Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 03:18 PM

478 posts, read 691,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackattack04 View Post
Great responses! Helping to build the pro/con list. I'll try and address everything.

Moddedintegra56 - not really concerned about that and never have been. Growing up in the bay diversity has never been something we thought about, it always just was. Really just looking for more family orientated living, younger family's, lots of outdoor activities, less traffic (15min to the grocery store that is only 2 miles away!). I will miss the easy access to my favorite Japanese/Korean/Filipino/Medeterian/Mexican/ect food choices. That being said, in Hayward, there isn't much that's great. Most of the time we end up going to neighboring cities for good food (Fremont, Castro Valley, Oakland, San Jose, ect.). Don't want an HOA area (uppity area) if I can avoid it. Don't mind a mix of houses and lifestyles, everyone has the right to live the way they want. And a pool is pretty much a requirement of the wife to move out of the bay area LOL!

Thanks!

See there, you never thought about it because it always just was. So it might be drastic change moving to one of the placer county cities because in comparison, there is no diversity. If you want suburbia with good schools, variety of different ethnic foods, then Elk Grove really is it. Sac is close by if you can't already find the variety of culture rich stuff in Elk Grove. Mean while if you are in placer county, most would have to drive to sac which is a lot further.

Also you don't want HOA? Then you might as well forget most of roseville/rocklin and even EDH and elk grove too. If there is no HOA there are high mella roos. Set aside about $250-300 A MONTH on mella roos which is on TOP of an HOA if there is one. It's common for some to be paying upwards close to if not $500 a month on a combined mella roos/hoa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 03:22 PM

478 posts, read 691,360 times
I heard up in Cameron Park there is no PGE Gas so you have those huge propane tanks that has to be refilled/delivered? Correct me if im wrong.

I have met someone who went to Cameron Park instead of EDH because they wanted to avoid the HOA? It's definitely starts to transition from suburban to more rural/country in Cameron Park but not quite so its a good balance IMO. If you can deal with the gas supply issue if thats true for most of the area and stores and such requires going to EDH which isnt too far.

Old 12-02-2021, 03:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
I don't know how much of it is due to covid and how much of it is due to Meth getting a lot cheaper as the cartels moved to P2P production. But the homeless situation has gotten dramatically worse in the Sacramento region in the past two years. The homeless situation also just isn't in downtown Sacramento, its throughout the region, so you really can't escape it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...w-meth/620174/

I will also say when I was out in Dallas/Ft Worth the homeless situation was dramatically better. If the problem is Meth or Covid, I really don't have an explanation why homelessness is effecting Dallas/Ft Worth region less than the Sacramento region.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:08 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
The city of Dallas and Sacramento County are pretty similar in population (1.3 million vs. 1.5 million) and homeless population (around 4500 vs about 5500 by their official counts.) So there is no explanation why homelessness is affecting them less, because it really isn't.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The city of Dallas and Sacramento County are pretty similar in population (1.3 million vs. 1.5 million) and homeless population (around 4500 vs about 5500 by their official counts.) So there is no explanation why homelessness is affecting them less, because it really isn't.
Trail and park homeless communities make it feel closer to home in sac is one reason why. Lots of people feel suffocated by them in sac. In Fresno, homeless are mostly in the less desirable parts, so they're easier to avoid if you have money(this might change one day). I think the lack of homeless in placer county is one reason why it's gotten so popular in recent years.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:20 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
See there, you never thought about it because it always just was. So it might be drastic change moving to one of the placer county cities because in comparison, there is no diversity. If you want suburbia with good schools, variety of different ethnic foods, then Elk Grove really is it.
Ugh. Elk Grove. To each his own, but in my experience Elk Grove is a hot, flat series of unending housing developments with a punishing commute to Sac.

Quote:
Also you don't want HOA? Then you might as well forget most of roseville/rocklin and even EDH and elk grove too. If there is no HOA there are high mella roos. Set aside about $250-300 A MONTH on mella roos which is on TOP of an HOA if there is one. It's common for some to be paying upwards close to if not $500 a month on a combined mella roos/hoa.
It depends what kind of property you are looking for. Yes, if you want a cookie cutter house in a suburban development (giant house, tiny lot) you are going to probably face both HOA and Mello Roos assessments. But there are plenty of older homes on larger lots that don't have either. If you live out in the country, you won't have HOAs or Mello Roos, but you will be paying extra $$ for fire insurance, irrigation water, well and septic maintenance and probably higher utility bills. You pick your poison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Trail and park homeless communities make it feel closer to home in sac is one reason why. Lots of people feel suffocated by them in sac. In Fresno, homeless are mostly in the less desirable parts, so they're easier to avoid if you have money(this might change one day). I think the lack of homeless in placer county is one reason why it's gotten so popular in recent years.
Oh, Placer County has plenty of homeless issues. The problem is particularly grim in Auburn around the jail, but also lots of homeless and panhandlers in Rocklin and Roseville. The county is trying to get a new shelter built in rural Roseville that I hope will help relieve the situation. (https://www.thegatheringinn.com/campus/)

Old 12-03-2021, 03:58 PM

26 posts, read 22,366 times
Folsom because it's close to everything and SMUD.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:24 PM

207 posts, read 220,645 times
A 1000 sq ft fixer upper in Hayward with bad public schools and crime does not sound too appealing for a family with kids so Granite Bay/Roseville/Rocklin or Folsom/EDH/Cameron Park/Shingle Springs might be two good options, depending on a budget and projected commute. Both areas are nowadays reasonably moderate politically. They used to be solidly Republican but things are changing fast. GB is probably the wealthiest of the mentioned places, and also, not coincidently, the reddest. Unlike Moddedintegra56 who brings this subject every single time, I would not bother too much with diversity or a lack of thereof in any of the mentioned places. There are idiots in every place be it Berkeley or Granite Bay and then there are some decent people there as well. I would just try to avoid any extremes and the foothills might fit the bill.

Since you and your wife have slightly difference preferences you should explore the areas more and then come to your own conclusion.

Davis is another excellent choice but it could be quite pricey. It is also very very liberal which does not bother me one single bit. It is safe, has very good schools. and great for families who can afford it.

You might also what to look at Fair Oaks. I do not have a too high opinion about Elk Grove (too flat, too boring, too nothing...) but some people on this board like it, so this is another suggestion. To its defense, the majority of Elk Grove's public schools are quite decent.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I live in an unincorporated area of Sac County. Fair Oaks, Carmichael, most of the residential parts of Arden-Arcade & Orangevale are all unincorporated. If I had it to do over again I would have moved to an incorporated area, probably Folsom or Citrus Heights. It's like the wild west here, side shows in the parking lots at night, drag races on main thoroughfares, and few sidewalks or streetlights. A house was broken into near ours, the residents were moving so fortunately there wasn't much inside to steal, we called the Sheriff's Dept and they asked us to secure the door the best we could and leave a note for the owner to call and report it. The county seems to spend more money on settling lawsuits incurred by the Sheriff's Department than they do providing services to residents.

I have friends who recently bought a new home in Rancho Cordova (which has it's own police dept.) and they really like it there, but for some reason most people don't like it. I don't know your budget but if you can afford it one of the really nice areas in the unincorporated part of the county is Arden Park, there is an HOA, but part of the dues go toward paying for private security.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
See there, you never thought about it because it always just was. So it might be drastic change moving to one of the placer county cities because in comparison, there is no diversity. If you want suburbia with good schools, variety of different ethnic foods, then Elk Grove really is it. Sac is close by if you can't already find the variety of culture rich stuff in Elk Grove. Mean while if you are in placer county, most would have to drive to sac which is a lot further.

Add Lincoln to that list. We looked there when we moved to Sac and every house we were interested in had mello roos and most had HOA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento