Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,942,330 times

Advertisements

What's the team that plays in the new stadium in Sandy? The one that cost us who-knows-how much to build and was some sort of scandal for a while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,382,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
You haven't gone to see a Grizzlies game?? It is actually ECHL. Gotta see a game!!

utahgrizzlies.com: Home
The Grizzlies are in the East Coast Hockey League....yeah, that makes sense. ahahahaha

Actually, it does because the ECHL is a combo of two other leagues and one folded into the other. Utah is in the mountain league of the ECHL. What did we ever do before google? Utah feeds into the Calgary Flame.

If I lived in Salt Lake City or elsewhere in Utah I probably would have seen them play. My local team is The Dallas Stars. But my heart belongs to The Chicago Blackhawks.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,987,446 times
Well, dur..I just noticed that you don't live here in UT. As much as I like watching the Grizz, my heart belongs to the Flyers.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,987,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
What's the team that plays in the new stadium in Sandy? The one that cost us who-knows-how much to build and was some sort of scandal for a while?
That would be Major League Soccer...Real Salt Lake.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,468,056 times
I don't see SLC being able to support an NFL team, but NHL maybe. I would love it, I plan on moving to SLC next year and if they had an NHL team that would be sweet. I think they would do better than about 10 current cities that have a team.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,262,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There was no scandal, just the County saying no then yes then no on public funding only to have the Gov come in and make them pay.

It only seats 21,000 though, probably good enough for the Cardinals or Jaguars but not enough for a regular NFL team.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,781,168 times
I'm about as interested in soccer as stepping in dog poo. I wouldn't have spent 2 cents to build that stadium frankly, and certainly NOT tax dollars. They keep yelling about too few dollars for the schools as it is. NFL football would be infinitely more interesting to ME, but I'm sure with all the soccer moms out there I'm by far in the minority, nothing new there, I'm used to it ;-)

Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM

973 posts, read 2,146,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
the ECHL is a combo of two other leagues and one folded into the other. Utah is in the mountain league of the ECHL. What did we ever do before google? Utah feeds into the Calgary Flame.
Just wish the Grizz played the eastern teams during the year as well as the west. Hubby is from near Wheeling, & we rooted for & saw some Wheeling Nailers games (yes, 'great name' lol) . Minor league hockey is so fun! Of course, our pro team is the Pittsburgh Penguins! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'm about as interested in soccer as stepping in dog poo. I wouldn't have spent 2 cents to build that stadium frankly, and certainly NOT tax dollars. They keep yelling about too few dollars for the schools as it is. NFL football would be infinitely more interesting to ME, but I'm sure with all the soccer moms out there I'm by far in the minority, nothing new there, I'm used to it ;-)
Ha ha, I suppose I'd be considered a 'soccer mom'. Though, I agree w/ you, I don't care about MLS at all. We love the NFL in our house, the Steelers. I just don't know how well an NFL team would fare here w/ the Sunday games & all. Starting times would be either 11am or 2pm MST. Not very conducive to many who live out here. But, that is JMHO.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM

99 posts, read 251,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
(Portland is larger than Atlanta, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Miami, Oakland,etc.)
Ok, I've been to Atlanta, and you can fit all the Portland high rises in a rinky dink little section of downtown Atlanta. The Atlanta metro area is much larger than Portland, Or. And they go by the metro area, not the population of the city proper. Every city has a difference in square miles because they're all divided up differently. The reason the population of Portland, Oregon is a little higher is because it is larger in square miles than most of the cities you mentioned.

Portland
City Pop: 582,130
City proper size: 145.5 sq mi
Metro Area Pop: 2,217,325

Atlanta:
City Pop: 540,922
City proper size: 132.4 sq mi
Metro Area Pop: 5,975,213

Cleveland:
City Pop: 431,639
City proper size: 82.4 sq mi
Metro area pop: 2,250,871

Minneapolis:
City pop: 385,378
City Proper size: 58.4 sq mi
Metro area Pop: 3,269,814

Kansas City, Mo:
City pop: 482,299
City proper size: 318.0 sq miles
Metro area pop: 2,067,585

Miami:
City pop: 433,136
City proper size: 55.27 sq miles
Metro area pop: 5,547,051

Oakland, Ca:
City pop: 446,901
City proper size: 78.2 sq mi
Oakland Metro area: 2,504,071
(Oakland is also part of the San Francisco/San Jose metro area which has a pop of: 7,299,856)

Salt Lake City:
City pop: 183,171
City proper size: 110.4 sq miles
Metro area pop (SLC/Ogden/Clearfield): 1,130,293
Entire Metro area pop (SLC/Odgen/Provo/Park City/Tooele): 2,298,915

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,045,087 times
Interesting idea, the NFL in Salt Lake City. You have to look at the teams that are constantly involved in relocation rumors, and weigh Salt Lake's chances against other options.

The San Diego Chargers are very likely to leave San Diego, but they are not likely to go much further than Los Angeles. I do not think they'd move to Salt Lake City at all.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are likely not going to leave Jacksonville, but I believe if they do, San Antonio would be the most likely beneficiary. This is because it is within the geographic region of its division, and the league would retain its current alignment.

The Saint Louis Rams have an escape clause written into their contracts with St. Louis and the Edward D. Jones Dome. Something about if their stadium is not one of the top 15 or so facilities by 2014 they can leave without incurring any fines. This is a likely team that Salt Lake City can lobby to bring in, but I do not think they are going to leave St. Louis.

The last team that is often mentioned in relocation talks is the Minnesota Vikings. Of the teams mentioned, the Vikings enjoy the best fan support, it's just the owner who want's to move because he wants a new stadium. With the roof collapsing in the dome, who knows what may come. I believe that the Vikings will stay put, though.

All told, Salt Lake City is a long shot for the NFL. I do not anticipate the league expanding any time soon, and Salt Lake City would face some fierce competition to draw a team that was relocating.

Still, an interesting discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area