Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,918 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m planning to move (back) to the Sacramento area, from Los Angeles and am considering a few neighborhoods for my family. I haven’t lived in the area since I graduated high school, but I grew up in Roseville/Granite Bay. I’m not really looking into Roseville/Rocklin as it’s just too familiar and I’d love to change it up from my youth.

I’m now looking mainly in Folsom, gravitating to the American River Canyon area.

Reason being is the larger lots and homes with a little more character.

The houses I’m looking at would be zoned to Carl Sundahl Elementary. Any red flags or issues on that Elementary?

I have 2 young kids, and my commute will mostly just be the airport and back once a week as I’ll be splitting my time between Sac and L.A.

My concern is the ARC neighborhood is a little far from the freeway, but I think the larger home lots are worth it. But I also like Natoma Station as well as the houses zoned to Sandra Gallardo Elementary. They all feed into Sutter Middle School and Folsom High School. But I don’t love the uniform tract home neighborhoods nearly as much.

What’s the consensus on Sutter Middle? Anything I should worry about?

Having looked around ARC a little, it seems like it might be an older-skewing neighborhood compared to other parts of Folsom, is that the case?

Best areas of Folsom for less tract homes and more character?

I’m also looking at Gold River, but concerned about the HOAs and restrictions. Thoughts there?

Lastly I’m into Carmichael, if I could get a place zoned to Del Dayo Elementary. Love the larger lots and more mature yards.

Where would you all recommend as being the best choice? Is there somewhere I’m not considering? I’m worried El Dorado Hills would just be pushing it too far from Sac and also I really didn’t love the Serrano neighborhoods, way too perfect and creepy.

I like having a yard and a house with character.

I’ve looked up the school rankings of all that I’ve mentioned, and while Folsom elementaries rate better, is there really a huge difference?

Sorry, that was long, any advice or opinions would be welcome. My budget should allow me to find something in any area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 05:23 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Most of the Folsom schools are very highly rated, so as long as you’re checking that you should be fine with any of the schools. I really like the American River Canyon area for the all the reasons you mentioned. Well the homes are older, they have bigger lots and more mature landscaping. One thing that might cause concern is that middle school and high school you’ll have to go over the bridge and that will add some extra time for you to get there.

There are plenty of areas in El Dorado Hills that don’t look like Serrano, older neighborhoods with larger lots and more mature landscaping. But you’re right, it is that much further away from Sacramento.

I have clients that moved from Gold River to El Dorado Hills - mostly due to the school situation once they hit high school. They really liked the neighborhood, but you have to watch the specific house because some of the HOA fees are really high there. I think what my clients didn’t like about Gold River is that they felt like no matter where you were in the neighborhood you could always hear highway 50 traffic noise. Not everyone is as sensitive to the traffic noise as they are, but it was a real problem for them.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 PM

Thank you for the reply.

How long would that commute over the bridge be? Looks like just a 10 minute drive when looking at google maps from the general American River Canyon area to Sutter Middle. Then about 15 minutes to Folsom high school.

And do you think there’s a big difference between Sutter Middle/Folsom HS and Folsom Middle/Vista Del lago? Or pretty much the same?

I live on a high traffic street in LA right now, so I’m not sure I’d be bothered by the Hwy 50 noise, but that’s great to know.

If you had to rank schools based on your knowledge, would there be a clear top choice/area?

Old 06-01-2019, 11:52 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Drive time depends on the traffic. It can get pretty backed up going down Folsom Auburn especially at the bridge. 10-15 minutes should be enough.

Rating wise, I don’t think there is a lot of difference between the middle school and HS options. I’m sure there are nuances of why people prefer one over the other but it depends on the situation.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Follow the water.

Homes with the most character are typically on the north bluffs of the American River, or in Granite Bay and El Dorado Hills overlooking Folsom Lake. At least as far as the suburbs go. Outside of oldtown, Folosm is pretty cookie cutter.

Personally, I love the Fair Oaks area. Carmichael is a little more hit or miss. The neighborhoods along the river are usually nice. But other parts look like tweakerville, and those tweakers' kids at some point may be zoned with your kids schools.

San Jaun unified zoning seems to change almost yearly, to accommodate shifting enrollment patterns. If you can't get a home that has your kids zoned to feed into Rio Americano High, I would forget it. Fair Oaks is just easier, it mostly feeds to Bella Vista High which is okay

Old 06-02-2019, 04:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Gold River is okay and has a decent k-8. They also get zoned to Rio Americano High.

But you are right next to Ranch Cordova, which has crime issues.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I would suggest joining the Facebook group Folsom Chat for more answers to your neighborhood/school questions. I'm in folsom also, but no school age kids.

I hate commuting, so I choose a house closer to the 50 side of town. There are neighborhoods with bigger lots over here too, like Lexington Hills and Hillcrest, or even further up Carpenter Hill and into Empire Ranch, or if you want to go south towards Folsom-auburn Rd, the established areas near Natamos Station have larger lots.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Drive time depends on the traffic. It can get pretty backed up going down Folsom Auburn especially at the bridge. 10-15 minutes should be enough.
On a side note about traffic, I came across Folsom Crossing today at 4, it was backed up from Beale's Point all the way to Blue Ravine.

There is lots of expansion going on in folsom, and the traffic is getting worse. I believe the 3rd (for the year, if not within the past 90 days) fatal cyclist vs car accident happened today as well.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I would suggest joining the Facebook group Folsom Chat for more answers to your neighborhood/school questions. I'm in folsom also, but no school age kids.

I hate commuting, so I choose a house closer to the 50 side of town. There are neighborhoods with bigger lots over here too, like Lexington Hills and Hillcrest, or even further up Carpenter Hill and into Empire Ranch, or if you want to go south towards Folsom-auburn Rd, the established areas near Natamos Station have larger lots.
Would love to have a more specific community to chat with, but I deleted Facebook a long time ago and will never go back.

For the commute, you mention in your other post that traffic was backed up at 4 pm, how long of a delay from normal would you say that caused? I definitely would prefer to be closer to the freeway, just haven’t found a place I’ve loved yet, but I’ll check out those specific areas you noted, thank you.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBallz View Post
Would love to have a more specific community to chat with, but I deleted Facebook a long time ago and will never go back.

For the commute, you mention in your other post that traffic was backed up at 4 pm, how long of a delay from normal would you say that caused? I definitely would prefer to be closer to the freeway, just haven’t found a place I’ve loved yet, but I’ll check out those specific areas you noted, thank you.
I find it interesting that facebook is far more active for communities, than forums like CD.

I work from home so i no longer deal with the commute. I was off on monday when i got caught in the traffic jam trying to get past Folsom Lake. This would be the main route if you are coming from Granite Bay to the east side of folsom, or up the hill to El Dorado Hills and beyond.

My brother and his wife are long term commuters to downtown. SIL hates it. She changes between private vehicle and light rail every couple of years when she gets absolutely sick of public transportation or idiots on the road.

Since you will be going to the airport, if you can leave folsom by 6, you'll bypass the majority of the traffic to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento