Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,765,471 times

Advertisements

The folks on Facebook are just people that have FACED the reality of how toxic living in Northern Utah actually IS. They aren't the ostriches with their heads stuck deep in the sand talking about how perfect living in a toxic wasted dump is as so many love to report. Their Pollyanna attitudes won't get them far beyond a case of cancer if they persist in ignoring the truth of the corporations and government that fosters all of this here.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM

479 posts, read 1,015,784 times
Utah leaders to blame for effects of pollution :: The Salt Lake Tribune

Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,475,331 times
I was not aware of this lawsuit, was anybody else?

Quote:
WildEarth Guardians, Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment and Utah Moms for Clean Air filed suit Monday in U.S. District Court for Utah. At issue are what the suit claims are ongoing violations of the federal Clean Air Act at Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Copper Mine.
Environmentalists sue Kennecott over dirty air | ksl.com

Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM

479 posts, read 1,015,784 times
My view: Mixed messages about air quality | Deseret News

Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 AM

762 posts, read 2,119,910 times
Not to rain on anybody's paranoid delusions of victimization, but the air quality isn't really getting any worse in the SL valley. And it's not really getting any better. Inversions are too dependent on weather patterns, which obviously change every year, and colder winters and/or more snow will equal more inversions.

Historically this winter is just slightly on the "bad" end of the spectrum with 22 "unhealthy" days. But last year tied for the best (i.e. cleanest) air year since PM2.5 started being measured in 2000, with only 2 "unhealthy" days. If we have a warmer, milder winter next year, we'll have cleaner air than if we have a rough winter. (See: http://www.airmonitoring.utah.gov/da...urnsummary.pdf)

Yes, we should do our best to not contribute to pollution. Yes, industry should be more tightly controlled and regulated in this state. Yes, the governor should be doing a lot more. But to catastrophize an entire region because of 2 or even 22 days out of 365, to allow 2 or even 22 days to overshadow the benefits of the area, to let less than 10% of the year (at the most!) determine where you spend the other 90% of your time... is amusingly alarmist.

And just to deal with this before dcisive chimes in, I don't have my head in the sand. I work for a health-related nonprofit that monitors air quality. I look at the numbers EVERY day. This year was unpleasant, yes, more unpleasant than I'd like. But last year was great. And next year, when those who are considering a move here actually ARE here? Well, it could go either way; it's the risk you take with weather and geography, not unlike earthquakes in CA or hurricanes on the east coast or tornados in the midwest.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Well since I've been labeled "Mr. Gloom and Doom" around here I'll just say that if one wishes to make their living decisions based on weather patterns good luck with that. Air quality is just about NEVER "good" it's tolerable perhaps at best. Those that move here at this point will be making a conscious decision to compromise their health to be in a place where they have a perception of being close to much of what they want. I wish in my case it was as much or more so an "option" to make that decision to leave. I would still urge anyone thinking about making the move here to look at the BIG picture. The "culture", commute/driving experience and the health risks (look at cancer charts for the area). If you still want to come it's your choice indeed

Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM

229 posts, read 565,748 times
Zion, it seems to me that the issue is worse than just a few days of bad air. Have you read some of those posts on that facebook group that was started for people who have moved from or are planning to move from the area because of the air quality issue? I don't believe these people are all leaving based on hype or exaggeration??

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM

I'm glad some folks can see through this veil

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM

835 posts, read 2,077,822 times
I think it's good news that people are leaving the valley and that others are changing their minds about moving here due to air quality! The less people that are here the better off we all are.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 AM

229 posts, read 565,748 times
skibarbie, if I moved up there, I wouldn't be adding much to the pollution as far as driving goes. Work at home so my driving is very limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area