Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 PM

9 posts, read 37,524 times

Advertisements

so can anyone explain where point of the mountain, spaghetti bowl and north interchange is? I hear that on the radio and have no clue where they are talking about!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,618,548 times
Point of the mountain is just that.....the place where the south end of Salt Lake County meets the north end of Utah county. The southernmost city in Salt Lake county along I-15 is Bluffdale, the northernmost city in Utah county along I-15 is Highland I think....or it could be Cedar Hills or Alpine. The point of the mountain is also a known place of possible bad weather (blowing snow, strong winds).

The spaghetti bowl, is the area where I-15, I-80 and Highway 201 intersect with various collectors and on/off ramps. Interstate 15 went through a major reconstruction to prepare for the winter olympics of 2002. It was in need of repair/revamping anyway. The olypmics just gave us federal funding to help with the cost. During the reconstruction, I think some of those ramps were reconfigured.

The north interchange is where Interstate 215 intersects with Interstate 15 at the north end of the Salt Lake Valley.

Here's a map of the Salt Lake valley showing some major roads. Use the arrows and zoom features on the Google map to look around.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Random questions about Utah-point-mountain.jpg  

Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM

9 posts, read 37,524 times
Thank you eggalegga. That was very helpful. I am trying to learn SLC.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:31 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,618,548 times
Glad to be helpful.

I have a hard time navigating the roads when traveling to other states. I'm used to the grid system and all the numbered streets. My confusion occurs mostly when addresses contain south greater than 100,000. For example 10600 south. As you mentioned, we locals refer to it as 106th south. But what if the address is really a downtown address at 106 south? I think it's the "th" that is the key to clarification in that example. But sometimes the "th" is hard to hear if someone is speaking the address.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,721 times
So Okie girl, what part of Oklahoma are you from? I grew up around the Tulsa area most of my life.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinSL View Post
Thank you all for your posts, it has really helped me out especially on the grid system, I have never heard of a town doing a grid system from a central point but I guess that's what happens when you live in one town all of your life.
Many cities do this. Denver is another example. Denver and Minneapolis both have streets in alphabetical order. It takes a while to figure all this out though. Everyplace does it just a little bit differently, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area