Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,297 times

Advertisements

My husband is strongly considering a job that would move us to SLC. The office is in Draper. We have two young kids who will be starting school in the next two years, so a communtiy with good schools is important. Also, we are not LDS - big deal or no? I have not the first clue about what good suburbs/areas to be in are. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
It isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be if you are not LDS. We are not and my children get along just fine and have many friends that are both LDS and not.

Draper is a nice area. It has a HUGE catholic campus that holds elementary through high school grades, if you are interested in private school. It really would depend on your budget though, as to where the areas that would best suit you.

My family and I have lived here 16 years and we are never leaving. Good luck to you!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Draper is nice, a little overpriced still in my opinion but nice. Just north a bit is Sandy which is also nice and a "larger" city. (88k vs. Draper at 25k) The whole valley kind of blends together so it is not like the cities are far apart.

I live to the west of Draper and Sandy in South Jordan in the Daybreak community. We love the schools here, the K and 1st teachers have been great. This is a great area for kids with parks, a lake, pools and a ton of fun stuff to do (for free).

The LDS "thing" is a non-issue here.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I moved here from Oxford, MS. You are going to LOVE the weather. They think they have high humidity when it gets around 35-40%. "Heavy" rain is 1/2 inch per day. I worried about the snow but there is relatively little ice and the cities do a great job of plowing the streets.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I moved here from Oxford, MS. You are going to LOVE the weather. They think they have high humidity when it gets around 35-40%. "Heavy" rain is 1/2 inch per day. I worried about the snow but there is relatively little ice and the cities do a great job of plowing the streets.
I don't know, I was missing Orlando this morning, waiting for the bus in 10 degree weather. :/

Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM

226 posts, read 567,630 times
I was in Washington D.C. last August. When I came home to Salt Lake I overhead a conversation in the dentist's office about how horribly muggy it was in Salt Lake that day. Because I had just been in real humidity I guess the incident in the dentist's office got my attention and stuck in my memory. The humidity that "horribly muggy" day was 28% - just after an afternoon thunderstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area