Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbartek1974 View Post
So what's with all the beggars in SLC? Are they mainly in certain locations, like particular intersections or blocks? Or are they wide spread? I recently visited Hollywood, CA and it was freaking horrible! Beggars everywhere! Everyone of them demanding money and if you tried ignoring them they would get right smack in your face. And no matter how far down Hollywood Blvd I would walk I couldn't get past the smell of **** and ****ty pants. Is SLC as bad as that? And why are these folks homeless? Are they long time Utah residents? Are they all big time drug addicts? I see tons of jobs opening up in Indeed.com alone for SLC for no experienced employment seekers but these homeless folks can't get a job?
It's not quite that bad and we do not have a problem to the extent that LA, SF, Sea, Portland, Den have but it's getting worse by the year.

The problem was used to be primarily focused in West Valley and west of downtown near the shelter; which was positioned horribly. Pioneer park over to rio grand, and down to the rescue mission were the main boundaries. Now they camp out all over a dying gateway mall and most crowded intersections coming from I-15 offramps into downtown.

We do have a ton of jobs and there are several programs to help people and specifically single mothers transition from homelessness back into the workforce. They provide money, shelter, training, and parental help.

The problem is these people choose not to work and feed off of people's guilt. Particularly that take advantage of the LDS mormon's charitable value structure and feed off the area like parasitic organisms. The level of aggression is not as high as what you describe but you will start seeing these type of activities. Drug use and needles are pervasive amongst the population as are other crimes. Mental health and other disabilities are pervasive amongst this populus as well.

IMO this issue is a ticking time bomb that nobody is addressing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
It's not quite that bad and we do not have a problem to the extent that LA, SF, Sea, Portland, Den have but it's getting worse by the year.

The problem was used to be primarily focused in West Valley and west of downtown near the shelter; which was positioned horribly. Pioneer park over to rio grand, and down to the rescue mission were the main boundaries. Now they camp out all over a dying gateway mall and most crowded intersections coming from I-15 offramps into downtown.

We do have a ton of jobs and there are several programs to help people and specifically single mothers transition from homelessness back into the workforce. They provide money, shelter, training, and parental help.

The problem is these people choose not to work and feed off of people's guilt. Particularly that take advantage of the LDS mormon's charitable value structure and feed off the area like parasitic organisms. The level of aggression is not as high as what you describe but you will start seeing these type of activities. Drug use and needles are pervasive amongst the population as are other crimes. Mental health and other disabilities are pervasive amongst this populus as well.

IMO this issue is a ticking time bomb that nobody is addressing!
Time bomb? Can you elaborate? What's the explosion that you envision?

Regardless, I have noticed signs downtown along the lines of "Don't feed the panhandlers." Can't recall seeing them before. So somebody in SLC's municipality thinks it's enough of an issue to put street signs up.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Seems like homelessness is more in your face in much of the Western USA. Portland, Or being the worst I have ever seen for cities in that size group.
Partly because metro Portland has about 60 nude strip clubs. Men seduced and lured into paying millions of dollars toward expensive lap dances. Portland's counterpart to Vegas's gambling.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Time bomb? Can you elaborate? What's the explosion that you envision?

Regardless, I have noticed signs downtown along the lines of "Don't feed the panhandlers." Can't recall seeing them before. So somebody in SLC's municipality thinks it's enough of an issue to put street signs up.
figure of speech not mean to be literal. Of course nothing is going to explode or destroy the area. It's more of a problem that is festering in our community that needs to be addressed. The ticking time bomb is more relative to the population getting frustrated with the problem and the homeless getting more aggressive in how the harass the remainder of the population. The explosion will be some series events that lead to extensive violence.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Partly because metro Portland has about 60 nude strip clubs. Men seduced and lured into paying millions of dollars toward expensive lap dances. Portland's counterpart to Vegas's gambling.
If I understand you right, you're saying that the homelessness is, to some significant degree, caused by men wasting money at strip clubs. The obvious corollary is that homelessness would decrease if these clubs were shut down. Can that really be what you're saying?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Either you are being sarcastic and I'm missing the sarcasm, or this is one of the most absurd and ridiculous comments I've ever heard. Portland's homeless population has nothing to do with it's strip clubs. Portland is a draw for 20 somethings who show up with no money and no job, along with the young adults who get addicted to meth. Housing is expensive in Portland and there are not very many jobs. Portlands population boom is the primary cause of homelessness, not it's strip clubs. Ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Be very careful and wary of hiring those "will work for food" people.. That's what led to Elizabeth Smart's abduction and incredible suffering. Her strength of character and tenacity helped her survive her ordeal at the hands of a homeless, severely disturbed, delusional, and violent pair of criminals, one of whom her parents had attempted to help by hiring to do odd jobs around the family's house.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:22 PM

Bumpage..

The problem continues to get worse for salt lake county. If you go west of the gateway mall you will find a hobo village akin to skid row in NYC in the 80's.

They have made a decision to build 4 smaller centers across slc to disperse the population but not sure it will work.

Personally I wish we could transplant them to near kennicot but really don't know of a permanent solution.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:32 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,177 times
Here's the location of where one of those Homeless Shelters will be going:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7221...7i13312!8i6656

It's right across the street from a middle-class Sugar House neighborhood, full of single family homes. How would you feel if your city determined, without your say, that a homeless shelter was going in at the end of your street? Meanwhile there's still the prison boondoggle going on in West Salt Lake and another one of these smaller shelters is going in next to some nice, brand new apartments in the Ballpark neighborhood:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7375...8i6656!6m1!1e1

This is some poor urban planning and it's certain to create numerous issues for those living in Ballpark or near Fairmont Park. Can you imagine how real-estate values are impacted by a homeless shelter moving in next door?

The other two locations are more commercial and not likely to cause as many issues. I will admit that I agree that decentralization of the homeless shelters is the right choice, but I don't believe SLC should be required to host all of them, and it certainly shouldn't be placing them in residential areas.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:21 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I am horrified by the 2 residential locations. Tearing down Dancing Cranes is a poor choice! It will ruin that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: