Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 119,069 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the Rocklin/Roseville area, and we have really come to like some of the new masterplanned communities (WestPark, Fiddyment Farms, Whitney Ranch) being develeped there.
We are two males in our upper 20s, educated, decent cars, six-figure income, and fairly laid-back individuals (totally "out" but not flamboyant by any stretch). Although we have greatly enjoyed living in Sacramento, we are looking for something in a quieter area, more space, and good public schools should we decide to adopt children sometime in the next decade.

We currently live in Sacramento (Tahoe Park) and have come to enjoy an exceptional level of acceptance in this area. I am well aware that the aforementioned suburbs are somewhat more conservative and less diverse. I was just wondering if anyone might be able to comment either on their own experiences--or those of friends/relatives--of being a same-sex couple in Roseville or Rocklin, especially any couples who are raising children in these areas. While I am confident that we'd be great, consciencious neighbors no matter what neighborhood we moved into, I am also concerned with how well-received we'd be moving into a more conservative, suburban locale.

Any feedback would be greatly apprecitated

Old 03-17-2008, 11:11 AM

375 posts, read 1,725,719 times
Not gay, but both areas are very good for raising a family! They have outstanding schools.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:17 PM

50 posts, read 271,001 times
I actually just moved from Tahoe Park into WestPark.

Roseville is definitely much more conservative than Sacramento but I don't think anyone would be outright hostile to you moving into their neighborhood. However I wouldn't be surprised if you get some raised eyebrow 'looks' if you're out with your partner.

I believe that newer developments are your best bet since they have many ex San Francisco residents.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM

238 posts, read 1,316,160 times
Mike's spot-on, I think. 75% of my Westpark cul-de-sac are Bay Area transplants...some are conservative, some are liberal, but we all get along very well and hang out regularly. Honestly, you probably WILL get a few looks just being out (pun intended) and about in the city (and probably even some whispering behind your back from my most conservative, devout Catholic neighbor, but you needn't feel bad, my other neighbors and I probably gossip about HIM far more! ), but I have not seen anyone be outright confrontational. You'll probably feel more harrassed by bumper stickers than the people around here!

We'd welcome ya....

Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Default It depends what you can live with

I would not choose to live anywhere in the South Placer County cities if I were a gay person. I worked in Rocklin for 5 years and found the area to be passively intolerant of not only gays, but minorities as well. The Roseville and Rocklin region posess an inherently strong base of the "traditional family values" philososphy with a predominately white and hyper-masculine Republican culture. I recall Roseville's Oakmont High School having big issues last year over the "Day of Silence" event held at the school. Conservative teens were wearing t-shirts protesting the event that had all the typical "Christianity" fueled, anti-homosexual propaganda printed on them. I remember thinking, "wow, if these kids are protesting other kids' decision to remain silent because they want to bring attention to the issue of hatred and intolerance than something is really, really wrong here."
I don't know, for me, I just got sick of all the "W" and "defense of marriage" bumper stickers and all the horrible jokes I heard at work about Asians, Mexicans, Blacks, and Gays.
But if you can blow off that kind of stuff, then you are a stronger person than me I guess.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Ironically, there are already quite a few gay couples in this area, mainly having relocated from the Bay Area in the past ten years when most of the mass exodus was taking place. What concerns me from your info is not that you are openly gay, it's your age. IMO, you are far too young to settle down in very boring suburbia! It might be a novelty for you at first, but believe me, you'd be sick of it pretty quickly. Yes, there is some good shopping here, but to me, it's rather shallow, and just more of the suburbia/car culture that many are now re-thinking. They are trying to bring an art/nightlife scene to the area, but so far it hasn't really gotten off the ground. If I were you, I'd wait until I had actually adopted a child before changing your lifestyle so drastically.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM

32 posts, read 130,501 times
I've got the same issue, although we're about 20 years older. We're relocating from Milwaukee and like the Fair Oaks area. Land Park, etc. just seem to pricey. Any thoughts on FO?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM

18 posts, read 119,069 times
Default Fair Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by david55838 View Post
I've got the same issue, although we're about 20 years older. We're relocating from Milwaukee and like the Fair Oaks area. Land Park, etc. just seem to pricey. Any thoughts on FO?
Fair Oaks and Land Park are both great areas, in my opinion, Land Park being the pricier of the two. Fair Oaks seems to be a lot of larger, ranch-style homes on larger lots with mature trees and meandering streets, whereas Land Park homes tend to be a little more dense but with much greater proximity to the downtown/midtown dining and entertainment offerings. There are lots of different architectural styles (craftsman, tudor, spanish, etc.) in LP and all beautifully maintained with HUGE trees everywhere. South Land Park could be a less expensive alternative to LP proper or Fair Oaks; again, slightly newer 50s/60s ranch styles but closer to the city life than Fair Oaks, and probably less expensive (I think mid 300s to low 500s depending on lot size and sq footage). Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 AM

32 posts, read 130,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonicblond View Post
Fair Oaks and Land Park are both great areas, in my opinion, Land Park being the pricier of the two. Fair Oaks seems to be a lot of larger, ranch-style homes on larger lots with mature trees and meandering streets, whereas Land Park homes tend to be a little more dense but with much greater proximity to the downtown/midtown dining and entertainment offerings. There are lots of different architectural styles (craftsman, tudor, spanish, etc.) in LP and all beautifully maintained with HUGE trees everywhere. South Land Park could be a less expensive alternative to LP proper or Fair Oaks; again, slightly newer 50s/60s ranch styles but closer to the city life than Fair Oaks, and probably less expensive (I think mid 300s to low 500s depending on lot size and sq footage). Hope this helps.
It does. Thanks. The only problem is that I have a rampant car hobby, and I need substantial garage space - not something readily available in the older homes. Just trying to find a compromise between newer cookie cutter developments and the smaller older homes. I'll be there in a few weeks, but my partner staying behind until our house sells here. I'll be able to scope out areas on my own for awhile.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM

238 posts, read 1,316,160 times
Actually looking4 home has a really good point there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento