Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM

62 posts, read 201,258 times

Advertisements

Hi skibarbie,

I'm sure looking forward to this winter and I hope it is the best one of my life! As far as the boots, I've had them for years (Nordica "The Beast" 2002-2003 model,) bought them in Vermont, and after several hundred dollars of fittings, adjustments, and orthotic devices, they're very comfortable. The only thing I do each season is to replace the front and rear sole plates due to their wear from walking around (I tend to forget my "cat-tracks" sometimes and as "Murphy's Law" would have it, those are the days I had to do plenty of walking.) If Ski'n'see doesn't work out, I'll let you know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Hmmm. I thought the last ski season just barely ended. Wasn't Snowbird still open on the July 4th weekend?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM

39 posts, read 80,107 times
I'm looking at what days to take off work so I can have 4 or 5 days to go skiing

For all the skiers here, what is usually the best time snow quality wise to go skiing in Utah?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,387,079 times
Quick response:

I just wait for a powder day and then take off a day for work.

Typically, though Nov/Dec can be pretty low-coverage. Late Jan/Feb/March can be pretty great in terms of coverage and chance for a powder day.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks, I want to take off a chunk of vacation so I need to book that in advance. From what you said I might hold off until Feb/March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Quick response:

I just wait for a powder day and then take off a day for work.

Typically, though Nov/Dec can be pretty low-coverage. Late Jan/Feb/March can be pretty great in terms of coverage and chance for a powder day.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,077,688 times
Come in early February so you can miss the Presidents Week skiers. Spring break crowds right after that massive week and spring break lasts til Easter and after.
Last November was some of the deepest snow I have ever been in and with another La Nina year in the forecast, who knows.
Look for the Sundance Film Festival dates as that can be a great time to ski at the PC resorts if you can find lodging up there. You will have to fight the crowds in town and probably will have a hard time getting into restaurants but it can be a fun atmosphere too.
January is the coldest month and March is the snowiest-on average...

Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the tip skibarbie I wont be at PC this year - it will be solitude all season for me - Ive spent all my money on the season passes for the whole family so no money left for the other resorts... Im not complaining though

So being a solitude regular skibarbie, does it get "crowded" there or too busy at the busy times you mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
Come in early February so you can miss the Presidents Week skiers. Spring break crowds right after that massive week and spring break lasts til Easter and after.
Last November was some of the deepest snow I have ever been in and with another La Nina year in the forecast, who knows.
Look for the Sundance Film Festival dates as that can be a great time to ski at the PC resorts if you can find lodging up there. You will have to fight the crowds in town and probably will have a hard time getting into restaurants but it can be a fun atmosphere too.
January is the coldest month and March is the snowiest-on average...

Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM

835 posts, read 2,077,688 times
Just Presidents week and MLK weekend in January can be nutsy too. About the only time that I have seen the parking lot crazy is Christmas which I know you will avoid, and when it is puking snow and LCC is closed for avalanche work.
One other thing to keep in mind, the sheriff is super serious about the Chains/AWD restriction. They are sitting at the mouth of both BC and LC canyons and will turn you around so quick your head will spin. The AWD also is required to have at least 2 snow tires,,,,and if they are feeling grumpy, they check that too..

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
About the only time that I have seen the parking lot crazy is Christmas which I know you will avoid,
Are you kidding me?? I have 4 days off straight at Christmas... Im going to be up there all 4!! lol.

Quote:
...the sheriff is super serious about the Chains/AWD restriction. They are sitting at the mouth of both BC and LC canyons and will turn you around so quick your head will spin. The AWD also is required to have at least 2 snow tires,,,,and if they are feeling grumpy, they check that too..
Yes this skiing hobby has cost me a lot of money As well as moving here recently from Australia, Ive had to buy ski equimpment for the 4 ppl, lessons, season passes, an AWD and now Ive got to get snow tires! haha . so worth it though

Old 10-12-2011, 09:46 AM

325 posts, read 963,956 times
Quote:
Just Presidents week and MLK weekend in January can be nutsy too. About the only time that I have seen the parking lot crazy is Christmas which I know you will avoid, and when it is puking snow and LCC is closed for avalanche work.
One other thing to keep in mind, the sheriff is super serious about the Chains/AWD restriction. They are sitting at the mouth of both BC and LC canyons and will turn you around so quick your head will spin. The AWD also is required to have at least 2 snow tires,,,,and if they are feeling grumpy, they check that too..
Those weeks are a perfect time to try out the Ogden Valley ski areas. Snowbasin and especially Powder Mountain won't be overrun with crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area