Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 AM

427 posts, read 1,305,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Poulos View Post
By the way, Mom was Mormon (non practicing) Dad was Greek orthodox, first wife catholic, second wife Babptist and I'm confused.
I can see why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,575 times
We were pretty concerned about moving to such a religious state but we've lived here for about 7-8 months now and we love it! Like many people said before, people are very nice here and no one has pushed their belief on us yet. I know most of our immediate neighbors are LDS and they might/will ask you if you're LDS when you meet them for the first time but even after we told them we're not they have been extremely nice and helpful. We have an LDS bishop right across the street and we asked if one of his (many) daughters could watch our animals when we went on a trip this summer and that was no problem whatsoever.

There are also a lot of non-LDS in the community and it's easy to bond with them because you already have the non-LDS in common.

The thing that bothers me the most is the church sticking its nose into politics. Separation of church and state is virtually non-existent here and it bothers me greatly that they get to NOT pay taxes while they seemingly have a veto vote on any decisions the state legislature makes.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
We were pretty concerned about moving to such a religious state but we've lived here for about 7-8 months now and we love it! Like many people said before, people are very nice here and no one has pushed their belief on us yet. I know most of our immediate neighbors are LDS and they might/will ask you if you're LDS when you meet them for the first time but even after we told them we're not they have been extremely nice and helpful. We have an LDS bishop right across the street and we asked if one of his (many) daughters could watch our animals when we went on a trip this summer and that was no problem whatsoever.

There are also a lot of non-LDS in the community and it's easy to bond with them because you already have the non-LDS in common.
I'm glad your experience so far has been a positive one!

Quote:
The thing that bothers me the most is the church sticking its nose into politics. Separation of church and state is virtually non-existent here and it bothers me greatly that they get to NOT pay taxes while they seemingly have a veto vote on any decisions the state legislature makes.
Actually, the "Church" itself has no veto vote or any such thing. It's just that such a high percentage of the legislature is LDS and they tend to vote very conservatively. The Church never endorses a specific candidate or even a specific party, but it does (unfortunately, in my opinion) get involved in political issues that it perceives as having revelance to the moral fabric of society (such as same-sex marriage). As a Mormon, I really do wish the Church would not get involved in such matters. I'd go so far as to say that I am very much opposed to its involvement. But I do think it's important for people to understand that there is literally no such thing as the Church being actually able to veto a bill the legislature passed or putting into law something the legislature voted down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area