Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays to you, cinnabon. I found this through wikipedia:
Quote:
Each of the Midland cities -- Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City -- has its own local character.
from this:
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...tionalMap.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,280 times
yes i hope so

Old 12-25-2007, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,280 times
Default people

hi hello hello

Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 33,966 times
49% of the population is Mormon, 51% is not. You find what you want, and who yo uwant to "hang" with- just like anywhere else in the country. I do have to say, it was not easy to find a good church, because we were not looking for LDS. If you look hard enough, you can find what you want though My kids hang with some of the Mormon kids- and they are honestly a great bunch of friends to have. Doesn't mean we would convert, but then again, I bet they wont either

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 78,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2UtahfromNJ View Post
It hurts to hear that you think NJ people are rude. I am not rude whatsoever and I take offense to that. I can say that I have been living in Utah for about six months and if you think that people are nicer here than you are kidding yourself. Utah drivers are rude, they dont let you in the lane. I have held doors for many people who do not say thank you b/c they are to wrapped up in talking on their cell phones or talking to the person they are with. Rude people are everywhere, not just NJ or Philly. I think in general all people are rude. It's all how you are brought up.
i've lived in slc for 3 years from cali. i thought people would be nicer here. your right. they're not. i went to nyc and cooperstown last summer for 2 weeks. i thought the people were awesome. i like people that will talk to you and not be afraid of you because of your religion. people here keep to themselves to much.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 78,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
How Mormon is salt lake city? Are things to do mostly biblically based christian things? Are there bars and clubs? Or just prayer groups?
you can have a lot of fun here. i grew up in cali. been here 3 years. have had more fun here than cali. get some good friends that drink and you are good to go.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 67,562 times
Utah is changed alot. Sugarhouse.. Millcreek in General all of SLC is a big combo of everyone and everything. We have got everything from Blues and Jazz clubs to Rock and Punk.. Gay and Lesbian clubs.. plus its a great place to raise kids.. the communities are awesome.. and you can find almost everything to fall inline with what you are looking for.. I love Utah..

Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,799 times
i haven't frequented nj enough to comment on personality traits--only been through the airport and the air force base. but, i truly believe that there are rude people and nice people in every community, just as there are ignorant people and smart people, tolerant and intolerant, etc. that's one of the doctrines i live by.

if you are sensitive to rude people, you're going to find them. no matter where you are. if you are too self-conscious of the fact that you don't fit in, then you won't fit in. if you go into an area with the idea that you can fit in, even if you are a different skin color, religion, political party, etc, then you will almost automatically find a nitch to fill. and generally it will be a likeable nitch, a decent place, with decent friends, a decent job, etc. there are obvious exceptions to that general rule, i realize. but as far as i am aware, there are no anti-mormon lynch mobs, or discotheques that cater only to the institute crowd (now there's a laughable idea), etc. life is what you make of it, and what you make of it depends on how you see it, and what you look for.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times
It's very true. It's like people in Utah are in their own little world. I haven't met many of the party people who are loving the "eclectic" scene in SL though I have no doubt that somewhere out there these people must exist and it must just be me looking for harsh, frowny sullen people everywhere I go. I've been judged more by strangers here than in any other place I've ever lived. I work at the airport and spend my entire day surrounded by people who are either going away from or arriving in Utah. A lot of the people I interact with who are from Utah are rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdog View Post
i've lived in slc for 3 years from cali. i thought people would be nicer here. your right. they're not....people here keep to themselves to much.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM

139 posts, read 502,011 times
Default Sort of a silly question....

SLC is a metro area of over 1 million people. There are nightclubs, world class museums, universities, performing arts, professional sports, and incredible access to some of the most spectacular outdoor activities in the US.

Must one be LDS to enjoy any of these things? Obviously not.

Sure, Utah has an LDS culture to it, particularly in the suburbs or in the smaller towns, however, that's just the way it is. If you are friendly, friendliness will be returned to you. Don't sweat it.

Come to Utah, enjoy it for what it is. With over a million people in the SLC area, you're bound to find your niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area