Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 51,730 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where the jewish synagogues are or the jewish community center. We're thinking of relocating to Rocklin or Roseville area, but would like to be by my jewish roots.......Not to sound racist, but we are the only jewish family living in our small town near San Jose........

Also, if anyone knows a good realtor...please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 01:08 PM

406 posts, read 1,592,238 times
Default hope this helps

For what its worth, if you are interested in being active in Jewish life in the Sacramento region, I would probably be looking more at Arden Park, Campus Commons and East Sac rather than Rocklin or Roseville. Most of the Jewish infrastructure in the Sacramento region is concentrated there. I imagine that about 25% of the kids at Rio Americano High School are Jewish - notice the Jewish American Culture Club at the school. In addition the local Jewish School is in that neighborhood.

Newcomer's Page (http://www.jewishsac.org/page.aspx?ID=152215 - broken link)

Rio Americano

Welcome to Shalom School - Where little children get big ideas.

The Jewish community is growing in Placer County because the area is growing so fast, but in terms of infrastructure for jews, it takes a while to get the critical mass to start opening more of that up.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 PM

If you do decide you are interested in the region I was talking about, you might want to contact either Michael or Louise Caplan. They have worked as real estate agents in the area for the past 20 or 30 years and are fairly active in the local Jewish community. I knew there daughter Jenny.

Sierra Oaks Real Estate

Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
There isn't really a distinct Jewish area, but the Jewish community in Sacramento has a long history, dating back to the Gold Rush. Some of Sacramento's oldest and best-known businesses were Jewish owned, like the Weinstock & Lubin department store chain (albeit long since absorbed into Federated/Macy's.) I would agree with the earlier poster that Sacramento, vs. Roseville/Rocklin, might be better choices for places with a more active and visible Jewish community (and more diverse as a whole), and would add Land Park (home of the B'nai Israel synagogue) to the list of potential neighborhoods in Sacramento to investigate.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 PM

31 posts, read 156,781 times
There are synagogues in Sacramento. The Mosaic Law Synagogue is relatively big. There's a Chabad house which is trying to build a larger synagogue and community center but the project seems to be stalled for lack of funds. If I recall correctly, a few years back some synagogues were burned down in anti-Semitic attacks.

There is definitely a Jewish community in Sacramento. I have a friend who is active in it. The State Senator representing Sacramento is even Jewish -- Darrell Steinberg. However, Sacramento is not like Los Angeles where there are hundreds of synagogues.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 PM

115 posts, read 310,075 times
Thanks for this post and all of your info. I am also Jewish and moving to the area. You have all been really helpful!

Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM

I don't know how observant you are, but the local Jewish community just dedicated a new Eruv in the Sacramento area. That part of Arden Park between Arden, Watt, Eastern and Fair Oaks Blvd would be included. News - New boundary opens doors for Arden Arcade Jews - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1182578.html - broken link)

Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 AM

43 posts, read 193,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There isn't really a distinct Jewish area, but the Jewish community in Sacramento has a long history, dating back to the Gold Rush. All of Sacramento's oldest and best-known businesses were Jewish owned, like the Weinstock & Lubin department store chain (albeit long since absorbed into Federated/Macy's.) I would agree with the earlier poster that Sacramento, vs. Roseville/Rocklin, might be better choices for places with a more active and visible Jewish community (and more diverse as a whole), and would add Land Park (home of the B'nai Israel synagogue) to the list of potential neighborhoods in Sacramento to investigate.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 AM

In wburg's defense, I don't believe the Eruv had been established when he made his comments. This is something that has just been announced in that past week or so.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 AM

8 posts, read 51,730 times
Default jews in Sac

thanks for all of your replies....but I have discovered 2 reform synagogues close to Roseville/Rocklin. T'he others that were mentioned were either orthodox (Chabad) or conservative (Mosiac temple). I don't recall the names of the reform temples, but one is in Orangeville and the other is in Carmichael (for those who are interested).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento