Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,175 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are a married interracial couple (I'm white, she's black) who recently relocated to SLC. I grew up in Utah but have been away for the last 16 years. She has never lived here before. We are educated professionals with liberal political views, are not LDS, and have no children. Thus on several fronts we don't "fit in" to the local culture.

I don’t think that, overall, Utahns are any more racist than any other part of the country. However, they have little to no experience with non-white/non-LDS people. We do get a lot of stares when we are out in public, and the occasional sour look. I won’t lie, the lack of diversity is already starting to get to my wife. If we could meet people in a similar situation (or at least open-minded and accepting) it would make the transition to this new culture a whole lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 133,583 times
Interesting.

Some people don't like Utah because it's too diverse; then I read that where I live (West Valley City) is dangerous because it has so many immigrants.

But my coworker's husband is Haitian. She hasn't mentioned any problems. But she lives on the dangerous, disreputable West Side.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrandil View Post
Hi all, my wife and I are a married interracial couple (I'm white, she's black) who recently relocated to SLC. I grew up in Utah but have been away for the last 16 years. She has never lived here before. We are educated professionals with liberal political views, are not LDS, and have no children. Thus on several fronts we don't "fit in" to the local culture.

I don’t think that, overall, Utahns are any more racist than any other part of the country. However, they have little to no experience with non-white/non-LDS people. We do get a lot of stares when we are out in public, and the occasional sour look. I won’t lie, the lack of diversity is already starting to get to my wife. If we could meet people in a similar situation (or at least open-minded and accepting) it would make the transition to this new culture a whole lot easier.
My husband has a black friend and former co-worker ("former," because my husband is retired) who is married to a white woman. They are not LDS. They are originally from St. Louis but have been here for something like 25 years. It's a second marriage for them, and they have no children here in Utah. They have been very happy here. The man is going to be retiring soon and they're still undecided as to whether to move back to St. Louis or stay here in Salt Lake City.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 PM

313 posts, read 778,314 times
I wouldn't know what specifics to offer without making stereotypical assumptions, but social functions in Salt Lake City will have more liberal minded people. Perhaps finding a group that participates in a favorite hobby or social cause will introduce you to more people. I think this state is a bigger culture shock for black women than black men. Even though the percentage of African-Americans here is small it is predominantly male, and even the amongst the total of black women it's heavily young with one white parent.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
I'm sorry you are getting not so nice looks. =( I have numerous mixed race friends. White wife, African American hubby, white wife, Hispanic hubby, Hispanic wife, white hubby. If you did have kids I'd PM you the Mom's group I'm on that is great!

Though, as you mentioned, some people here perhaps have not seen many mixed race couples so they stare maybe out of curiousity?? I am seeing many families that are adopting African babies/kids, so, hopefully it will be more commonplace soon. =)

Good luck to you! =)

Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Look on www.meetup.com to find an activity you would enjoy. Having friends and things to do make folks feel more a part of the community.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 PM

313 posts, read 778,314 times
A lot of people assuming that the black person they know is happy as a clam. lol

Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
A lot of people assuming that the black person they know is happy as a clam. lol
I'm trying to figure out what prompted this statement or whose comments you were addressing. Would you mind clarifying?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
For me, personally, in Utah, I am friends w/ 1 African American person, who is male. I hope to meet more. I was friends w/ many in Ohio. There are more of Hispanic descent here, & I am friends w/ more of them here than I was in Ohio. FWIW, the male I am friends w/, we are candid, neither he, nor his wife has expressed racism/oppression.

I can imagine not being or looking the 'same' as 'everyone else' is intimidating. It might be the case anywhere. I, myself, felt 'out of place' in Memphis, when we visited, as, it is predominately African American.

I sometimes just wish everyone was colorblind. But, that is me. I'm, I guess, an idealist, a glass 1/2 full. Rosy colored glasses. lol

Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 AM

90 posts, read 203,095 times
I am also in an inter-racial marriage. I'm Korean and my husband is Caucasion. We have always gotten stares, but we don't really care. I think it's more curiousity more than anything. We also just have 1 daughter which does not fit the mold here. We are not LDS either. We've been here in SLC since May, moved from Arizona. So far I have only had one run in that wasn't very pleasant with an LDS mother.

I would happy to meet you. We are always looking to meet new people to hang out with. We are actively searching for a good sitter so we can have more adult time as well.

Feel free to send me a personal message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area