Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM

67 posts, read 289,673 times

Advertisements

We are looking around, and see what look like nice places in the Antelope area. Right now we rent in Folsom, and we hate to leave. But prices! oy. So can anyone tell me anything about Antelope? Crime? Schools? Shopping? Kids sports?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Here is a ton of information from your host here, good ol' City-Data:

//www.city-data.com/zips/95843.html

Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
There might still be unexploded bombs in the ground from a 1973 munitions train explosion.
The Antelope Community Web - Antelope, California (http://antelope.ca.us/history.php - broken link)

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
If there are any bombs left from that 1973 explosion, they would be along the railroad tracks on the Antelope/Roseville border. Antelope has plenty of areas that would not be affected by any bombs. In the 1990's some bombs were found during construction and were blown up in place. The shock waves felt like mini eathquakes, but there was no reported damage.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 55,124 times
Could someone who lives in Antelope please give me an update to the area. All posts are years old and probably outdated. For instance, is the crime / immigration / businesses growing or going downhill? How is traffic? Gang activities? Do people take pride in thier properties or have 10 broken down cars parked in thier front lawns and taking up parking on the street? How diverse is the area?

I am considerng moving there and really would like some unbias viewpoints.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I always recommend that you drive through the targeted neighborhood at different times of the day, and on weekends to get a feel for the neighborhood. If you can, also take some walks....you see so much more at a slower pace than when in a car.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
There might still be unexploded bombs in the ground from a 1973 munitions train explosion.

Honestly, the last unexploded ordinance was found about 15 years ago when Union Pacific reworked its railyard in the area. The railyard also forms the eastern boundary of Antelope, more or less.

Could someone who lives in Antelope please give me an update to the area. All posts are years old and probably outdated. For instance, is the crime / immigration / businesses growing or going downhill? How is traffic? Gang activities? Do people take pride in thier properties or have 10 broken down cars parked in thier front lawns and taking up parking on the street? How diverse is the area?

I live there. Antelope is still recovering from the Affirmative Action / Easy Credit Lending Bubble of 2006, but then again, isn't the whole Sacramento area. Two or three houses on every street still sit vacant and bank owned, but said houses are being maintained, shown by realtors and visited by prospective buyers. People are trying to fix up the houses they have bought and judging by the county "Parking Enforcement" Prius cars that zip around, derelict cars on the street are not tolerated, although they will sit up on some driveways. Crime is minimal; although annoying "tagging" will show up on some walls, it does get repainted.

The neighborhood is defined by (1) Zip Code 95843, (2) what it is not.

Better school districts, north of Antelope Road, distinctively separate it from North Highlands, either Center Unified (west of Walerga Road), or Roseville school district (east of Walerga Road). The county line separates it from Roseville.

When I first moved here, I liked to think of it as "South Roseville", because prior to building local supermarkets, people went to Roseville to shop, and the local phone company was Roseville Telephone, now Surewest, in those landline, pre cell phone days. Long distance calls to Antelope would and still will show up as "ROSEVILLE" on those phone bills.

Antelope has three significant shopping areas: The Watt and Elverta intersection area to the west, The Elverta and Walerga intersection area in the center, and the "Antelope Bend" (Antelope Road and Roseville Road intersection) to the east. There is a swath of vacant space where Antelope Road intersects with Don Julio Blvd, which I suspect is being set aside for commercial and office development if the economy ever picks up again. Antelope boasts *two* Wal-Marts, one on each flank, for such a small size.

The neighborhood is populated largely by:
(1) economic refugees from the Bay Area seeking affordable homes. It is often an icebreaker to ask the new neighbors what part of San Jose / the Peninsula / East Bay they came from.
(2) There are also many immigrants, largely Slavic and Mexican American, although the Indian grocery shop and Filipino bakery indicate those ethnic populations in the area too.

Which way will the neighborhood go? Perhaps that question can be answered by A Tale Of Two Supermarkets, at the corner of Elverta and Walerga Road. On one side of Elverta is the Bel Air, where you can pay more and get organic produce and more spiffy shelves. On the other side of Elverta is the Winco Foods, which is shabby and seems to be very prole, and where a good many in North Highlands come up to shop.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Antelope is still recovering from the Affirmative Action / Easy Credit Lending Bubble of 2006, but then again, isn't the whole Sacramento area. Two or three houses on every street still sit vacant and bank owned, but said houses are being maintained, shown by realtors and visited by prospective buyers. People are trying to fix up the houses they have bought and judging by the county "Parking Enforcement" Prius cars that zip around, derelict cars on the street are not tolerated, although they will sit up on some driveways. Crime is minimal; although annoying "tagging" will show up on some walls, it does get repainted.
Wow Nick, I'm impressed! what a great summary

Although, I do have to disagree with you concerning the bolded comment. No, the whole Sacramento area isn't still suffering. Folsom has very low inventory and prices are on the increase. Houses are selling for higher than list price. I just saw a listing in Empire Ranch for $231/sq ft! My model has increased by $30-$40k, and I bought 1.5 years ago at the 2003 price. I'm not seeing what you are describing in Folsom.

Now about Antelope, I also looked there when I was house hunting back in 2005 & 2007. And I used to do home visits for my job out there in 2007-2009. And I used to go out to visit other friends weekly out near Antelope Rd. On the surface, the neighborhood looks nice, but looking closer it is definitely fraying on the edges. There is definitely a higher gang (slavic) presence. Here's a crime map CrimeMapper - The Sacramento Bee, Sacramento, California Antelope may be "Roseville South" but by the same token, it is "North Highlands North" and it looks like it. The shopping center at Watt & Elverta - scary at dusk!

Antelope is one of those communities that was promoted (at least by my 1st realtor) as suburban but close to the city core. It's another one of those places that is way the heck out there, especially if you work anywhere on the eastern edge of Sacto region. My coworkers have to leave home at 6 am in order to beat the traffic on surface streets, because there are no direct routes to Rancho Cordova, Folsom or EDH. I remember once (yep the one & only time) I drove from Folsom to Antelope during commute hours. It took me what seemed like forever once I took the Greenback exit to get to one of the newer developments. It is like so many communities in Sacramento, some nice areas, surrounded by not so nice areas. You can get homes for cheaper out there, that's for sure.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 AM

391 posts, read 840,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Now about Antelope, I also looked there when I was house hunting back in 2005 & 2007. And I used to do home visits for my job out there in 2007-2009. And I used to go out to visit other friends weekly out near Antelope Rd. On the surface, the neighborhood looks nice, but looking closer it is definitely fraying on the edges. There is definitely a higher gang (slavic) presence. Here's a crime map CrimeMapper - The Sacramento Bee, Sacramento, California Antelope may be "Roseville South" but by the same token, it is "North Highlands North" and it looks like it. The shopping center at Watt & Elverta - scary at dusk!

Antelope is one of those communities that was promoted (at least by my 1st realtor) as suburban but close to the city core. It's another one of those places that is way the heck out there, especially if you work anywhere on the eastern edge of Sacto region. My coworkers have to leave home at 6 am in order to beat the traffic on surface streets, because there are no direct routes to Rancho Cordova, Folsom or EDH. I remember once (yep the one & only time) I drove from Folsom to Antelope during commute hours. It took me what seemed like forever once I took the Greenback exit to get to one of the newer developments. It is like so many communities in Sacramento, some nice areas, surrounded by not so nice areas. You can get homes for cheaper out there, that's for sure.
LOL at Watt and Elverta being scary. It's the walmart parking lot, they're all scary at night.

I would agree there are a lot nicer places to live for a family. Fair Oaks is an awesome place, but so is Folsom. Antelope is one of those places if you want to live out in the burbs with nothing really around you. I don't see how that community stayed alive after Sprint and MCI left town, I knew a lot of families that use to live there.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
LOL at Watt and Elverta being scary. It's the walmart parking lot, they're all scary at night.

I would agree there are a lot nicer places to live for a family. Fair Oaks is an awesome place, but so is Folsom. Antelope is one of those places if you want to live out in the burbs with nothing really around you. I don't see how that community stayed alive after Sprint and MCI left town and McClelland shut down, I knew a lot of families that use to live there.
I might have the address wrong. I don't remember Walmart at that location. Of perhaps, I was there pre-Walmart. It was a deserted shopping center where Fashion Bug used to be located.

Edit: Ok, just checked it out. It was the same area. 8049 Watt Ave. I guess pre-Walmart. Yea, so Walmart has improved the neighborhood.

How many Walmarts are there in Antelope? Isn't there one off Antelope Rd & Roseville Rd? So...it's a 2 Walmart town...what's the population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento