Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

okay,
Im gay(33yo) and lived in Granite Bay for 1 and a half years. Spent a lot of time in Roseville and Rocklin. Coming from militantly liberal Oakland, it was somewhat of a culture shock in many ways.

People were not nearly as ignorant and bigoted as I thought they'd be. In fact, even the ones I knew were hardcore Republicans were still cordial as far as I could tell. My neighbor was this elderly woman who was a "daughter of the confederacy" who lived alone in her house and since I was alone with my dog, I frequently went over to say Hi, but she was very kind to me and I recently attended her funeral-there I ran into several friends who greeted me warmly.

I would be naive to say that bigotry and prejudice dont exist-because its everywhere, only at differing degrees.

But that shouldnt stop us from getting to know each others, sometimes our differing belief systems should take a back seat to things we have in common.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonicblond View Post
I've gotten lots of different replies, positive and negative, and all are appreciated. My other half and I have come to a decision and are going in this Saturday to sign papers on a new Shea home in Whitney Ranch--provided escrow closes tomorrow as planned on our current house (knock on wood). It looks like we're getting a smoking deal considering what this development was selling for 2 years ago, and the floorplan is a dream for the type of entertaining and cooking we like to do.

As far as acceptance is concerned, I've decided to say "screw it" and be ready for whatever happens. We'll have good neighbors and not so good neighbors just like anywhere else. I suppose all we can really do is live by the "do unto others" rule and hope it gets reciprocated.

Thanks again for the feedback.
I am a late-40's hetro-white-male-Christian-Republican... now, before you say "oh no here we go..." Let me say this...

Last year my wife and I bought a Standard Pacific home at Lariat Ridge in Whitney Ranch (almost bought a Shea but my wife wanted the other house ).

Anyway, here's what matters to me... do you take care of your house... do you pick up after your dog... do you say "hello" when people walk by... would you make small talk over the fence... compliment me on my cooking if I invited your family to dinner... would you lend me a shovel or a ladder if I needed one... would you offer to watch my house when I go out of town - pickup my newspaper or maybe get the mail for me... would you understand and give me the benefit of the doubt and help me to learn to be more tolerant, if our differences sometimes make me uncomfortable... that's what matters to me... I would do all these things for you and would hope you would do the same in return because that's what good neighbors do.

I say "welcome to Whitney Ranch, neighbor". I hope I run in to you at the Club House or Starbuck's or Blockbuster... I won't know who you are but that won't matter because I treat everyone the same... "do unto others..."

So if a late-40's slightly overweight pale white dude says "hello..." please say "hello..." in return... It might just be me

Last edited by baj2k; 05-10-2008 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
<snip>

People were not nearly as ignorant and bigoted as I thought they'd be. In fact, even the ones I knew were hardcore Republicans were still cordial as far as I could tell.

<snip>

I would be naive to say that bigotry and prejudice dont exist-because its everywhere, only at differing degrees.

<snip>
I'm new here... but I felt compelled to reply... if you read my previous post above you'll get a fair idea about how to "label" me... so it's with that in mind that I ask why do you use the word "Republican" as a pejorative?

When you say "People were not nearly as ignorant and bigoted as I thought they'd be". Isn't that exactly what you're being? Why would you have thought they would have been as you described before you met any of them?

And then you said "I would be naive to say that bigotry and prejudice dont exist-because its everywhere, only at differing degrees"... I agree and I see it to a degree in your post too... Isn't it considered intolerant to use a "broad brush" to label and dismiss entire groups of people based on a stereotype?

Please get to know me before you decide "what" I am... you might just be surprised.

Last edited by baj2k; 05-10-2008 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Gay's seem to be hidden in Sacramento. Phoenix on the other hand... There are gay's all over the place. My friend is gay, my boss is gay, i live in the gay neighborhood and im straight!

I'm very surprised to see gay folks posting here

Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 AM

175 posts, read 795,668 times
Default Kind of annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Gay's seem to be hidden in Sacramento. Phoenix on the other hand... There are gay's all over the place. My friend is gay, my boss is gay, i live in the gay neighborhood and im straight!

I'm very surprised to see gay folks posting here
I always find this question and the racial ones annoying. If it's not an issue why do people always try to make it into one? Live and let live.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Would that be like me posting in the Japan forums. "What side of town has the most Americans?"

Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM

142 posts, read 471,412 times
Default Question

I've always wondered when people ask if a place is <specific> friendly do they want to know if that means there are more of whatever it is they are or more accepting of what they are?

Because I know when I ask if somewhere is a good neighborhood, I'm asking if the homes are well-tended to, if the neighborhood has a sense of community, is crime low, are there local stores and shops, etc. I don't neccessarily care if my neighbors are gay, white, black, brown, republican or democrat. I'm not paying their bills nor are they paying mine so as long as they're law abiding, take care of their homes and their families, enjoy the community we live in- well.. welcome to my neighborhood!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,186 times
Quote:
Well, if you're looking for more garage, or at least a decent side-yard with room enough for a project car or two, then South Land Park and Fair Oaks are probably your best bets. South Land Park homes tend to be on larger lots and less dense than older Land Park, with many on cul-de-sacs allowing for more generous yard space for a workshop/extra garage. Same with Fair Oaks. I would also try the Arden Park, College Greens/Glenbrook and Country Club Plaza areas. My partner is a car buff too so no less than a three-car will do for us. However, our move hinges on how much his current place sells for. The realtor he's working with is really good, and I'd be happy to pass along her contact info if you like.
Can you give me that realty agent's name as well? I'll be looking in early 2009 to by a home, hopefully in a gay-friendly area, at or below 200K.
Thanks, Bryan

Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Doubt anyone would notice you

To be honest in the suburbs I doubt you'd be noticed at all as long as you keep up your property and don't annoy the neighbors. I couldn't even tell you the names of most of my neighbors. Everyone is pretty private. I have 2 teenagers and like the majority of the neighborhood we stay busy. Just from observing the neighbors come and go they seem to be typically straight couples but who cares really. I am a conservative, republican but I honestly do not care what anyone else does/believe etc as long as it's not forced upon me or mine. We teach our children to be respectful of everyone.

However, I would agree with one of the other posters about your age. I do think you'd be quickly bored in the burbs. You aren't going to have a lot in common with most of us. (kids change all) One other point. Schools can change very quickly. What is a good school today could go up or downhill in a blink. You may want to wait until you have children to decide where you want to settle. Looking in from the outside can be deceiving.

Quote:
My partner and I are looking to purchase a home in the Rocklin/Roseville area, and we have really come to like some of the new masterplanned communities (WestPark, Fiddyment Farms, Whitney Ranch) being develeped there.
We are two males in our upper 20s, educated, decent cars, six-figure income, and fairly laid-back individuals (totally "out" but not flamboyant by any stretch). Although we have greatly enjoyed living in Sacramento, we are looking for something in a quieter area, more space, and good public schools should we decide to adopt children sometime in the next decade.

We currently live in Sacramento (Tahoe Park) and have come to enjoy an exceptional level of acceptance in this area. I am well aware that the aforementioned suburbs are somewhat more conservative and less diverse. I was just wondering if anyone might be able to comment either on their own experiences--or those of friends/relatives--of being a same-sex couple in Roseville or Rocklin, especially any couples who are raising children in these areas. While I am confident that we'd be great, consciencious neighbors no matter what neighborhood we moved into, I am also concerned with how well-received we'd be moving into a more conservative, suburban locale.

Any feedback would be greatly apprecitated

Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM

Default Hmmmm

You know what's funny to me? The people that are the most judgemental in this thread seem to be minority, Democrats. Get over it people. People
are way to involved in their own lives to care much about yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToThree View Post
I would have to say that I agree with this. Honestly, I wouldn't live in Placer County being in a same sex relationship. Look into Carmichael and Fair Oaks (older neighborhoods, no expansion, very low crime, etc.). San Juan Unified School District is among some of the best. I wouldn't put my children into a Placer County school even having a reputation as being one of the finer counties. Too Republican for me. If you are planning to adopt, you *REALLY* do not want to live in Placer County. I can PM you and we can have a private discussion. Stay in Sacramento County....I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento