Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 PM

12 posts, read 42,733 times

Advertisements

Anyone have advice, thoughts on Maria Montessori Charter Academy in Rocklin? I have been researching the school but don't have any reference other than their website.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM

179 posts, read 768,332 times
Wow, I wish I could help you. I just talked to somebody about that school and they said they didn't like it at all. I forget what the issue was, but I feel like it was maybe the discipline they used? I think that the best way to check out a school is to go visit during an open house, ask to see the classrooms, read as MUCH about Montessori as you can. Go visit a couple of private preschools to get more of an education. Read Tomorrow's Child Magazine (AWESOME Mag!). Tour other non-Montessori schools in the area to compare them.

We are attending California Montessori Project in SJUSD coming up this fall. What I saw there was amazing. My philosophy lines up pretty much with what i saw. However, I don't think there is any perfect school. There is always going to be something you disagree with. You just have to make your pro/con list and go from there.

There is also going to be a Community based elementary school opening in Orangevale that may have much lower tuition that most other private Montessori schools in the area. Right now they are infants through 1st grade. It's called Claire's Montessori and I highly recommend it. They are expanding to 8th grade and building a new school across from their current location at the corner of Beech and Oak. Their new facility will be between the church and elementary school. My kids have gone there for years and I can not recommend a better school.

You may also want to visit Granite Bay Montessori. It's not free, but I thought it was a great K-8 school. I've also heard good things about Sundance in Folsom. Again, it's tuition based though.

I'd be happy to private message with you about what I know. I'm very into the pedagogy and will try to give you as much info. as I have.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 26,058 times
I don't know much about Maria Montessori, but if you're looking for a great preschool you should try The Sunflower School in Roseville! It's excellent and the teachers have tons of experience.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times
Mama to three,
what did you think of Granite Bay Montessori?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:29 AM

Mossy, I went into GB Montessori and got an information packet from them and was pretty impressed with what I saw. I haven't toured the school, but I was considering it for K. My daughter has been going to a private Montessori school and we just found out that she got into CMP and I hope I'm making the right choice for her by going charter Montessori vs. keeping her in private Montessori. Have you toured GB Montessori?

I also know that Claire's Montessori is in the process of building a new building across the street from their current location to expand through 8th grade (possibly) and I wouldn't hesitate to send my children to their elementary program (Ms. Sylvia who runs the K program is an AMAZING teacher). The kids currently in K at Claire's are doing exceptionally well and there is a very small teacher:child ratio. The problem is that we have 2 other children and being an at home mom and only 1 salary makes it tough for us to afford tuition.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:26 AM

599 posts, read 1,652,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToThree View Post
Mossy, I went into GB Montessori and got an information packet from them and was pretty impressed with what I saw. I haven't toured the school, but I was considering it for K. My daughter has been going to a private Montessori school and we just found out that she got into CMP and I hope I'm making the right choice for her by going charter Montessori vs. keeping her in private Montessori. Have you toured GB Montessori?

I also know that Claire's Montessori is in the process of building a new building across the street from their current location to expand through 8th grade (possibly) and I wouldn't hesitate to send my children to their elementary program (Ms. Sylvia who runs the K program is an AMAZING teacher). The kids currently in K at Claire's are doing exceptionally well and there is a very small teacher:child ratio. The problem is that we have 2 other children and being an at home mom and only 1 salary makes it tough for us to afford tuition.

When is the school going to be up and running? I heard good things about Claire's and some not so good as well. I am going to be touring GB Montessori next week. I don't know how much their tuition is though? What is CMP program like?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,954 times
I toured Claire's last week for my 2 1/2 year old. She is pretty advanced and I want to make sure she will be challenged. I would love to know anything good or bad that you have heard about the school in general. Thank you!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaxo View Post
I toured Claire's last week for my 2 1/2 year old. She is pretty advanced and I want to make sure she will be challenged. I would love to know anything good or bad that you have heard about the school in general. Thank you!
Claire's is definitely one of the best Montessori schools in the area. Miss Claire is PASSIONATE about the children and her program (even if she seems a little distracted at times). I have had many conversations with her where tears fill her eyes because she truly believes in the Montessori theory and that children should be respected and heard. I toured many, many Montessori and Montesomething schools in the area and bar none, Claire's is second to none. We have been there for 18 months and I have nothing but positive things to say about the teacher's and the different programs available. The teachers are loving and just downright fantastic. Of course, there will ALWAYS be something about every school that bugs you, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I honestly would have to rate Claire's a 9.5. My kids have thrived here and they truly treat you as part of the family, not just a "client". Miss Claire has done so much for my family (and other families) and all of the other families that I have spoken to have nothing but positive things to say about the school. There can sometimes be a waiting list and the turnover rate with students and teachers is VERY low. Most of the children there started in the infant or toddler program and are now in pre-school, pre-k, and kindergarten there!! Families just don't leave.

