Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 05:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I agree with you, Sacramento winters are mild compared to 3/4 of the nation.
This is true, compared to all except the Gulf Coast and Florida, a Sacramento winter is warmer than anywhere east of the Rockies; though yesterday we had a high of 57° and a low of 43° here, cold by our standards, but would be a typical winter day in Sacramento, and it felt cold to me most of the day. All depends on what you're used to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 09:38 AM

330 posts, read 431,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
What?? you think Sac winters are sunny, dry and mild? Were you just born or something? Winters in Sac are often damp, cloudy, some rain, and some stretches of nasty tule fog that may last for days on end. Some days are sunny and mild in Sac like you say, but head to LA if you want winters like that.

No, Sac's not cold by eastern standards, but winter mornings in Sac at 35 degrees with a damp atmosphere make wearing a warm coat a must IMO.

BTW, the chilly, wet winters there are the reason why fruit trees do so well there. They need that cold weather in order to flower and fruit in the spring.
I grew up in Scotland. Describing the winters here as wet are laughable. It has rained once in the last 30 days.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:51 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
I grew up in Scotland. Describing the winters here as wet are laughable. It has rained once in the last 30 days.
Rain is hit or miss in this semi-desert climate, and obviously it is nowhere near the dampness of the heaths and moors, but when it does rain from November to April, it can really pour at times.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
4:00 a.m. this morning, Dec 22, 2017

Western Cities and a few others

Denver 09F

Salt Lake City 14F
Reno 19F
Kansas City 22F
Tucson 23F
Fresno 27F
Spokane 27F
Las Vegas 28F
Portland 29F

Santa Rosa 30F
Sacramento 30F
San Jose 31F
Phoenix 34F
Riverside 37F
Seattle 39F

Los Angeles 42F
Dallas 43F

Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
I like that a Sacramento Winter is a bit colder than it's sister cities on the western coast.

It makes for a much more distinct winter look and feel.

Still quite comfortable, but with more fall leaves, crisp cold mornings, usually more rain, occasional fog, certainly takes away that endless monotonous weather of SoCal or Arizona.

A lot of Sacramento is oriented towards the Sierras for outdoor recreation and if you spend a day in Tahoe, the Sierras or Reno and then come back home the same day or next day, you quickly realize how mild and comfortable Sacramento really is in the winter.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:36 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Rain is hit or miss in this semi-desert climate, and obviously it is nowhere near the dampness of the heaths and moors, but when it does rain from November to April, it can really pour at times.
Sacramento doesn't have anything close to a desert climate. You are thinking of a steppe climate. You have to go down to Fresno for that, but it still isn't a desert. Bakersfield comes very close. If you go west of Bakersfield there are a few areas that are classified as desert.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:50 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
What fog, there has not been any significant long lasting fog in Sacramento in the last 5 years. Try walking around in 45F in Sacramento in winter layers, as if you were in a 20F snowy day, light wind. You will burn up.

I think its psychological. I've tested the theory. We've waked around Tahoe(stateline for at least 30 mins in the winter as we would dress in Sacramento in the winter, jeans, long leave shirt, no under shirt, no hat, no gloves, a sweater, but no heavy jacket. And we froze are puhtokahs off. We did the same in Reno when it was 15F, no snow, and in 10 mins we could not stand it, too cold.

It felt a lot warmer and more comfortable in Sacramento even when it when it is "damp". I can't even remember an all day long term foggy day in Sacramento; it literally has not happened in over 5 years.

There is a term called the "bone-chill factor" the Okies used when they came to the San Joaquin Valley. It was an expression used to describe the feeling as if it is colder than it really is when it is foggy. There is some truth to it. Your body creates a layer of warm air around it. In the case of wind-chill, the wind blows away that warm air. In the case of fog, the water moving through that warm air absorbs the heat, and it can absorb a lot of of it. Think of it being the opposite of a heat index. So, yes, it does have a physiological cooling effect and once in a while someone gets a case of hypothermia from it, although usually because they haven't bother to dress properly. So, at 40 degrees you are going to feel colder if it is foggy than if it is dry. My experience with working outdoors in it is a few layers beneath a jacket and I'm fine. Sometimes a bit warm. However, I'm one of those people who will have warm hands and feet if I'm getting any exercise in cold weather.

Fog lasting all day occurs in Sacramento. What is much more common is fog will settle in with a deep inversion overnight. The following day the sun will warm the ground just enough to warm the surface to just above dewpoint and the afternoon will end up overcast and misty with some drizzle. If you go up several hundred feet you are back into a situation where dewpoint and temperature meet. People in California have always referred to that low stratus as fog.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:52 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
The lows have been in the mid 30s every morning for a few weeks now. Seems like it is raining a lot less this year.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:20 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is true, compared to all except the Gulf Coast and Florida, a Sacramento winter is warmer than anywhere east of the Rockies; though yesterday we had a high of 57° and a low of 43° here, cold by our standards, but would be a typical winter day in Sacramento, and it felt cold to me most of the day. All depends on what you're used to
Actually, 57/43 would be a few degrees above the long term average for December.

The average high/low for Sacramento for December is 54/40 and that's near downtown Sac. at the warmest of the 3 stations.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?casacc+nca

Old 12-24-2017, 01:23 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Sacramento doesn't have anything close to a desert climate. You are thinking of a steppe climate. You have to go down to Fresno for that, but it still isn't a desert. Bakersfield comes very close. If you go west of Bakersfield there are a few areas that are classified as desert.
That's true. Sacramento is a Mediterranean climate. But Mediterranean, Steppe, and Desert climates all typically have erratic rainfall patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento