Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick a reason why you use SFO, OAK or San Jose airports.
Because I am unaware of Sacramento's (SMF) numerous and expanding flight options. 5 13.16%
Sometimes I can save $100 on airfare although I am willing to spend $100-$200 just to get to SFO. 7 18.42%
My preferred airline does not fly out of SMF. 16 42.11%
I don't care that I have to deal with Bay Area traffic and the Bay Bridge. 3 7.89%
I stay with Bay Area friends and family the day before flying. 5 13.16%
I'm originally from the Bay Area and I'm used to using SFO/OAK/SJC airports. 5 13.16%
I don't care that I waste 2-4 hours getting to Bay Area airports. 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:12 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't depend on luck when I fly international, I rely upon common sense and a nonstop flight is far more likely to get me to my destination on time. Sorry but that trumps any loyalty that I might feel toward a particular airport and always will.
I rely on my wallet.

Sac is usually more expensive to fly out of for international flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You keeping harping on "loyalty", this as nothing to do with loyalty.
For me, as a Sacramentan, it makes good sense to always consider SMF first. And I always factor in the costs, time, and inconvenience of flying out of a bay area airport against an SMF airfare.
It seemed to me like you were making this a loyalty issue and on some occasions chastising people for not flying out of SMF, if I misinterpreted your statements I apologize

Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I rely on my wallet.

Sac is usually more expensive to fly out of for international flights.
that too

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 PM

6,914 posts, read 8,292,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It seemed to me like you were making this a loyalty issue and on some occasions chastising people for not flying out of SMF, if I misinterpreted your statements I apologize
No worries, apology accepted. Think of it from my point of view, perhaps, I am the one being chastised. Either way, thanks for your comments thus far.

People still have not answered these questions:

What cities are they coming when they use SMF, SFO, OAK, SJC?

Wouldn't bay area people prefer we didn't use SFO and OAK to reduce traffic, congestion and stress?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:20 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,886,096 times
It has been established by multiple posters here that SFO is a better option than SMF for long international flights to Europe and Asia due to cheaper fare and nonstop options.

I don't know what the OP is still arguing about?

Old 02-03-2018, 09:49 AM

Hello there, I forgot to ask how far you are from your nearest airport in minutes and/or miles? (SMF, SFO, OAK, SJC)

The OP is 12 miles and 10-15 minutes from SMF.

(I don't work for any airports, nor airlines )

Thanks to those who gave thoughtful responses and marked the poll.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,181,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
It has been established by multiple posters here that SFO is a better option than SMF for long international flights to Europe and Asia due to cheaper fare and nonstop options.

I don't know what the OP is still arguing about?
Same tired drum. Sacramento is bestest at everything.

I like SMF. It's a good domestic airport. As an international airport it's a laughing stock because, well, it does barely any international flights. It's a bit lacking in amenities (no fancy lounge), but then there's no international flights so no one flies into Sacramento from other airports and waits around for hours on a layover so why would you have a fancy lounge? San Jose "international" was the same way ten years ago.

They are trying to get more international flights though, just slow going. The renovations and airline subsidies haven't really attracted any yet.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

I like SMF. It's a good domestic airport.

but then there's no international flights so no one flies into Sacramento from other airports and waits around for hours on a layover so why would you have a fancy lounge?

They are trying to get more international flights though, just slow going. The renovations and airline subsidies haven't really attracted any yet.
The airline subsidies have just commenced at SMF. OAK and SJC have been offering airline subsidies for many years and the subsidies they offer are twice what SMF is willing to offer.

What do you mean, there are "no international flights"? Yes there are several international flights at SMF (Mexico and Canada).

SMF has plenty of are nice restaurants and bars, most of them are local restaurants and bars as well.

One of reasons SMF was rated Best Medium sized Airport in the nation several years in a row is because of the restaurants and bars.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,046,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
What do you mean, there are "no international flights"? Yes there are several international flights at SMF (Mexico and Canada).
Oh, please. That's state #51 and state #52. He was talking about REAL international flights. Europe. Asia.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,429,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Oh, please. That's state #51 and state #52. He was talking about REAL international flights. Europe. Asia.
+1

I remember when the airport was out in the middle of the rice fields. Always thought the "International" part was a way of Suckatomato was fluffing itself up into something important. I vaguely remember an International terminal, but I also remember it as a some dull, grey building that was never seemed to be open. This was in the mid-70's and I was fairly young.

I do have to admit that it had been ages since I came through the terminals and was duly flabbergasted at the new construction. Trams at Sacto? - Hokey Smokes!

Parents live in Sac and when I need to, I fly into there. Usually Southwest with a stop in Vegas or L.A.. If I were to fly into S.F., I check the Oakland prices as well because of BART. It's a good airport because it serves the state capital and a growing population, but not an airport that first comes to mind when thinking of California air travel.

Also, somewhat unsettled that OP is still stirring the pot after 11 pages. Most CD posters come in with their agenda (or biased polls), get things riled up only to never be seen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento