Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 AM

572 posts, read 599,209 times

Advertisements

You mention being burnt on traffic and materialism/superficiality and then say that you are looking for upscale suburban living similar to Irvine? Have you considered that those kind of areas breed those issues you are trying to escape?

What you are describing that you do not like is modern western society. I'm sure LA/OC has a bigger dose of it than most places but you need to find your peace within it. The Sacramento area is very diverse and has plenty of options for different types of areas to live and things to do - especially when you consider what is within a couple hours drive. What do you mean by wholesome culture?

"And shhhh! The most beautiful summer beaches in all of CA are in Tahoe:"

That is funny. Shhhh don't let the secret out. Have you been up to Tahoe over the summer in the last 10 years?! It's jam packed with the masses. You either have to pay through the nose for private beach access or arrive at the crack of dawn to public beaches to even get a spot to chill. It's still beautiful up there and I have enjoyable trips - but just like many other places in California the vast number of other people out and about "enjoying" what is on offer here does detract from the overall quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
OP, every single one of the above posters doesn't even live in Sacramento and never has. None them are from the Sacramento area either. I'll give you some insights on Sacramento and the Sacramento Area, later. I've lived here a long time now, but I'm originally from San Diego and I've lived in LA for many yea

Note: Sacramento is not in Nevada so I have no idea why one of the posters above is telling you that his friends left Nevada to live in Oceanside. I know many people who have lived in Sacramento, tried Reno out for a while and moved back to Sacramento.
Oh shucks, I guess you're after me again.

Of course, none of us know if you really live in Sacto, or if you're in Siberia.

But, for anyone who wants to believe anyone on this forum, yes, I absolutely did live in Sacto, and in Davis. And whatever I said above was my absolute truth.

But, hey, Chimerique seems to think he/she is the only one with any real knowledge of the area, simply because he/she still supposedly lives there and has nothing whatsoever negative to say about the area.

Now, you might wonder why that is? Is Chemirique actually a real estate agent?

Use your own judgment. And take any and all internet advice with a grain of salt, while considering what sounds the most real or honest or reasonable - is my advice.

Heck, Chimerique even has a huge thread about how great Sacto weather is - regardless of the fact that many people moved away because it's too hot in summer, and the tule fog in winter is ungodly.

Just consider the sources and use your own best judgment.

You can also look up actual data - not only here on City Data, but also on weather websites like wunderground that will give you actual historic data for each year. You can click on "calendar" and see a whole month's worth of highs and lows and weather, as far as sunny, rain, cloudy, etc.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
OP, every single one of the above posters doesn't even live in Sacramento and never has. None them are from the Sacramento area either. I'll give you some insights on Sacramento and the Sacramento Area, later. I've lived here a long time now, but I'm originally from San Diego and I've lived in LA for many years.

Note: Sacramento is not in Nevada so I have no idea why one of the posters above is telling you that his friends left Nevada to live in Oceanside. I know many people who have lived in Sacramento, tried Reno out for a while and moved back to Sacramento.
Actually, I live in Davis. I'm originally from Orange County.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm a NorCal native who loves Sacramento but lives in San Diego. Chimerique knows Sac really well, so listen to him! But for what it's worth, I'll add my two cents, because I've been there more times than I can count, but I still don't know all the great local finds.

Do keep in mind that no matter where you live, there will be at least some materialistic people who flaunt their wealth, and Sacramento is no exception:

But nowhere will have such pervasive materialism as South OC or parts of LA. There will be more down to Earth people elsewhere. Hopefully, the constant Influx of Bay Areans moving to Sac won't change that, but given those are the folks who are moving to Sacramento for affordability, I'd guess the newbies aren't going to be snobs.

Funny you should mention museums, live sports, and the arts, as I don't think of South OC as a hotbed for that, but LA of course is. Sacramento, like every city, does offer some of that and showcases its uniqueness in those offerings. I understand that a minor league baseball game on a summer's night can't be beat, and of course there is an NBA team. Even if you don't need those things, they exist sufficiently for the occasional dip.

Sacramento proper definitely has a unique vibe within California that I think is really cool. For starters, it's the state capitol, so government is pervasive downtown, and just seeing the State Capitol all the time has a special, historic feel. It's a calm, relaxed city, though, that reminds me a bit of Portland with its modern lofts, hipster cafes, and leafy streets:

Check out the new food Hall about to open: https://www.thebank629j.com
I do think Sacramento hast more Old West influence than Portland, however, and there's definitely a palpable connection to old California history. And of course there are palm trees so you know you're still in California:

Even while you can enjoy the best fall colors in the state:

So Sacramento is a city with many different elements all intersecting: government, agriculture, modernity, history, tradition, and novelty. All with a generous sprinkling, but not saturation, of California.

You'll be hours from the kinds of ocean beaches you're used to (basically, Santa Cruz is the only norcal beach area that feels like SoCal), but only minutes to lake beaches (technically reservoirs):

And shhhh! The most beautiful summer beaches in all of CA are in Tahoe:

I can't explain the beauty but to say it looks like Caribbean water in the middle of the mountains.

So as for edge cities, places like Roseville will be the most modern and similar to Irvine:

But there's also a quaint small town side to it:

Nothing comes close to the size and scope of Irvine in terms of office high-rises in the suburbs though.

As for job opportunities, I'd guess that there are far more high paying tech jobs in OC, for example, but Sacramento has a stable and diverse economy. Sac is not cutting edge, but as far as a "brighter future," I think if you define that as a place where you can meet nice people, enjoy a chill urban vibe, afford a home, avoid the worst of the rat race, and in particular enjoy the outdoors in so many more ways (biking or walking along the river, tubing in the river, kayaking on a lake, hiking in national parks, skiing in winter, etc), plus weekend access to world class wineries in Napa and Sonoma, plus San Francisco, then I'd say there is a bright future there to anyone who wants it.

Now as for avoiding heat, Chimerique will possibly steer you to an epic thread on Sacramento weather, but unless you have a weekend to kill, just know this: the area receives about 20 inches of rain per year, almost all of it in winter, compared to 14 in Irvine. That's about fifty percent more rain, but it's still not a lot by national standards. From July through September, Sacramento is actually the sunniest city on Earth. During the summer, you'll pretty much have clear skies virtually every day. Summers are about ten degrees hotter than Irvine, but... no humidity. I'd say it feels "hotter" yet more comfortable. When you sweat, it dries you right off. Winters are about ten degrees cooler. Spring and summer about the same. Just don't expect to avoid heat in the Central Valley of California. The Central Valley is known for heat. It's what grows all those fruits and vegetables! But at least it's not the insane heat of Redding or Bakersfield.

One more thought... Have you considered San Diego? You can't get more down-to-earth than here. San Diegans pride themselves on being anti-LA for those very reasons you mentioned leaving. And being mostly a coastal city, we average in the 70s and 80s even in summer. It's noticeably more mild than LA or OC. And housing is cheaper than both, although more expensive than Sacramento. Just another place to check out.

We live in a great state with some wonderful options. Keep us posted!
What you read above in terms of weather is correct, BUT winters are cloudier and foggier than Irvine.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:25 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
and the tule fog in winter is ungodly.
Tule fog in Sacramento has been next to NONEXISTENT in the last 7-8 years.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Tule fog in Sacramento has been next to NONEXISTENT in the last 7-8 years.

Hmmm...some Sacramento Bee newspaper weather forecasts for fog in last couple years with quick Google search:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...126798889.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...126610509.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...114119713.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...120356238.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...116831368.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/...e56607998.html

Really, what is your agenda? Why not just tell the truth about the area? You can still say you like it anyway. But, I don't understand misleading people about the truth. Although "next" to non-existent does mean it exists...but putting "non-existent" in all caps....

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-30-2018 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 11:02 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsforyouu View Post
All over, but polished upper middle class suburbs... I like the weather, outdoors opportunities, varied cultures and life opportunities, lots of resources (medical, academic, career, etc).

You could say that what I value most is options...vague of course, but that's something that California provides a lot of

Chimérique- Where in the Sacramento metro do you think is most similar to Irvine? Like a really polished, dense sprawl, well rounded, edge type city feel

Is somewhere like Roseville/Rocklin too far out to capitalize on all that Sacramento has to offer?
Hello, OP, Roseville, Folsom and Davis(because of the University of California) is the most like Irvine.

But nationally, where would you really find any place quite like Irvine and its nearby coast, nowhere really. Phoenix? no ocean no coast, culturally not California; Florida? no mountains, culturally not exactly like California. Texas? super hot and humid, much colder in the winter, no coast, no mountains, not California culture.

Roseville/Rocklin and Folsom is more accessible to downtown Sacramento than Orange County is to Downtown LA, the Westside(LA) or certainly the SFV.

Regarding options, Sacramento is similar to Portland/Austin/KC, but Sacramento is right next door to the Bay Area, which gives you a lot more options. Whenever I feel Sacramento just doesn't offer enough, I have San Francisco and the East Bay. I truly can drive from downtown Sacramento to downtown San Francisco in 1 hour (as long you don't travel when it is obviously going to have heavy traffic (rush hours, late afternoon on a Sunday, etc.). There is a very comfortable commuter train that connects Roseville/Sacramento/Davis with the East Bay/San Francisco/Silicon Valley. It is a really nice option to have. This commuter train connects directly with BART(the Bay Area's Subway type system).

But, honestly, I find myself going to San Francisco/the Bay less and less, specifically because Sacramento offers so much more than it did just 10 years ago.

Sacramento is much more accessible to the Bay Area than San Diego is to LA(I'm not talking about southern OC).

Remember that Sacramento is a California city, and overall, the people, the cultural, the diversity of Sacramento is more like LA/Orange County than some of the other places people are moving to like: Portland, Seattle, Austin, Phoenix and Vegas.

How is Irvine a "edge type city feel", please elaborate.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-30-2018 at 11:57 PM..

Old 10-30-2018, 11:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I really enjoy living in Sacramento, I can't think of a place I would rather live. I've lived in San Francisco, Marin, Contra Costa, Sonoma & Solano Counties, the Antelope Valley, Eugene Oregon and Reno and now for the past 4 years I've been in Sacramento. It has it's warts and wrinkles but it's a perfect balance for my husband and I, we have kids in the SF Bay Area and friends in Reno and getting to either one of those places is relatively quick and easy. We love the weather, the availability of shopping and dining here and probably more than anything else we value our little 1/4 acre mini farm where we raise a good amount of our own produce and get enough eggs for ourselves and our neighbors from our 6 hens.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
OP, every single one of the above posters doesn't even live in Sacramento and never has. None them are from the Sacramento area either. I'll give you some insights on Sacramento and the Sacramento Area, later. I've lived here a long time now, but I'm originally from San Diego and I've lived in LA for many years.

I was born and grew up in Sacramento...

Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM

248 posts, read 803,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsforyouu View Post
I'm burnt on traffic and materialism/superficiality. I really don't care about museums/live sports/the arts, or summer heat. But, I don't want to curl up in a ball and quit on life as I'm still young. Is Sacramento a good alternative to LA/OC? Is there perhaps a more wholesome culture, bright future, and easier way of life?
Road Trip! Sounds like you need to make a visit to the City of Trees to get a feel for what you're looking for and Fall is one of the better times to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento