Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,366 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving to the SLC area this summer. I'll be working very close to the university of utah. My take-home salary per month will be around 3K. I'm looking for a safe and quiet place to stay. I don't mind a 15-20 mins commute. I'm looking to fork around 1K, including utilities, on apartments. Can anyone suggest some apartments to look at? I looked online for a bit, but the reviews throw me off every now and then. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:49 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
The best way to look for apartments is also the least convenient - move here, stay in a short-term rental, and drive around looking for signs out on lawns advertising an apartment for rent. You'll get a place for much cheaper than going for the large corporate owned places. A lot of people advertise with just a sign on their lawn.

A 15-20 minute commute to the University won't put you too far out, because there can be a lot of traffic with all the employees and students traveling along Foothill Blvd. The Avenues offer a quick commute, and are generally safe and can be quiet, and are also close to downtown. You may find something there in your price range, but it would be a tri-plex, four-plex situation that you'd probably only find by driving around.

The large apartment complexes, in my experience and from what I've heard, just aren't that great. They can be expensive, and depending on your neighbors, very loud.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,366 times
I couldn't figure out a way to edit my original post. Given that I'm in my late 20's, I'd prefer to have my own apartment. Nightlife is not a big deal or being close to downtown/restaurants. My only preference is to live alone and safety

Old 05-27-2016, 10:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Look on ksltv.com. it the most used site.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 AM

534 posts, read 1,532,500 times
My kid couldn't find much clean and safe in that price range closer in, in SLC.

Word to the wise...check out yelp before you put a deposit on anything. I'm grateful she only lost $200 to get out of a deposit for a place that was infested, had mold and water leak problems, and drug dealers.

Try going north of SLC (NOT North SLC). LOTS of nice, clean, new safe apartments up there. She found three different complexes that she loved.

Try this, it is near shopping, a great bike/walking path, near light rail (walking distance, and light rail goes to U of U), pet-friendly:

Park Lane Village apartments in Farmington, UT

This one is further out but also nice:

Wingpointe

I think she found these on Zillow. There was another one she really liked, but I can't find it at the moment.

Look at Farmington, Bountiful, etc

Best wishes.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
My two cents: Only look at Bountiful and Farmington if you're 45, have 3 kids and are active in the LDS church. If you're 20-something and single, you'll be driving to Salt Lake any time you need to get out and good luck having anything in common with your neighbors or getting anyone to ever come to your apartment.

There are some older Liberty Wells and Central City apartments you can score in the $1,000 range. It's safe and would be a 15 minute bike and Trax ride to the U.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:14 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharma7 View Post
I couldn't figure out a way to edit my original post. Given that I'm in my late 20's, I'd prefer to have my own apartment. Nightlife is not a big deal or being close to downtown/restaurants. My only preference is to live alone and safety
Not sure if you just wanted to put this for general info, or if it was in reply to my response - but when I put triplexes, etc., I meant your own apartment in a converted house. It would be separate from all other apartments in that home, so you wouldn't be sharing your apartment with anyone. There are some in the avenues that are really cute, and would likely be in your price range (albeit small). But again, those you'll most likely find by driving through the neighborhoods and looking at signs on lawns.

KSL.com is a good place to check, as well (way better than Craigslist, which will likely feature the more corporate-owned places).

I agree that Bountiful and Farmington will be cheaper than SLC, but will also leave you with little to do.

Sugarhouse is an area you could try, though I'm not sure how expensive the rents are. Likewise, East Millcreek or Millcreek (near Sugarhouse, but not in SLC proper) may be be less expensive than SLC, but will probably also be a situation where you'd need to check yard advertising rather than newspapers and/or websites.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
This is not nice.

Tenants in Utah ordered to 'friend' apartment complex on Facebook - NY Daily News

Old 06-01-2016, 04:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Holy crap. And of course, they took down their own FB page. Slimy cowards.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
it was all a big mistake

Tenants irked after apartment firm demanded Facebook 'likes' - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area