Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:46 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,492 times

Advertisements

Well, California made the news again. CNN this time as having 42 levees that are in poor condition and in serious need of repair. How many of these do you think call Sacramento home? I betcha it's half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 12:22 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
It makes me wonder where the state government will operate from in case of major levee failures, and the entire area gets flooded out. I would think that they have some kind of contingency plan in place, like perhaps temporarily relocate to someplace like Auburn, or someplace with a higher elevation.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
It makes me wonder where the state government will operate from in case of major levee failures, and the entire area gets flooded out. I would think that they have some kind of contingency plan in place, like perhaps temporarily relocate to someplace like Auburn, or someplace with a higher elevation.

Good question! Someone ought to ask about the state government's emergency plan because sooner or later they are going to need it.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,492 times
I would think that they have a contingency plan for the unthinkable but perhaps I am giving them too much credit.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
If I was still living here...(just sold my house ) I certainly wouldn't wait around for the state to make contingency plans. Each person has to take care of themselves. Honestly, with the development in my backyard (natomas), I would be surprised if someone doesn't file a class action suit against the developers of the area. I bet that the new development of huge retail at Truxel and 80 wouldn't be too thrilled about that either...

Anyway my two cents..

Old 02-01-2007, 12:45 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
Well, at least they are now trying to do something about it. If it wasn't for Katrina and the tragic levee failure in New Orleans, nothing would have ever been done to fix them. And hate him or love him, Gov. Arnold has spearheaded the move to fix California's failing infrastructure, which also had never been addressed. I guess everyone thought these things would take care of ,or be in good condition forever.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Actually they have been shoring up the levees for many years (doesn't mean it will work). Katrina just put a great big glaring spotlight on inadequate levees bringing the dangers to the forefront that most people never even though twice about.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Good info about Natomas: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/water/archives/cat_flood_control.html (broken link)

Map of potential downtown flooding:
http://www.sacbee.com/static/live/ne...city_flood.PDF

http://dwb.sacbee.com/content/news/projects/flooding/ (broken link)

Here is an article stating all is so much better now due to the levees being fixed. http://www.sacbee.com/220/story/114335.html (broken link)

Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Actually they have been shoring up the levees for many years (doesn't mean it will work). Katrina just put a great big glaring spotlight on inadequate levees bringing the dangers to the forefront that most people never even though twice about.
Yep...I don't remember a year where it rained more than a few heavy days that they weren't down on the delta doing some levee work.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM

58 posts, read 244,492 times
I'm not from the area (moving there in April), so sorry in advance for the ignorance. Sounds like a lot of the developments in the flood-prone areas such as Natomas are new or newer. Does anyone know how or even better, why, the city/county approved such huge developments on those tracts of land? Did they make the developers work in flood drainage or something? Or just the usual too many permits, too much growth, rubber stamp everything too quickly? Wondering if there are other areas they approved that shouldn't have been for any other negative reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento