Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

Yep. I'm downtown almost everyday walking to/from work and beggars hit me up almost everyday. Every one of them gets as polite a "no" as I can muster... it's not like I have anything to spare anyway.

It's just one of those things and isn't worth getting bent out of shape over. The way I figure it, anyone who feels the need to ask me (of all people! ) for money is worse off than me in one way or another. I don't need to make it any worse for them by being nasty or using the "official" Utah strategy: ignoring them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
My wife and I travel a lot and can attest that beggars are rampant everywhere - from Waikiki to LA and NYC. It's definitely a modern trend. Some cities just have it more than others. I experience it more n Las Vegas than I do anywhere else.

Bill

Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
My wife and I travel a lot and can attest that beggars are rampant everywhere - from Waikiki to LA and NYC. It's definitely a modern trend. Some cities just have it more than others. I experience it more n Las Vegas than I do anywhere else.

Bill
Agree about las Vegas, it's incredible. Seems more of a western thing to me, at least there's far far less in northeast. Out here you just don't see those guys with signs at the end of the highway ramps, intersections, etc. they used to be there, but they were shut down years ago. A few weeks ago there was a panhandler working the people going in/out of a brewpub in downtowm SLC. Young kid. My buddy told him to 'get a f***ing job!" and he left. That just isn't tolerated here the way it seems to be in the west.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:17 PM

54 posts, read 89,947 times
Out of all the cities in the United States I've been to, I can honestly say the worst I've seen was in downtown San Jose...So many people priced out of any sort of housing, along with "The Jungle" being raided. SLC doesn't even compare to places like this.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:25 PM

177 posts, read 331,623 times
Salt Lake police take new approach to panhandling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJLgjwhFqFs

Old 04-01-2015, 03:33 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
I am not convinced that 100% of the beggars you see in downtown Salt Lake City are scam artists, but enough of them are that I am pretty careful about doling out cash to people on the streets. Since I am, by nature, kind of trusting and not always a good judge of character, I've worked out a tactic for dealing with these people that, as much of a cop-out as it may be, nevertheless works for me. I go downtown about once a week during the summer months and maybe once a month or so during the rest of the year. As soon as I get out of my car or off public transit, I get out my cell phone and pretend to be involved in a conversation. I can seen panhandlers coming my way, but appear to be so involved with my own business that they simply don't bother even approaching me. If you aren't doing something like talking on the phone, and just try to avoid eye-contact, it doesn't work. They still manage to be so in-your-face that you can't avoid them. For people who have no trouble turning down their requests, the cell phone ploy is unnecessary. But for softies like me, it has proven very effective. I don't have to look like I'm selfish or judgmental, but I'm not out any money either.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I am not convinced that 100% of the beggars you see in downtown Salt Lake City are scam artists, but enough of them are that I am pretty careful about doling out cash to people on the streets. Since I am, by nature, kind of trusting and not always a good judge of character, I've worked out a tactic for dealing with these people that, as much of a cop-out as it may be, >>>>>snip<<<<<
The fact that you have a tactic worked out at all suggests that the issue is pretty pervasive. :-~

Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The fact that you have a tactic worked out at all suggests that the issue is pretty pervasive. :-~
It is. It's almost impossible to go downtown without getting hit up at least once.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It is. It's almost impossible to go downtown without getting hit up at least once.
We once had a serious mouse problem. They were getting into bird seed containers. After getting rid of the bird seed and bird feeders they went elsewhere because there wasn't anything to sustain them anymore. The good people of SLC could easily solve the problem in a similar fashion. Sounds like you're doing your part.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 AM

92 posts, read 111,282 times
Here in Houston Texas the panhandlers will come up to your car while you're sitting at a red light and knock on your car window. Or they will stand there close to your vehicle and just stare at you holding up their signs. And I mean stand there up against your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: