I know very little about Sacramento and Sac County. I haven't had the resources to do any traveling or exploration there yet.

After doing some online searching, I discovered the Twin Rivers school district is in Yuba City, in Sacramento County, and Marysville is located nearby. I'm not a big fan of commuting long distances to work, so if I was hired by Twin Rivers Unified, I'd most likely live in or near Yuba City, Marysville or anywhere else that's close.

So I'm seeking opinions on the area from people who know. Whatever you could tell me would be helpful - weather, traffic, cost of living, quality of living, what the neighborhoods are like, etc.

To give you a clearer picture of who I am: I'm single, no kids, a renter, and live a fairly quiet lifestyle. I currently live in a lower socio-economic neighborhood simply to have the amenities I want at the rent I can afford (Los Angeles is an expensive city), so I'm not unfamiliar with those neighborhoods. I'd prefer to live in a slightly less economically depressed neighborhood, but if I can't find that and live close to where I work, I'm willing to make some sacrifices. I'm also used to working in lower socio-economic neighborhoods and have done it in my nearly 17 years of employment with the second largest public school district in the country (LAUSD). All of which is to say, I'm not uncomfortable in those surroundings and can work in them, but would prefer to live in a neighborhood that's a little nicer than where I live now, if possible.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 05:14 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
I'm a bit confused. As far as I know, Twin Rivers School District is in Sacramento County. But Yuba City is in Sutter County, which is about 50 miles north. And Marysville is in Yuba County, although it is next to Yuba City, so still about 50 miles north. None of the school districts in the Sutter/Yuba counties areas are named Twin Rivers. However, there is a Twin Rivers Charter School in Yuba City. Is that where you'll be working? It's part of the Yuba City Unified School District.

Anyway, I'm no help with rental information. I've lived in the Yuba County foothills on a rural property, which I owned. However, if you can clarify your potential location, I think it will help those who can speak to the neighborhoods and it will help you in your online rental search, too.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. When I was doing my online research, I looked up Twin Rivers Unified School District and the interwebs pointed me to Yuba City. I also saw a link for Twin Rivers Charter School, but I know that there are often charter schools near to or just outside of public school districts, so it didn't seem that unusual to me. ...So I still haven't found where, exactly, Twin Rivers Unified School District is located, despite my online searches, and that's getting a little frustrating.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:07 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Here you go . . .

Twin Rivers Website

None of these schools are close to Yuba City or Marysville. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Here you go . . .

Twin Rivers Website

None of these schools are close to Yuba City or Marysville. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks. I've checked the Twin Rivers website and since most of the schools list Sacramento as their address, that wasn't helpful for me. I know Twin Rivers is in Sacramento, but I was trying to figure out which part. I think I have a better idea now, though after doing some more research yesterday. I've finally figured out the actual district offices cite North Highlands as their mailing address, and done some research about that area, as well as surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento