Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM

10 posts, read 34,617 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've read this group for two years (since I moved here) and there
is always back and forth on this topic.

This is the bottom line from someone who would rather live in
midtown, Davis, Land park etc, but comprised by living in Elk Grove.
I'm pretty matter-of-fact about it.

a) Its the suburbs. Most parts are safe. The West part (Laguna West)
is very very safe. Family oriented, lots of parks, socializing is centered
around your kids.

b) You can get a great micro-location. Many gated communities
with private lakes, private pools, private gyms.
See Stonelake Community Club and www.lakesidehoa.com.
Homes for $300K.

c) The macro location is not good. You will almost certainly have
to commute to work and that means driving (no light rail).

That's it. It doesn't need to get more complicated than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
I disagree. There is almost nothing good about Elk Grove. You may get a bargin bin price for your house but you will waste tons of time/money commuting to work and entertainment unless you think Wal-Mart is the cool thing to do on the weekends.

Even Roseville is smaller and has 10x the jobs and 10x the entertainment/history/shopping.

Folsom has less than 1/2 the population, farther out from the central city, and has more culture/history/entertainment. Better natural beauty too.

Elk Grove grove is the worst kind of suburb. Completely artificial bedroom community and is a disgrace to the community of urban planning.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,584 times
I don't know how this is possible, but I just read both posts and I agree with both of them... with the exception of the blanket statements about commuting to work.

Hesitant to write home about Roseville's "small" size too... spraaawl

Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Elk Grove grove is the worst kind of suburb. Completely artificial bedroom community and is a disgrace to the community of urban planning.
--------------
I agree, only North Natomas is probably worse.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,650 times
Well, there's also the issue that most of Elk Grove is absolutely built like crap, and right next to the ghetto in South Sac.

I'd pay more for a smaller place in Roseville, Rocklin or Folsom before I'd live in Elk Grove. Even West Sac is a better location than Elk Grove... although that's not saying much. I've lived a lot of places - IA, MI, OH, IN, VA and MS - and Sacramento has some of the worst burbs I've seen of any major sized city - comparing it to Indianapolis, Dayton, Columbus, Richmond, DC... just crappy built and full of gangs and drugs. Its amazing.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I disagree. There is almost nothing good about Elk Grove. You may get a bargin bin price for your house but you will waste tons of time/money commuting to work and entertainment unless you think Wal-Mart is the cool thing to do on the weekends.

Even Roseville is smaller and has 10x the jobs and 10x the entertainment/history/shopping.

Folsom has less than 1/2 the population, farther out from the central city, and has more culture/history/entertainment. Better natural beauty too.

I'm torn, I was about to quote the OP and agree, but then I kind of see your logic too. Well here is my take: Elk Grove, is a soccer mom city. The good parts are great places to raise a family, and it has everything you would ever need as far as chain big box stores( Kohl's,Target, Sports Authority,Best Buy,Could go on all day). Now if you want to enjoy history,art,culture, then one question for you. WTF are you doing in Elk Grove.

Is it fair to say Elk Grove is great for a family with young children involved in sports and other kids activities? It is also fair to say it isn't for a 22 year old couple? Two things can be equally true.

Last thing..... drop the commuting B.S. when you grow up in the central valley and see almost everyone you know commuting to the Bay, Elk Grove to Sacto doesn't seem like much.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:15 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,097 times
Elk Grove would be alright if it had more of a buffer from South Sac. It's pretty meh overall. Not the huge ghetto that people portray it to be but it's not that nice of a bedroom community in my opinion if that's what your looking for.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 PM

40 posts, read 219,805 times
I've been looking at the west side of Elk Grove, but man, these home invasions, although rare makes me wonder about the kinds of thugs that frequent the area.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 34,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbrah View Post
I've been looking at the west side of Elk Grove, but man, these home invasions, although rare makes me wonder about the kinds of thugs that frequent the area.
Not sure about the home invasion stuff in west elk grove, but you raise
a point I didn't mention earlier. Many of the homes are part of HOA
which really have claws. This can be a plus or a negative.

The plus is that the HOA dues maintain the
pools, gyms etc and also pay for after-hours private security but they
really have powers. If you don't cut your grass, leave junk out etc
you'll get fined and they can put a lien on your property (it's in the
CCRs of most modern HOA).

Some people don't like this, I didn't at first, but it does maintain
the neighborhood ...

Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,879 times
Angry Elk Grove!

Is getn ghetto, Sac moved south down here now. an *****z frum the bay. west laguna in stonelake is still gud, but laguna creek is hood, old elk grove is hood in parts, my *****z up in rancho grande projectz in elk grove hold in down thoo u feel me. Franklin high area is sum sucka ass *****ztho. shledon coo, montery trails area coo, but my lagooooonza *****z hold it down 4700 on tha map!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento