Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 01:57 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times

Advertisements

Here's how I'd do it:

1. Select an RE firm that offers rebates on buyer's commissions, something like 1%. That's a considerable chunk of cash. RE agents or firms that don't offer rebates are a non-starter for me.

2. I look at internet for sale listings and go see the homes myself. I don't need or want the agent to drive me around.

3. If there's a home I'm interested in, then I'll contact my agent and have him or her submit an offer, and then represent me in any negotiations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 05:46 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times
What RE firms offer the rebate on buyer commissions would this be Redfin by chance?
I am good at finding homes and going to an open house to view them on my own.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
True so why use one then? Seems like they are going extinct with online websites like Zillow and Redfin that do the work of RE agents in the past. I may just do that instead, find house online, view it and make offer. Seems easier to me.
For the same reason you hire a lawyer. I see lay people in court every day who "think" they know the law. And they usually get pimped slapped by the Judge 99 times out of 100.

Same reason you hire a real estate agent. Because they KNOW real estate. If you "think" you do, you probably really don't.

Would you practice dental issues yourself? Or do you have a dentist you have hired to fix your teeth issues?

Pretty simple concept. That is why these things are called "Trades and Professions". Best of luck.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:05 PM

I don't see what value any past agent has shown me- they always seem to have conflict of interest show me homes that their other agents show and try to get me to buy one they have in mind.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:04 PM

49 posts, read 135,426 times
Default real estate byer agent

Quote:
Do they exist and how did you exactly determine if the real estate agent was any good or not?
a good agent will take time to listen to your needs and explain things
choose a full time agent or a broker who works with buyers
interview multiple agents
has good negotiation skills
is a problem solver
has local reputation
is part of a good team
read their clients testimonials, ask for referrals
go to open houses and see how they interact with potential clients

ask questions to see how knowledgeable they are (local area, housing market...)

if you are interested in finding a good agent, please PM.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:44 PM

Still no luck doing these things most come across as used car salesmen.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:33 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,970 times
Quote:
Still no luck doing these things most come across as used car salesmen.
You need to find someone who has a background in real estate development or public agency side of things related to planning, engineering, building, etc. who really understands the issues affecting certain areas, certain builders, etc. Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Agree since parking is $$$$$ downtown and long commutes a no go for me. I do hope to land a state promotional opportunity that offers free parking or at the very least some telecommute flexibility so it makes commute easier option.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:48 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Because you don't actually know at this point what you need from a real estate agent, I would skip getting one. At some point later in the process you might come up with a need for an agent and if and when that occurs you can get one who can solve what ever problem that arises that made you realize you needed an agent, but if that doesn't occur maybe you will be fine without one.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:30 PM

Well I want to buy an affordable home close to work in a safe area. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento