Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 14,836 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating to the Roseville (Douglas Blvd) area in a few weeks and need to find a house to rent. I've got 2 dogs and a cat and we need a one story house with a small yard, or large patio.

I would prefer to keep my commute at under 30 minutes each way.

I don't know the area too well. Obviously, I'd like someplace safe and perhaps either in a gated community with some amenities or a place that is close to shopping, walking paths, scenic, quiet, that sort of thing.

I'm an avid walker/jogger for exercise and would like to be able to pop out my front door and head off for my daily walk without having to deal with lots of traffic whizzing by me, or having to get in my own car to drive someplace to walk. I also have a bicycle and it would be awesome to be able to ride around or run errands using it instead of my car.

Being close to movie theatres, markets and some cafes would be a plus, or at least within a 10-15 minute drive. Other than my daily walking, I'm pretty much a homebody.

My target rent range is probably around $1200 - $1700 per month.

Any advice on neighborhoods, areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,704,361 times
Rent in Roseville

Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
You could also consider Citrus Heights.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 PM

261 posts, read 1,351,291 times
That price range will get you a good place in Roseville. I just looked at craigslist.com with your price range, and you've got many options. There's one a block away from my house in the Diamond Oaks are on Lily Cross Dr. This is a great neighborhood. Quiet, with some kids playing outside in the evenings. I believe it's ready on Feb 13 or somewhere around there. I don't know about pets, but people all around have pets, and they're not too loud. It's very close to The Fountains and Galleria.

But you have many options in Roseville. So you're golden!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM

Nice to know I should have some good options, thank you so much.

I'll check out craigslist, am a little leery about that, however - you know, the whole meeting someone at a house, etc. Last time I rented a house, I went through a property management company. I won't have anyone that I can take with me to see the properties, that's why I am a little hesitant about Craigslist.

I suppose it's a least a great way to get a feel for prices, etc.

One sort of odd question - what's the cable company in that area? I'm used to Comcast where I live now.

Kids playing in the streets in the evenings, etc. - that sounds nice, actually. My "kid" is 21 now and away at college. I'm a single empty-nester.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Be careful with Craigslist. I would use a property management company, like you suggest in your posting. One problem you can find if not careful is living in a home where the owner stopped making payments and the home is headed towards foreclosure, and you can be evicted without getting your security deposit returned.

Foreclosures put renters on the street - Boston Business Journal:

Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM

261 posts, read 1,351,291 times
I didn't think about craigslist being scary, but I understand now. I have friends who rented houses and had the knock on the door saying they're being evicted. Their landlords didn't even tell them. I think they had to tell the landlords. Anyway, there are a lot of homes that are managed by professional companies on craigslist. Just a good ad tool. The one I was talking about in a good neighborhood is actually a managed by a company.

Here's the link. But take a look because many of them are actually professionally managed homes.

695 Lilly Cross Drive (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/apa/995306914.html - broken link)

Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM

I will check them out. I did a first look on craigslist and there's about 500 listings. I have to wade through them and see.

There was a story about craigslist in the midwest somewhere a few years ago where a young woman went to meet someone about renting a house or a room or something like that and well, it didn't turn out well for her at all. I believe she was murdered.

While that is most likely a very rare thing to happen, it bears thinking about and paying attention.

When I moved to Monterey a few years ago, I sent an email to 3 property management companies that I found online and just laid out my facts - I got one response from an agent and the house he suggested for me turned out to be the one I rented, and I was very happy there for 3 years.
But I already knew that area, and Roseville is somewhere I've never been to, hence my request for advice.

I think I will try the same tactic - I'll try to locate some property management companies and go from there. I'd hate to get all moved in somewhere and have sheriff's deputies come knock on my door and tell me to get out. In today's young-people vernacular - that would really blow.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
That story happened in Minnesota. It's unfortunate, but rare. Actually I think she was responding to a babysitting ad.

Also remember, just because it's a property management company handling the rental doesn't mean the owner is up to date on payments and you can't get evicted.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM

15 posts, read 89,593 times
Roseville is actually a nice area, I don't think you will have too many worries about the neighborhoods in general. Also, Northern citrus heights (95610 zip code) is okay to look around in as well.
Central Roseville is the 95661 zip code and it is an older part of Roseville, but not considered "downtown" and it is a nice area to live in. This area is close to Oakmont High School..... North and South of Cirby Way.
West Roseville has a ton of newer homes out that way and is pretty nice, I would stay North of Baseline.
If you are living in the Eastern part of Roseville and/or heading to Granite Bay towards the lake, that is also nice and in fact has more upper price range homes.... especially the closer you get to Granite Bay. The only place in Roseville I would pretty much not want to live is close to downtown... while it's not very big, the homes are quite older and the area tends to be more commercial with pockets of houses mixed in. Now if you like those older homes then I could see you wanting to live in those parts.....

Now if you are big on walking, I would probably suggest Citrus Heights (95610)/Orangevale and Fair Oaks as those areas have some homes that are in a somewhat rural area where walking can be nice.... The closer you get to the River, the more trails you will be able to find.... but if you are power walking through your neighborhood, then Roseville is a pretty peaceful community (I grew up there and still live pretty close to it).

If you find a house your interested in, let me know the address and I can probably give you some info on the area.... that's my neck of the woods...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento