Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:36 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post

I can still work in other places like boutique retail and the like. I just want something that I can pay the bills with for now...

You can find those jobs in Sacramento.

Yes, the economy in the Bay is better than Sacramento, yes the Bay offers more opportunity. But 1) you are not actually thinking of going to the hub of the Bay, rather you are thinking of Lamorinda, a pretty dead place for jobs if you ask me. 2) For dead end jobs with low pay and in a place like Lamorinda, the two regions (Sacramento and Lamorinda) are pretty much on par. Lamorinda may even be worse off for you to land those jobs because you are competing with local high school and college kids.

If you REALLY want to come to the Bay and find a job, you need to go the job hubs. Otherwise, don't bother. Yes, I know you have this weird idea that those places only hire non-whites and nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

Last edited by beb0p; 04-19-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:40 PM

258 posts, read 291,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You can find those jobs in Sacramento.

Yes, the economy in the Bay is better than Sacramento, yes the Bay offers more opportunity. But 1) you are not actually thinking of going to the hub of the Bay, rather you are thinking of Lamorinda, a pretty dead place for jobs if you ask me. 2) For dead end jobs with low pay and in a place like Lamorinda, the two regions (Sacramento and Lamorinda) are pretty much on par. Lamorinda may even be worse off for you to land those jobs because you are competing with local high school and college kids.

If you REALLY want to come to the Bay and find a job, you need to go the job hubs. Otherwise, don't bother. Yes, I know you have this weird idea that those places only hire non-whites and nothing I say will convince you otherwise.
Well the issue my friend and I have found is that in Sacramento the employers don't seem to really want to hire very many white people, and so we were thinking that Lamorinda would be more white friendly. Also, it's not as much dead-end jobs we're desiring as much as it is a way to get in.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Also I will be convinced that the Sacramento area is more friendly to whites once I start seeing more white guys employed like myself and my friend.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Well the issue my friend and I have found is that in Sacramento the employers don't seem to really want to hire very many white people, and so we were thinking that Lamorinda would be more white friendly. Also, it's not as much dead-end jobs we're desiring as much as it is a way to get in.

A way to get in where? Since you have this idea that the major job hubs all discriminate white people, where does Lamorinda leads to if not the job hubs??

You can try Walnut Creek, a very white town with many more jobs than Lamorinda; but they are close enough to Concord that I think you're going to make the same excuse as the one you make for Sacramento.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Also I will be convinced that the Sacramento area is more friendly to whites once I start seeing more white guys employed like myself and my friend.
As if there is no predominantly white area in Sacramento.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM

509 posts, read 485,143 times
I honestly think that it is the Asperger's and not your skin color getting in the way. Look how difficult it is for people to figure out where you're coming from on this forum; if you talk the way you write, you will put off people. I hope you don't go around mentioning how being white is costing you jobs when you go job hunting; that would be a very Aspie thing to do.

Frankly, I think Asperger's is over-diagnosed, or more accurately perhaps, over-self-diagnosed. When I was growing up, we called it "being awkward" and it was seen as something to overcome, or at least keep in check. Now people claim to have Asperger's without ever seeing a psychologist, and use it as a reason for the rest of the world to adjust to them.

Go out, get a job, stop living in your head. You mentioned applying at Swift for truck driving; that sounds like a good idea (and a job suitable for Aspies, if such things really exist)

Any able-bodied person can find a job in a week if they really want to. Maybe not their dream job, but at least something to pay the bills until something better comes along. Sacramento is no exception.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
I honestly think that it is the Asperger's and not your skin color getting in the way. Look how difficult it is for people to figure out where you're coming from on this forum; if you talk the way you write, you will put off people. I hope you don't go around mentioning how being white is costing you jobs when you go job hunting; that would be a very Aspie thing to do.

Frankly, I think Asperger's is over-diagnosed, or more accurately perhaps, over-self-diagnosed. When I was growing up, we called it "being awkward" and it was seen as something to overcome, or at least keep in check. Now people claim to have Asperger's without ever seeing a psychologist, and use it as a reason for the rest of the world to adjust to them.

Go out, get a job, stop living in your head. You mentioned applying at Swift for truck driving; that sounds like a good idea (and a job suitable for Aspies, if such things really exist)

Any able-bodied person can find a job in a week if they really want to. Maybe not their dream job, but at least something to pay the bills until something better comes along. Sacramento is no exception.
I don't, actually - I really only talk about it to my friend who is going through similar problems. I HAVE been going out frequently and looking for jobs - at any time I can. In fact, I am writing this very sentence minutes after coming back from not one, but THREE interviews. And as far as people failing to see where I'm coming from, my best guess is that they most likely are either looking at this through a 'white privilege' lens (my friend has been mentioning this for some time now) and thus think that white men are automatically at a better angle than everyone else in the job market despite minorities now holding the majority of the job market outside the top end range, or else they somehow think I'm so visibly autistic that everyone by the mere sight of me will somehow not only deny me a job but remodel their entire hiring process so that it can't 'collect' people like me (Personally, I'm seeing the latter happen quite a bit)

Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
A way to get in where? Since you have this idea that the major job hubs all discriminate white people, where does Lamorinda leads to if not the job hubs??

You can try Walnut Creek, a very white town with many more jobs than Lamorinda; but they are close enough to Concord that I think you're going to make the same excuse as the one you make for Sacramento.
I don't think all job hubs discriminate against whites, but I do think that if there are enough of one ethnicity or race living in the area, businesses will over-hire and over-recruit to that particular race to where other races will be left out. Also, I believe that the TREND of hiring for 'diversity' has gotten to the point where white men, and especially autistic white men like me and my friend, are almost screwed unless they know someone who can 'get them in', or else can file a lawsuit of discrimination.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I don't think all job hubs discriminate against whites, but I do think that if there are enough of one ethnicity or race living in the area, businesses will over-hire and over-recruit to that particular race to where other races will be left out. Also, I believe that the TREND of hiring for 'diversity' has gotten to the point where white men, and especially autistic white men like me and my friend, are almost screwed unless they know someone who can 'get them in', or else can file a lawsuit of discrimination.
that's just silly you and there is no basis in fact for your claim that employers discriminate against whites. Unemployment rates by race for the state in the last quarter of 2016 were as follows white: 4.4% black:8.9% hispanic: 6.4% asian 3.9%. Now in looking at that how can you draw a conclusion that in California white men can't get jobs? Perhaps your disability impacts your interviewing skills, if so you might talk to a counselor about that, or maybe you and your friend should play video games or something and quit obsessing over this issue.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
No, I'm not. People have said that. And they've also said the media needs better journalists as well.
Unfortunately media currently doesn't have a way of paying for journalists so it's kind of a moot point what someone thinks. There's not strong demand for journalists, especially wanna-be journalists with no track record. The pay sucks, the job market is small and getting smaller.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/media-and-co...s-analysts.htm

And then you get to the autism. It's kind of like me deciding I want to be a professional basketball player. I'm below average height. There's a few short basket ball players but being 5'9" on a good day if we're generous isn't going to do me any favors as far as being a professional basketball player. Likewise, a would-be journalist with autism and poor interpersonal skills... I'm sure there's a few out there, but it's not really playing to your strong suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento