Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 AM

73 posts, read 319,056 times

Advertisements

I mentioned earlier that diversity is severely lacking here in OR, but I don't think I offered enough perspective. It's lacking in comparison to other parts of the country, but it's not absent. For example, here in Salem there's a significant Hispanic community, mostly from Mexico (but not all!) and thus far they're the most welcoming and engaging people I've met in OR. I've been invited to a winery, to a concert, to hang out with them and their friends and family--I've found them to be especially inclusive, and not standoffish. (Now I do hear that in Hillsboro and Troutdale, there's more gang activity bubbling up from Mexicans transplanted from California, but I haven't observed any issues with that here.)

The second most friendliest people I've come across in Salem are the Vietnamese. There are several Vietnamese groceries and restaurants here, as well as a Laotian one. They'll take the time to show you how to cook the soup you've always wanted to make at home (pho) and how to make that amazing sweet black rice dessert and how to use their cooking implements and make their sauces, etc. Very, very sweet people.

Both of these groups are rather shy--they won't share their culture with you unless you ask, but all it takes is one question (Which part of Mexico are you from? or How do I make this kind of rice?) and BAM! What do you know? You've tapped into the hidden cultural diversity of Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 AM

5 posts, read 18,881 times
Wow
The last two post are something to think about, may God be with you.

NightBazaar, Krystle and Silverfall you've been most helpful in giving me the an idea of the type of people familar with the area. I appreciate your honesty and grace! Sometimes it is difficult understanding the mentality of a region but forums like these help paint a clear description of a writers thought pattern. The information you all have provided has given me some things to research, as far as continuing education.

BTW.... my concerns about diversity were more a long the lines of ....DO I have to worry about burning crossess on my front lawn? I have traveled all over this world and by the Grace of God I have been so blessed wherever I have gone. I was nervous when I first went to Germany and even Serbia but everyone I was in close contact with was so good natured and hospitable. Maybe intolerance is everywhere but I just wanted a general idea of this place. If one of you wud say sure come to Salem we're a hedonistic city, well I would know Salem is NOT for me.....so you see some of you have been so helpful with clearing that up for me.

Thanks again

Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
LOL! Well, I can’t say I’ve heard about any cross burnings in Salem front lawns lately. You have nothing to worry about. However, since you mentioned considering relocating, I’d recommend visiting for a while first to look around for yourself to determine if the city is one you feel comfortable with and to examine work opportunities. But that’s just common sense which I think you probably agree.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 18,881 times
NightBazaar
We are on the same page. Try to understand I just thought I would get use out of this forum, take the opportunity to discuss with unbiased people. As I mentioned earlier in post if I judge Salem on the majority of the responses I received here then I could smile at the presumption that there are pretty level-headed individuals there. You have been most kind.

I am an organizer so I like to think about things and I want to get as much information as I can. I wasn't thinking about moving there tomorrow! I was just thinking. I also have some other plans in the works currently and in order for me to maximize the benefits I probably need to stay here for atleast 3years so I was just considering all the possibilites.

I may make a visit around Winter if I haven't found another ideal settling ground. Well again everyone thank you for your feedback!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 57,103 times
Smile Hi

As a Woman, who lives in a Bi-Racial world, meaning my family... Oregon is by all means, very open minded and culturally diverse. I have seen nothing in the ways of Ratial issues or comments from anyone. I am from Texas, and used to the prejudice and all,, As far as that is concerned , Salem is awesome, as well, it is a big city with a Small town feel...
I think you will enjoy it, very much... Good Luck,

Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 25,621 times
Scorpianic, I think it's odd that you would be inquiring about the diversity of Salem OR, when your location is Buffalo Grove IL. I know BG, it's not diverse at all, it has a large Jewish population, and million dollar homes. Obviously, you're doing fine there.
I lived in Portland for a few years, and I've also lived in Mundelein, IL (worked in BG)for a long time. Trust me, you'll like Portland/Salem and you won't feel out of place because of your race. People in OR were friendly and laid back. It's a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem