Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:53 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I was searching for Chicago apartments and houses for sale in $180,000 - $250, 000 price range (because i can afford that) And the diversity of the city shocked me!

First i was looking at Chicago downtown properties and it WOWDED me!!

I could not believe that for as little as $250,000 i can afford such a nice apartments like that: (real photos taken from realtor.com)

1 bed, 1 bath Zipcode 60601

Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l8b2bd841-c0x.jpg

Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l8b2bd841-c1x.jpg

Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l8b2bd841-c6x.jpg

Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l8b2bd841-c8x.jpg

Another 1 bed 1 bath:

Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l96fcef41-m0m.jpg

Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-lfc7af141-c3x.jpg

And another one:
Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l9ecaeb41-m0m.jpg
Confused about Chicago housing/ apartments. standard of living-l9ecaeb41-m1m.jpg

I thought that Chicago must be a wonderful city! so i tried to search for houses and a big dissapointment there...

they all small, old, usually bricky and honestly nothing special at all! I mean compering to what you can get in some other American cities that size is nothing! (In Houston or Phoenix and many more cities i could get a newly built 3000 sq ft house for that price) So why is it like that? I really wanted to move to chicago but looks like only downtown is really nice and other parts are not...

I also have some pictures of single family homes in Chicago that i could afford and as you can probably see its far away from modern and chic downtown...

(I gonna post them in another post)

or maybe someone have some pictures of residencial single family homes neighborhoods in chicago that are nicer so it would change my opinion about chicago? ;P

I mean its not so horrible but nothing impressive compering to outer suburbs of chicago which have large homes as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The pattern of development in Chicago was such that developers threw together masses of smaller homes for returning GIs in the late 40's / early 50's in a style that became known as "Chicago Bungalow" -- heavy on brick, light on charm. In some neighborhoods that developed well before this period, there are larger more, distinctive properties, but the price is much higher due to the relative uniqueness.

The recent over building has led to an abundance of values in the condo market, but these are typically located in a narrow band that run close to Lake Michigan.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Nice houses in nice Chicago neighborhoods are not in your price range. Houston and Phoenix are considerably less expensive than Chicago.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,343,853 times
So, basically, what you're saying is- "I want to buy a brand new, high square-foot single family dwelling in the absolute best part of the City of Chicago for $250K.. I don't want anything "old". I want brand new, kinda like like Phoenix, Florida or Las Vegas- and I want it to cost as much as Houston, only be in the global Alpha city of Chicago."

That pretty much sum it up?
Because, it does pretty much sum it up and it positively boggles the mind that someone who is able to afford a quarter million dollars for a home doesn't have a mind adequately nimble to process the functional dynamics in play here...

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM

i never said i want a brand new high square foot home in the best part of chicago!
I just thought i could get a little bit more then that for my money...

Guess i just move to downtown because its much more nicer and all the shops are close.
Or maybe i should choose some outer suburbs? like aurora, Plainfield, Joliet?
How long would it take me to get to the Downtown from aurora or joliet if i let's say leave home at 6.00 o'clock morning? Oh and driving 2 hrs to work is not a big deal deal for me because im already driving for that long here (in UK)
and please don't blame me that im asking questions like that.
Oh and PokerPlayer, Houston and Vegas are also global cities

Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
well if driving 2 hours to work is not a big deal then you can just about live in Wisconsin or Indiana and get a huge place compared to Chicago. You really cant compare Houston and Vegas's housing markets to Chicago, you will always feel like your getting ripped off in Chicago. Take a look what you can get for 250k in NYC and then take a look at Chicagos

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
If you really don't see any difference between Houston/Phoenix and Chicago, then you would be wasting your money here.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you really don't see any difference between Houston/Phoenix and Chicago, then you would be wasting your money here.
Hear, hear.

Why not just live in Phoenix?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM

im not moeaning at chicago or anything so i dont understand why some people have to be so mean. i said downtown chicago and downtown apartments are nice and affordable as well as Chicago suburbs im just talking about rest of the city... whats wrong with that?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
I think that the high rise apartments near the lake are generally more than $250k. Your listing might be for a unit that faces west; the glare is awful. Or the unit might be on a less desirable lower floor. And you have to watch out for the condominium assessments. In some cases, the seller is aware that a huge "special assessment" is in the offing for some major maintenance that has to be done. Or the regular assessments are more than in other buildings.

And I think it is unfortunate that most of the replies to your question did not simply explain that the detached housing stock in Chicago typically isn't very modern.

Last edited by Intergalactic; 04-27-2009 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago