Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:21 AM

72 posts, read 117,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSLC View Post
Since Montygirl is in the SLC area, AZCards, I thought you'd agree with her. Didn't you say in another thread that SLC is friendlier than the Utah County torture and pain you've been forced to endure?
The person didn't say "the people in SLC are pretty friendly" they stated it is undeniable that the people in UTAH as a whole are some of the friendliest in America. Try to keep up if you are capable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Montygirl, I just wanted to make a couple of recommendations of things for your family to do. My first suggestion is that you go down to the area just east of the Temple -- where the prominent buildings are the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, the 28-story Church Office Building and the Church Administration Building -- sometime between early- and mid-April. The Church plants new flowers three seasons out of the year, and the spring flowers are out of this world. The summer and fall ones are gorgeous, too. You'll probably want to make another couple of trips during the year. I honestly don't think I've seen any more beautiful gardens anywhere. My second suggestion is that you take your family to the 26th floor observation deck of the Church Office Building. From there you can see three different views of the Salt Lake Valley (east, north, and west). Building hostesses will be onhand to point out the sights to you; it will give you a whole new appreciation for Salt Lake City. The only catch is that the building is not open weekends. You can only do this Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. till 4:30 P.M. (through the rest of March) and from 9:00 A.M. till 5:00 P.M. starting the first weekend of April. Kids love the 26-floors in 19 seconds ride and the views are incredible.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:31 PM

914 posts, read 973,885 times
Oh wow, thanks Katzpur. We went up to the temple the other week and know where you are talking about with the gardens. I may take the kids there in the Easter holidays to see the views as so easy to get there by trax too instead of driving in.

We are hopefully off to Moab this weekend to see the sights. Know all the neighbours in our street now and a new family have moved in 2 doors away and my kids have been out until sunset playing with their kids.

My youngest has 2 buddies over tonight and hearing their laughter as they play out in the yard is just brilliant especially as the weather is so unseasonably warm.

I feel very lucky to be here and appreciate you guys dropping me some tips. Aiming to see as much as we can not only of Utah but of the US

Thanks for all the handy tips everybody they are much appreciated, our bucket list gets bigger by the minute ! My Dad is here in June and hoping to get to a ranch to stay as he loves exploring too and is very excited about his visit to Utah

Old 03-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
We are hopefully off to Moab this weekend to see the sights. Know all the neighbours in our street now and a new family have moved in 2 doors away and my kids have been out until sunset playing with their kids.
Oh, you are in for a real treat! You and your family will absolutely love Moab. How long do you plan to be there, and have you decided yet what activities you're going to try to do? (As always, I have suggestions! )

Just one more thing... I started this thread a long time ago with tourists in mind. But newcomers to Utah may find it useful, too.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 PM

We are only going overnight, so early Sat to late Sunday. Cant wait and kids very excited as are we, saw a bit of history on the place on my daughters field trip to The Natural History museum. Gonna try to cram in as much as possible this weekend but will definitely be a return visit on the cards. Trying to do this weekend as older one starts spring league for soccer next weekend and so things may take a back burner until spring break. Thanks for the link to the thread and thanks to Irman too for the suggestions. Believe the half marathon also on there this weekend. Gonna do a bit of research tomorrow before we leave Sat and have a plan of action. Definitely want to see the inscriptions etc and Canyons Park.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
We are only going overnight, so early Sat to late Sunday. Cant wait and kids very excited as are we, saw a bit of history on the place on my daughters field trip to The Natural History museum. Gonna try to cram in as much as possible this weekend but will definitely be a return visit on the cards. Trying to do this weekend as older one starts spring league for soccer next weekend and so things may take a back burner until spring break. Thanks for the link to the thread and thanks to Irman too for the suggestions. Believe the half marathon also on there this weekend. Gonna do a bit of research tomorrow before we leave Sat and have a plan of action. Definitely want to see the inscriptions etc and Canyons Park.
Wow! That's a long drive for just overnight! Okay, I'm going to give you one suggestion for when you're in Moab that you and your family would absolutely love: A Hummer ride over Hell's Revenge. There are several outfits in Moab that offer this activity and I can absolutely promise you that you would not be disappointed.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's a long drive for just overnight! A Hummer ride over Hell's Revenge. There are several outfits in Moab that offer this activity and I can absolutely promise you that you would not be disappointed.
They might as well get used to the idea that most everything in the USA is not just *around the corner* ...

Come to think of it, the ride down to Moab is not half bad.
Pretty scenery all the way but the stretch between Price and Green River.
If they go south early in the morning, everything is visible, coming home, in dusk,
who cares, been there done that.

Caution, on hiway 6, obey the speed limit(s) and focus !!!

The Hummer ride is about two hours, and yes it is definitely worth it,
according to people who have taken that ride.
We have *followed* one groupe from the air, and it was really good !

I have suggested that Moab is NOT a one trip visit.
Each time you can do something else !
We have been flying there for years, and have not become tired of it yet !

Attached some views we see all the time and never get tired of it !

Speaking about *nothing just around the corner*,
my sister who lived in Curacao, where in the middle of that island you can see both sides ...,
came over to visit us when we lived in Southern California
(a very long time ago, and really happy I do not live there anymore!).
Everywhere we went, she asked, *how far is it*,
and the answer was always : *About two hours*
Heck ... , it takes almost two hours to get just out of town !!
The only thing close within walking distance was the beach !
Sadly where we used to live is now under flight path of LAX,
everything gone and dreary !

The title of this post is
Am I seeing things other are not??
Yes I am seeing things other may never see ...
Attached Thumbnails
Am I seeing things other are not??-moab01.jpg   Am I seeing things other are not??-moab02.jpg   Am I seeing things other are not??-moab03.jpg   Am I seeing things other are not??-moab04.jpg   Am I seeing things other are not??-moab05.jpg  

Am I seeing things other are not??-moab06.jpg   Am I seeing things other are not??-moab07.jpg   Am I seeing things other are not??-moab08.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 03-20-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 PM

We had the same when lived in NZ. To be honest at least you will get a clear run on the road as leaving at 6.30am unlike the UK where it takes you an hour to go 10 miles especially in London & the suburbs. I used to bike to work which was only 1.5 miles and took 10 mins , in the car 30 mins for what should be a 10 minute drive tops . There are 2 of us so one will drive down and one drive back. So worth it. Might do the hummer thing.Definately have to see the arches and as you say not a one trip place. My dad is here in June and may head down that way for a longer stay whilst he is here :-)

Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Montygirl,
IF you run out of things to do or go to:

10 Hikes Every Utahn Should Take Before They Die (And Why) | Blog

I have been on about half of them.
Can't do it anymore ... Crutches and wheel chair does not work on those trails ...

Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM

Well peeps we are just back and did it in 3.5 hours coming back today.
Family absolutely loved it and will definitely go back. Did Arches, & Canyonlands and have invested in an annual pass as gives access to all the major parks in the US. $80 a bargain!

Did some amazing hikes yesterday and today and as you rightly say, more than a one visit place. Vie was fab last night with all the half marathon runners in town too and we loved it there

Good places to eat and enjoyed a cheeky cocktail with dinner after we had been out all day.
Just breathtaking :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area