Mossy, I'd love to hear what negatives you have heard about the school. Like I said, I do have a couple of things that nag me from time to time, but they are very trivial things - i.e. I want to go in a hang out in the a.m. with my daughter for 10 or 15 min., but they like a quick drop off. Honestly, that is what is best for the children because it's less distraction for them. If every parent wanted to just "hang out" in the a.m. it would be a cluster-you-know-what. So, they are doing the right thing and I need to just take a chill pill. Hehehehe...

I'd be happy to discuss more in PM's if you have any specific questions.

As for CMP, from what I have seen in 3 tours and several visits to the school offices, I am extremely impressed. Again, I expect to be disappointed with a few things, but they require a lot of parent participation (it's mandatory and you have to sign a contract) and I definitely plan on being a room parent. The positives I have seen at the Carmichael location are: Good security (all doors are locked by 8:00 am and you have to be buzzed in. They buzz you in within seconds since they have security cameras and a nice big glass window for the office staff to keep an eye on all who enter. All visitors have to first sign in at the office. I like that they have a uniform policy and a no character clothing policy on clothes, shoes, lunch boxes, or backpacks (i.e. Dora, Transformers, Star Wars, blinking shoes, etc.). I like that their kindy program is from 8:30 to 2:00 vs. most public schools that are 8:30 or 9:00 to 12:00 or 12:30. In Montessori, it's imperative that they have at least a 2 hour un-interrupted work period. I think starting 1st grade that goes to a 2.5 hour work period. I like that they incorporate sports, music, art, and use the Rosetta Stone program for 2nd language learning. And most importantly that they are true to the Montessori method and use the proper materials. Their math program is far superior to any public or private school in the area (that could be a whole post in itself). I love how they have taken an old medical/doctor office building and have remodeled it. The rooms are so cozy and set up with nooks for peaceful work periods/quiet reading/etc. I really got a great vibe from the tour I took and our tour guide (the equivalent to the vice principal, I believe). I think her name was Elizabeth? She was down to earth and had a great sense of humor. Oh, and of course they use only positive discipline with the children. You can read about it on their website. I toured several public schools (Orangevale Open, Cambridge Heights Open, Dewey Fundamental) and was HORRIFIED with their discipline (making children sit at a table and put their head down or sitting them on a wall at recess and not letting them participate. Yeah, way to humiliate the child. YIKES!) Also, Montessori (and CMP) believes in intrinsic rewards, not extrinsic. So, you child doesn't get candy or stickers or BRIBED to do something. Their reward is taking pride in a job well done. Of course they are praised from time to time, but it's not over the top. It's just very different than most public schools.

The American River campus had AMAZINGLY beautiful and peaceful classrooms. I know 2 families that attend that campus who have Montessori backgrounds as former Montessori students and that are currently teachers in a local private Montessori school. I feel with their background and knowledge that if they send their children to CMP that it's a good program. I was very, very impressed with my tour of the AR campus.

I recently spoke to Norman Lorenz and really got a feel for what the school is doing and his passion for the Montessori pedagogy and CMP (although he no longer is on the board there). It took a lot of very hard work to get the charter and I feel that with all the research I have done on CMP that it is a wonderful school. I have never been to the Elk Grove campus, but have several friends with kids there and they loooooooove it. I was a little less impressed with the Midtown campus, but it was more about their location than anything. Their classrooms were cozy and quiet and the children looked focused on their work.

What I love most about Montessori is that the children are not chained to a desk and not given a time limit on how long they can work on math, or language, or science. They have the freedom to choose what they want, but in a prepared environment. Montessori is a fabulous way to educate a child and I can't even fathom any other method for my family.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by MamaToThree; 05-05-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the co-director at Claire's (Ms. Sylvia) is a brilliant woman who is very knowledgeable in the Montessori method and I have had many wonderful conversations with her about Alfie Kohn, as well. Great, great woman with a beautiful spirit and soft demeanor. Top notch without a doubt.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM

23 posts, read 144,561 times
What do you think about the baby-room at Claire's? My concern is that the infants are kept in the same room until they are 18 months. Seems like a long time and a big age span.

Is it stimulating enough for the 12+ month olds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento