Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 15,943 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I am planning to buy a house in Elk Grove. I'm currently in Seattle. My reasons are: cheap houses, good school district, lower utilities. I work from home (as long as I have my job) so don't have to worry about the commute for now.
Since the houses are cheap, I have to some what compromise on the 'crime' deal.
Question: How long does it "realistically" take to drive from Elk Grove to Sacramento Downtown?
Crime wise, is it really that bad?
Is it a decent place to raise the kids?
How about community stuff for the kids? park? pools? other recreational activities?
Any nightlife in Elk Grove?
Any diversity in food/restaurants? i love Italian, Indian, Thai, Pakistani, etc...?
Thanks!!
Rex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM

323 posts, read 1,008,312 times
Question: How long does it "realistically" take to drive from Elk Grove to Sacramento Downtown?
During non Commute hours, 15 min. During morning rush hour, up to 40. Same when coming home

Crime wise, is it really that bad?
No

Is it a decent place to raise the kids?
Probably, if you believe the modern suburban lifestyle is good for kids.

How about community stuff for the kids? park? pools? other recreational activities?
Not really. There are some parks, but it seems like playing on the same grass park would get boring to a kid. There is Laguna creek which is actually pretty scenic with lots of birds. That goes right through the middle of the Laguna area.

Any nightlife in Elk Grove?
None.
Any diversity in food/restaurants? i love Italian, Indian, Thai, Pakistani, etc...?
Elk Grove is almost entirely chains. For diversity you have Chili's, Macaroni Grill or Hometown Buffet

Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM

119 posts, read 518,016 times
Using FBI uniform crime statistics, CQ press ranks all cities with more than 75,000 people by violent crime rates. On the most recent ranking Elk Grove was ranked 96th out of 393 cities in that category. Elk Groves ranking was also below the national average. Other cities which were ranked in the survey included Roseville which was ranked 80th (and below the national average) and Sacramento which was ranked 336th (above the national average).

See ranking here.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...e2009_Rank.pdf

and if you have more questions about the process see here.

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2009

So in general while I would say most of Elk Grove is reasonably safe, but its a city of more than 135,000, so there may be some neighborhoods that are less safe. So check any address here before you buy.

Online feature - Crimemapper - sacbee.com

As far as getting to and from downtown Sacramento from Elk Grove it depends a lot on where you live in Elk Grove and where you work downtown. There are two principle freeways that go between Elk Grove and Sacramento, 99 and and Interstate 5. Traffic is much worse on 5 than 99. You might check google maps traffic estimates, but I would assume that you can probably save 5 to 10 minutes on I-5 vs 99 during rush hour. (but it also depends on when you are traveling, I-5 gets backed up later and clears faster than 99, so depending on when you commute the time savings could vary).

Most of the parks in Elk Grove are managed by the Cosumnes Community Services Districts, although the city of Elk Grove is taking a more active involvement going forward. For information see links below.

Cosumnes Community Services District :: Enriching Community - Saving Lives
http://www.elkgrovecity.org/public-i...-08-15a-07.pdf

For restaurants in Elk Grove, see the reviews in yelp. The regions principle asian food/ asian store strip is along Stockton Blvd in South Sacramento. If you are looking for ethnic food you should find plenty of options there (lots of Vietnamese, lots of Chinese, some Korean, Thai and Filipino food (although more of that is off Mack). Also you can find some excellent Mexican food off Franklin in South Sac especially near the Campbell Soup Cannery.

While there are Indian and Pakistani restaurants through out the area, the largest concentrations are going to be found in West Sac, Folsom and South Natomas. For Persian food check out Fulton and Hurley Avenue in Arden Arcade. There is also some excellent Basque restaurants in Lodi, which isn't too far south of Elk Grove.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:50 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
i do not know how some one can say with a straight face, " there is not good rec activities to be had in Elk Grove". Elk grove has a water park, skate parks, tons of dog parks and play grounds, athletic fields, tennis courts, running tracks, etc.

And believe it or not elk grove is not all chains. Just because an establishment is in a strip mall, does not make it a chain. There are plenty of good places to eat in Elk Grove, I found this out once I met some one from there and actually spent some time there.

Schools can range from bad to good. Bad being in the older parts of town, good being in the new "laguna west" elk grove blvd area(ie other side of the town), with a buffer zone of lackluster to mediocore schools in between.

Very diverse city too.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 AM

I spend a lot of time in Elk Grove. I can't think of 5 restaurants that aren't chains, other than a few mediocre Chinese places. Could you list a few good non-chain restaurants in Elk Grove NorCal Dude?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Non Chain Restaurants in Elk Grove:

*Crickets Chirping*

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,698,457 times
I'm from Seattle - Elk Grove is like Lynwood to me, my husband says the suburbish area of Renton.

Elk Grove is lots of yuppie tract homes. Safe for families and kids - but just north of it is South Sac - which is super Ghetto and dangerous.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
I spend a lot of time in Elk Grove. I can't think of 5 restaurants that aren't chains, other than a few mediocre Chinese places. Could you list a few good non-chain restaurants in Elk Grove NorCal Dude?

Well youre lack of ability to "think" of places does not mean they are not there. Regardless of how much "time" you spend in Elk Grove. Any who, my top 5 *non chain* places to eat in Elk Grove, CA:

Daphne's Greek Cafe, Laguna Springs Drive

Fat Mikes Pizza on Grant Line

Shogun Sushi on Stockton Blvd

Big Al's bbq deli on grant line

Obees deli on laguna

Quote:
*Crickets Chirping*
Calm down, at 9am I was at work, and at 9pm I was tending to my wife and child, try to be mature about this.

Last edited by NorCal Dude; 03-16-2010 at 01:21 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,277,077 times
Daphne's is a chain. There are a few Shogun Sushi and Big Al's BBQ but I don't know if those are chains or just different restaurants with the same name.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Daphne's is a chain. There are a few Shogun Sushi and Big Al's BBQ but I don't know if those are chains or just different restaurants with the same name.

Why are you trying so hard to prove the guy wrong, who gives a s**t, it's a SUBURB, do you know what a SUBURB is? It's not downtown San Fransisco, it's Elk Grove. Geeze, you people get what you pay for, you want to live in the valley, but wonder what the art, food, culture scene is like. I repeat it's ELK GROVE.

Look, if you want to live in a city with some nice tract home neighborhoods, go to Elk Grove. If you want somewhat safe areas, and every major store you could ever think of, go to Elk Grove. If you want to live 15-30 min from the capital of California, go to Elk Grove. If you want culture,arts,and hole in the wall restraunts that charge 25 dollars for a water, then live 15-30 minutes north and don't complain about the extra cost.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it's Elk Grove people, it's not going to be more than what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento