Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 07:05 PM

39 posts, read 176,677 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone

My husband and I are looking for a nice quiet town to retire in with no colleges if possible.

Thank you for your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 AM

23 posts, read 63,529 times
Default Hope you find a home

How quiet and how little do you want, because Utah has them all. Lots of folks move to the country thinking it would be nice to live somewhere quite. But after a while they find country life is quite, they miss the city, so be careful on what you wish for…

Utah has the most remote type of towns that you could find anywhere... if you truly want to get away, but i like being in the middle somewhere. I live in Mt. Pleasant, in the center of the state which isn’t all that remote, but it might seem like it is to someone from your location. The reason I moved here is because I have found I don’t like the hustle and bustle of the city, so I don’t live there, and I don’t care to be a ski bum, so I wouldn’t like living up by Park City. But I don’t want to be so far away from the city that driving there becomes an all day event ether. So Mt. Pleasant fit’s the bill for me nicely. I like to say, “Mt. Pleasant is far enough away, but close enough too“… meaning close to a big city (Provo), if I need one.

But the other deciding factor for picking a place to live in Utah, isn’t always just the size of the town, it’s the towns geographic location as well. Utah offers almost all choices possible in this category. You can choose from an alpine area, clear down to a desert one, and everything in between if you wish. In my area we can get snow (our elevation is 6000 feet), early in the fall and late into the spring… we just had our first snowfall on the 13th of this month. Most years we only get half dozen big snow events, which I don’t mind at all. Salt Lake on the other hand gets much more perception than we do all during year, but there perception is mostly in the form of rain. It does snow there so don't get me wrong, in fact most of the state gets snow, and quite a lot of it at times! But for the most part we all manage quite well.

All in all Utah is a great place to live. Most folks here have good moral standards. There is also enough to do here to keep you interested all year long.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

Hobo2

PS. Let me know which town you decided on moving to OK?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 33,487 times
Default St George, Utah (Great Retirement)

If you want to retire where it is pleasant 10 months out of the year with 2 months a little hot, then the St George Area is your best option in Utah. Ivins, which is close to St George is also nice, it is close to Snow Canyon State Park, which is beautiful year round with a nice bike path paved throughout the park. St George has a ton of golfing, skiing at Brianhead is not too far away, Las Vegas is 1hr 45 minutes, Mesquite, Nevada is 35 minutes, Salt Lake is around 3.5 hours.

Moab is also another option, very pleasant weather year round, a ton of national/state parks close by, great biking areas, the colorado river flows through town (housing is tough to find, and expensive). Moab is close to GrandJunction Colorado, which has more flights in/out than Moab & St George, and has great wineries and fruit farms throughout.

Outside of that, we have Park City, typical resort town, but very nice (expensive housing). Heber City, is a sleepy mountain valley town, about 25 minutes from Park City with semi affordable housing, close to Salt Lake City & Provo. If you do not mind the cold, and want to have an affordable lake view home that is close to skiing but VERY quiet town, then you might want to consider Garden City, Utah; which is on Bear Lake, which is one of the nicer lakes in Utah and also pretty big too.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,443,466 times
Alta, Utah. Great Mountains and only minutes to SLC.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 11,245 times
Default Do some research

Provo has a median age of 22.9 and geard for full nesters not empty nesters. See the worst places to retire and Provo comes up.
Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area